• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rem 700P 300WM. Ammo Question

GUNNER75

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Jun 29, 2005
    SW KS
    Here we go, about 6 weeks prior to my first elk hunt and the factory rig I set up doesn't shoot.

My first question is what bullet weight does this rifles tend to shoot better? 150? or 180?

Never played with the 300WM much, but had this rifle and thought I would use it. Bedded it to a 2956 B&C, installed MK4 rings and base that I had, topped it with a 4.5-14x50 TMR M1 (have been running this scope on my .260 without issue).

Bought 5 boxes of Hornady 165gr Interbond rounds due to lack of reloading time lately. First two boxes were the older side open (Frontier Brass), and the last three where the traditional end flap (Hornady labled brass) (different lot numbers is what I am saying and maybe manufactured years apart???).

Sight the thing in with the side open boxes of ammo. 100 to 500, dialed in. Printed a dope sticker, attached to the scope. I burnt up 30 rounds playing with it. Shot pretty darn good.

Went out today to shoot it a couple times for something to do. Hit at 100, 200, had to come up 1.5MOA at 300 to hit, 400 and 500 no dice. WTF over?

Windage seemed to be off, similar conditions, I am thinking ammo?

My dope was:
    100yrd - Zero
    200yrd - 1.5
    300yrd - 3
    400yrd - 6
    500yrd - 8.5

Ended up blowing up the remaining 3 boxes tonight jacking with it. All seems good on set up, rings tight, base, etc etc.

Looks like I am going to roll some using the Hornady brass.

Any suggestions? What hunting bullet to run?

Thanks,
    Wade

Re: Rem 700P 300WM. Ammo Question

First Elk hunt?
    Forget the 500 yard BS, Get inside 300. (Remember all the Elk archers kill at 40 yards or less)

Federal Premium with Barnes 168 or 180 will shoot 3 in 1" @100 and kill any Elk that lives.

Sight in 3" high at 100 which will put your point blank range on an Elk to at least 350. No knob twiddling required.

Could be tough year as it's been so warm, the Elk are still very high and hanging in the black timber until dark. Pray for early, heavy snow & cold.

Good hunting!

I would like to forget the 500yrd BS, but where we are hunting, that distance is not out of the question based on previous hunts there. I am hoping for a 300ish shot.

Should have had the rifle set up some time back and didn't get it done. Ammo availability is thin, and no more 165gr IB Hornady around. So it is either handload, or take a different rig.

Just surprised, it is looking as the ammo is the big difference and I don't usually buy stock in that excuse.

BTW, Ranch owner reported 60 to 70 cows and some spikes. He is looking for the bulls to start coming in shortly. Fingers crossed that this happens.

Beyond that, I noticed a lot of factory barreled rigs prefer the lighter bullets, or what I have played with does. Wondering if this is true with the 300WM as well?

I shoot federal premium 180 TSX. Zero at 200 and just use the mil holdovers.
    1/2 @ 300
    1.25 @ 400
    2 @ 500

I honestly think you can shoot an elk with a prone shot in zero wind out to 500. Farthest I've shot one is 425. The other gentlemen is right that most are shot closer. I've killed two with my 300 win mag at under 50 yards.

MT, ID & WY Game & Fish statistics show the vast majority of Elk are shot at 150 yards or less. There are very few shooters who can shoot well enough to consider a 500 yard shot under real world field conditions (wind, mirage, animals moving, no bench rest, etc. etc.) If you are hunting a ranch, and the "guide" can't get you closer than 500 yards..... well IMO he's no hunter.

Have you cleaned the gun yet? My rem 300WM did the same thing. I found that I can't get more than 20 rds down the factory tube before the accuracy goes...quickly.

Run some bore foam then copper solvent down it and try again.

Forget the light bullets, that's not why you get a 300WM. Shoot 180s or 200s, I prefer the 200s and hunt with the 200 Accubond.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GUNNER75</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would like to forget the 500yrd BS, but where we are hunting, that distance is not out of the question based on previous hunts there. I am hoping for a 300ish shot.

Should have had the rifle set up some time back and didn't get it done. Ammo availability is thin, and no more 165gr IB Hornady around. So it is either handload, or take a different rig.

Just surprised, it is looking as the ammo is the big difference and I don't usually buy stock in that excuse.

BTW, Ranch owner reported 60 to 70 cows and some spikes. He is looking for the bulls to start coming in shortly. Fingers crossed that this happens.

Beyond that, I noticed a lot of factory barreled rigs prefer the lighter bullets, or what I have played with does. Wondering if this is true with the 300WM as well? </div></div>

Sounds more like a cleaning issue to me,I use Montana Xtreme copper solvent myself,if it was shooting well and then went to shit,I might check the scope mounts/rings also,especially if you just mounted it.

My Rem 700PSS 300WM is my primary rifle for LR,I never shoot anything less than a 180 Accubond,the 180 ballistic tips are cheaper for practice and have the same BC.

Checked the prices on premium factory ammo for 300WM lately?I would say handload a quality bullet in the 180-210gr range and get some practice in with it.

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Have you cleaned the gun yet? My rem 300WM did the same thing. I found that I can't get more than 20 rds down the factory tube before the accuracy goes...quickly.</span></span>

I had this exact problem as well. Have since re-barreled the rifle but I long as I kept the old barrel clean the rifle shot consistently.

One of my 300 WM is VERY ammo sensitive. USing anything it doesn't like, will gove give or three sub minute shots, then one or two flyers, like 5-6 inches at 200. It will not shoot anything but Fed Premium Barnes out of it and it shoots those very well out to 500. The other 300 is not nearly as picky, but all I feed either one is 180gr TSX or MRX. My BIL used one to shoot an aoudad at 400 lasered yards last October, one shot, 180gr MRX, DRT.

Out to 500 yards, the 180grain is GTG. The Barnes stuff is a dead killer if delivered to the correct spot, good internal damages. If you however haven't put in the practice time, limit your practical range to much less than the 500 yards, or prepare for disappointment. Wind calls are not easily learned during a hunt. IF you are already experienced at these ranges, my apologies.

Hmmm, and do clean the barrel before trying the Barnes, other wise you are wasting your time.

Good luck!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ATH</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Have you cleaned the gun yet? My rem 300WM did the same thing. I found that I can't get more than 20 rds down the factory tube before the accuracy goes...quickly.

Run some bore foam then copper solvent down it and try again.

Forget the light bullets, that's not why you get a 300WM. Shoot 180s or 200s, I prefer the 200s and hunt with the 200 Accubond. </div></div>

I would ditto both of these. Even with my hand-lapped match barrel I have to clean the copper out a lot more frequently than a lot of guys here recommend, because I can watch it on paper (or steel). AB's and AMAX's fouled the worst, SMK's are so hard I can shoot 3x as many without a problem.

200 AB's in my stock barrel (1:11) twist were unbelievably accurate out to 900+ yards (the longest I could shoot at the time) I loaded them at just over 2900 fps in a 24" barrel. I haven't tried them in my new barrel. Going to try SMK's and AMAX's this year and see how they fare.

John

Ok, I will clean it up.

Have some 180gr Accubonds, H1000, and some GM215's that I will be cooking up this week.

Thanks for the info fellas.

Gunner,try some RL22 if you have any around,my friends and I that shoot the 300WM have good luck with it.

From reading this thread,I guess I'm not the only one having fouling problems in the factory barrel,brand new out of the box,I cleaned it and it was a bitch getting all the black crap out of it.It ain't hand lapped brothers!!