• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rem. 700 vtr's claimed accuracy of these guns?

p5200

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 23, 2008
poplar bluff mo.
I bought a .204 model three weeks ago but, have not shot it yet due to the poor inconsistent accuracy reports I've read on a lot of other forums some say they shoot, and some say they are junk. I know Remington claims high accuracy even, at long ranges in their advertisements. All votes will help me and maybe, others make their decisions when buying a new gun. I have to make my decision, to keep or trade and take a big loss. I sure hope I haven't been misled by false claims by Remington. Thanks for all participation!
smile.gif

Re: Rem. 700 vtr's claimed accuracy of these guns?

I voted consistent sub MOA.

I qualify my vote by saying that my VTR has been highly modified & is by no means an off the shelf VTR anymore: 1) muzzle brake chopped, 2) factory trigger replaced with a Timney, 3) action pillar bedded & barrel free-floated.

What caliber do you have and are you using the factory stock still? I plan to get a Timney and also a B&C stock. Also I thought about having my, barrel chopped on my .204 and re crowned all depends on how this gun shoots stock with my hand loads. Thanks!
smile.gif

My VTR is in .308 Win.
I like a 1.5-2 pound trigger pull so I installed a Timney.
Can't afford a B&C stock & I kinda like the feel of the factory stock with the big rubbery fore-end. Divorce papers would be handed to me the day after the VISA bill arrived if I bought a B&C. Anyway, the rifle shoulders naturally for me with the factory green stock so I kept it.
I didn't like the gimmicky Star Wars look of that "muzzle brake" (more correct terminology would be a flip compensator).
My 105 pound wife shoots one of the old original issue Remington Model 7's with the 18.5" barrel & full power hand loads. The gun & the 2-7x33mm Leupold scope together only weighs in at 5.5 pounds so why the frak would I at over 200 pounds need a brake on a 700? The 2 useless inches of extra alder grabbing barrel length & the silly sales gimmick Star Wars brake went into the garbage pail. I recess crowned the muzzle the standard 1/4" from the face of the remaining barrel.
When marketers start making engineering decisions things start to slide downhill fast in gun manufacturing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pricedo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Divorce papers would be handed to me the day after the VISA bill arrived if I bought a B&C. Anyway,</div></div>

Lol, Im in the same boat.

I was shotting next to someone with a VTR the otherday at the range, and he couldnt hold MOA. I dont know if it was the ammo, him, or what but I think he was embarrassed that my stock sps tactical was shooting one hole groups. I have read decent things about them so im sure it is a sub MOA gun. I think its that 90% of people dont relize how important the ammunition actually is.

I think I would at least shoot the thing before bitching about what it will or won't do. You didn't dig up all this negative info before you bought the rifle?...amazing

Why would you make any decision with out shooting it??? WTF

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shibby</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why would you make any decision with out shooting it??? WTF </div></div>

No doubt.... Get off the computer for a little while and go shoot.

If all the other Internet kids jumped off a bridge would you too?

What I will say is not VTR specific but on Remington in general. I read post after post about "Big Green" 700s shooting one hole groups as mentioned above. Those who buy the "one hole" stock R700s should go to Vegas and get rich. They are obviously very lucky!
When I buy a R700 now it for the donor action. My last R700, a 700 SPS Tactical no less, had the worst chamber I have ever seen. It was so chewed up that it would not chamber a factory round at all. A call to Remington CS and I was told that I had to take it to an "authorized repair center". I did. I was told that the minimum charge (WTF???? Charge for obvious BS from factory) was $39 and it would be two months B4 they could look at it. I was finally able to convince CS that the rifle needed their attention and they had the ARC send it to them. It came back in two weeks with a new chamber. Finally, I could go shoot it. Well, the supposed 1 in 9 twist would not stabilize any bullet over 60 grains. It shot well over MOA with what it liked and tumbled the rest. So I just decided I had over paid for a donor action and had it built by APA.
Also, a buddy just bought one of the Dick's specials, a varmint contour in 308. It was a disappointment as well.
Shoot your VTR. Hell, who knows. Maybe you should go to Vegas too.

I have some friends with the 22-250, 204, and .308. The .308 wouldn't shoot for shit. the first two or three shots would never be less than 1.5moa at a hundred and the next three shots might be as much as 3 inches off in three different directions. The owner bought a used barrel from a hide member and had it installed by a smith. It will now shoot .75 groups with FGGM. The other guys small bore VTR's shoot very well.

Your poll won't get you the information you seek.

Every manufactuirer claims 'high accuracy' and at 'long ranges'. It's impossible to disprove a claim like that as 'false'.

When you ask about 'MOA', you mean MOA at what range(s)?

Fact is, it's a factory gun, and you knew that when you bought it. The reason you paid a competitive price for it is because you purchased a crap-shoot: maybe it has a round chamber, maybe it doesn't; maybe it has a good barrel, maybe it doesn't; maybe it was chambered and rifled using new tooling, maybe it wasn't. So, maybe your particular example shoots well. And maybe it doesn't.

