• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Rem 700p .338LM optics choices...opinions?

BB KoncepZ

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Dec 6, 2011
Alabama
decided to build another 700. went with a 700p .338 Lapua. i wanna nail down my optic choice...with that said, i dont wanna go overkill since i wont be able to shoot over a thousand yards or so. i dont really have a budget but i would like to keep it below $1000 or so if possible. but im not gonna skimp so whats some good options to look into? thanks

Re: Rem 700p .338LM optics choices...opinions?

Welcome, Its almost impossible to recommend a scope to someone unless they are looking for specific differences between certain models. Its a very subjective and personal choice.

Please give these a look,
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1938091#Post1938091

and

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=378812#Post378812

Find the features your looking for given the guidelines above and do some on line shopping. When you have narrowed it down to a few and have more specific questions regarding quality, or features it will be much easier for everyone to give you good advice.

thanks man i will check them out.
before i joined on here i was lookin at a Leupold Mk.4 lr/t and the SWFA SS HD....

leaning toward the Leupold mark 4 6.5-20x50 lr/t, burris low or medium rings, and an egw one piece hd picatinny rail. although i dont wanna spend this much, i feel this is a good balance for the gun. its not way overkill for my setup and it allows for a little room to grow. when i started i wanted to keep the scope around $700 or so, oh well, so much for that....

I looked at that very same scope. I own several Leupold's and they are very good. I, personally, would look closer at the SS HD before put put down the cash. Its very hard to find anyone who has not been impressed with the quality of the glass on the SS HD.

I dont know about the Burris rings, but the EGW HD base is a good part. You will want an incline base more then likely with the 338LM to get the most out of it long range. 20MOA is a safe all around base, depending on the internal elevation range of the scope you choose you and the range you would like to shoot you may want a 30 or 40MOA base.

I have the same rifle, and I've mounted a Leupold Mk4 8.5-25,with a Nightforce 20moa base and Burris XTR rings.Very happy with the setup.

For under 1k your best options are Weaver 3-15, Vortex PST and Bushnell elite for FFP scopes. There are alot of options for SFP scopes under 1k.

Just curios but why did you pick the 338 lapua mag for 1k and under shots? Also the 338LM and anything even remotely related to a budget just dont mix well.

Does anybody know if the leupold mark 4 6.5-20x50 will work on my 700p with low rings on an egw picatinny rail? Measuring it visuay it should be close. Some say yes and some know...any ideas?

Also, is there a major difference in the egw base and the ege hd base?