As much as I hate to sound like a defender for Remington's (lack of) quality control, there's nothing 'false' about any accuracy 'claim' that can be proven using a poll on the internet.

And no one else's opinion will get you any closer finding out for yourself, which is what is required when you buy a factory rifle.

Mine shot MOA with a HS takeoff stock and Federal 168gr match. After a Rifle Basix trigger and handload development it is under MOA. Handloading I'm sure had more to do with it than trigger. I knew the factory stock was junk so I had one in the mail the day I bought the rifle.

None of my rifles shoot MOA at 25 yards. Do I have a gun problem?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KnabstrupperUSA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Like others have said. Go shoot... </div></div>

Hope all the "go shoot it first" and don't make opinions in a vacuum admonitions aren't aimed at me.

Who do you think "chopped" & modified the VTR in the pictures......the tooth fairy??

I shot the VTR extensively before and after I modified it and it's a better more accurate & compact rifle after free floating, recess crowning and chopping (removing the useless muzzle brake)the barrel, pillar bedding the action & replacing the factory trigger with a fully adjustable Timney than it was before.

I've been doing this for a very long time & I don't make unsupported statements based on anecdotal information. If I proffer an opinion it is based on "hands on" experience.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pricedo</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KnabstrupperUSA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Like others have said. Go shoot... </div></div>
Hope all the "go shoot it first" and don't make opinions in a vacuum admonitions aren't aimed at me. </div></div>

Don't think so. It was based on the OP. Surely you wouldn't claim 1/2 MOA accuracy without shooting your gun. Would you?
Besides, I think Remington's claim on the VTR was that the shape of the barrel made it stiffer and would help it shoot better than a plain old round barrel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shoot4fun</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pricedo</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KnabstrupperUSA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Like others have said. Go shoot... </div></div>
Hope all the "go shoot it first" and don't make opinions in a vacuum admonitions aren't aimed at me. </div></div>

Don't think so. It was based on the OP. Surely you wouldn't claim 1/2 MOA accuracy without shooting your gun. Would you?
Besides, I think Remington's claim on the VTR was that the shape of the barrel made it stiffer and would help it shoot better than a plain old round barrel. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-weight: bold">Surely you wouldn't claim 1/2 MOA accuracy without shooting your gun. Would you?</span></div></div>

YUP!.........just picked the number off the top of my head.

Spent a day in the shop & an evening on the lathe basically rebuilding a gun and then didn't bother to shoot it.

Somehow there's a bag containing 300 fired brass still in the bottom of my to-be-reloaded drawer from the VTR before & after shoots.

Couldn't free float the barrel without removing the brake because the upward vented gas was causing the free floated barrel to destructively "bottom out" on the barrel channel and that would have eventually destroyed any pillar or glass bedding.

I found the point of impact moved perceptibly after a continuous string of shots when the barrel gets hot because the triangular shaped barrel doesn't expand or contract evenly like a round barrel does & the resulting internal stresses affect the barrel harmonics. For hunting where 1 or 2 shots from a cold barrel is the norm the effect is negligible.

The triangular barrel & the ridiculous "Star Wars" muzzle brake are what happens when media orientated marketers are allowed to make engineering decisions.

Remington needs to get away from gimmick marketing & back to quality.

Big Green used to be my goto gun company when I was looking for a new gun........now my goto gun manufacturer is Savage Arms.

I've only been to the range w/ mine a couple of times, but I shot sub MOA the last 2 times I went. Stock rifle, w/ a Mark 4 on top.

photo-90.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dieselgeek</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've only been to the range w/ mine a couple of times, but I shot sub MOA the last 2 times I went. Stock rifle, w/ a Mark 4 on top.

photo-90.jpg

</div></div>

3 shot group?

My son's VTR in .223 shoots much better since bedding the action. Timney trigger helped on the shooter end.
I will say that his is very specific as to what it likes. Forget about military ball ammo. With the handloads it likes, he can get ten shot groups into an inch and a half. That's pretty damn good in my book.

As far as the triangular barrel, I'm sure Remington spent a lot of time and money researching it, but I'm not convinced it does anything helpful for accuracy- but I don't think it hurts, either.

I can't make an apples to apples comparison, but the barrel seems to stay cooler than I'd expect after longer shooting strings. ANd contrary to the above poster's experience, his barrel temp seems to have none or negligible effect on accuracy. In fact, some of his best groups have been shot with a hot barrel.

I'd be interested in seeing the engineering/science behind the statement that the triangular barrel will react to temperature changes differently/in a more inconsistent manner than a round barrel.

photo-90.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dieselgeek</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yeah it was just 3 shots. </div></div>

<span style="font-weight: bold">NICE !!</span>

I'm a total noob as well. I've shot all my life, but just started trying to learn real accurate and long distance stuff.