• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rem 700Police, 6.8 spc, 26" fluted barrel?

jamesZ71

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 18, 2009
Sarasota,FL
looking at getting a Rem 700Police, 6.8 spc, 26" fluted barrel for $650 new is it worth it and how is this caliber,what range are they good out to and what kind of barrel life should i get?
thank you
url]
[/img]

Re: Rem 700Police, 6.8 spc, 26" fluted barrel?

There's much better cartridges to choose from for long range.How far away do you plan on shooting?

Steve

I have one of those brand new but have yet to shoot it. It's got a bit more power then the 5.56 (.223) and would be a good 300-400 yard rifle IMHO. I hear others with these say they are getting sub minute groups at 100 to 300 yards with good 110 grain load developement from the PSS. If you check out the ballistics of the old .257 Roberts it's very similar. There are not many shooters with bolt guns in that caliber for a number of reasons... mainly because it was developed for the AR/M4 series rifles. For long range.... it's a given that there are many better choices. It's a great deer hunting caliber.

i have a savage 10 in 308 just looking into a remington 700

I ordered 2 of these from CDNN, not really interested in caliber, but for an action decent stock and bottom metal its a great start for a project rifle. plan on pulling the barrels when I get head home and GB'ing them, outa get em down to $575 into each action/stock/bottom metal not too shabby, I am unsure of the bolt face size, it should be bigger than a 223 but smaller than 308, either way no problem for a good smith

I say keep the gun a 6.8. I have the same thing, that has been sent to GAP for some good treatment. Using the Hornady 110 grain Vmax with h335 and .010" off the lands and grooves, my best 100 yard group was .441" outside diameter to outside diameter.

I have about 1200 in mine and will shoot sub MOA and thats me shooting. Think what it would be like with a pro doing it. There are alot of 3K and up custom guns that will barely shoot that.

I havent gotten a chance to shoot it over a crono yet or past 100 yards, but next weekend there is a dog town calling my name. I have 500 rounds to see what this baby can do.

Rechamber to 6.8 SPCII chamber. (Basically lengthening the throat) The Remington/SAAMI chamber is fail, and the barrel twist rate is too fast. You want a longer leade, 1/11" or slower twist 3 or 4 groove rifling. The SAAMI chamber causes the cartridge to reach a premature pressure ceiling..by lengthening the throat you get less pressure spike and the slower twist rate + less resistance from the diff. rifling configuration allows you to get higher velocities than whats possible with SAAMI spec ammo and chamber. Really you are selling yourself short buying a Remington 6.8 SPC when you can just get a .270 Winchester.

Replace the barrel,chambered in 6mm Hagar with a long throat.Should get you to 2900fps with 105's.

Steve

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Poke</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I ordered 2 of these from CDNN, not really interested in caliber, but for an action decent stock and bottom metal its a great start for a project rifle. plan on pulling the barrels when I get head home and GB'ing them, outa get em down to $575 into each action/stock/bottom metal not too shabby, I am unsure of the bolt face size, it should be bigger than a 223 but smaller than 308, either way no problem for a good smith </div></div>

Same bolt face as 7.62X39. That cartridge is chock full of "Meh". I'd step right over it on my way to something else. Its claim to fame is retro-fitting in an AR15. In a bolt gun it makes no sense at all.

.223, 22-250, .243, 260 Rem, 6.5X47, 7-08, .308. Take your pick, all make more sense than 6.8SPC.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steve123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Replace the barrel,chambered in 6mm Hagar with a long throat.Should get you to 2900fps with 105's.

Steve </div></div>

Is that going to require another bolt?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: glock10mmman</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steve123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Replace the barrel,chambered in 6mm Hagar with a long throat.Should get you to 2900fps with 105's.

Steve </div></div>

Is that going to require another bolt?
</div></div>

You better investigate a source of new brass for the Hagar, which is longer then the 6.5 Grendel. The 6 mm Hagar is based on a shortened, neck down .30 Remington case.

You may wish to consider the 6mmAR which is based on the 6.5 Grendel and commercial available.

Good luck

Jerry

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steve123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Replace the barrel,chambered in 6mm Hagar with a long throat.Should get you to 2900fps with 105's.

Steve </div></div>

With a bolt 6.8 that speed should be easily attainable

I don't know if 6.8SPC-30rem based cartridges are the same size bolt face as 6.5 Grendel/7.62x39/PPC based cartridges? Can anybody chime in and say for sure if they are or not ?

Also there are other wildcat cartridges bases off 6.8SPC I've seen before when researching for a build.I had built an AR-15 in 6mmART40 which is based off 6.5 Grendel but the main reason was that the 6.5 Grendel is a shorter case and better suited for 105's at mag length vs a 6-6.8 wildcat cartridge in AR-15 platform.With a bolt action the 6.8 might be better suited because you can seat the bullet out farther still.One thing for sure is the brass is cheaper and easier to come by with 6.8.However the 6.5 Grendel brass is some really high quality stuff.

Steve

.422 case head, IIRC, vs. .445 for PPC/M43/Grendel.

There you go, doesn't sound like it would be cost effective to change from a 6.8 Rem case cartridge. I would be surprised that someone has not necked it down.

Good luck

Jerry

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jerry M</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There you go, doesn't sound like it would be cost effective to change from a 6.8 Rem case cartridge. I would be surprised that someone has not necked it down.

Good luck

Jerry </div></div>

Kinda curious as to what would happen if someone necked it down to a 223 bullet? Kinda like a 22-250 with the barrel burning?

From a previous 6.8 owner...I like what glock10mmman is thinking...anyone try this or know anything towards necking one down? Not to far off a .22-284...I might have to buy mine in LTR back now.

The 6.8 in a bolt gun is just silly. It makes some faint sense in a AR 15 due to magazine/action limitations (Of course an AR 10 in 308 makes a lot more sense to kill people). Remember it is a SHORTENED 30 Remington which in full size was a 30-30 rimless. I had the necked down version (25 Remington) that in the Model 30 (a commercial P17 US Enfield) would just blow the 6.8 out of the water. Further the same action size and rifle weight as a 6.8 700 can support a 260, 7mm08 or 308, so why not have a real rifle?
If someone GAVE ME a 6.8 700, it might be fun to have a .277/30 Remington wildcat chamber reamer made up. Probably could get half way between the 6.8 and the real 270 WCF. $650 will buy you any number of minty used 700s in any caliber you desire.
Good shooting!

Messed with a couple of the 6.8's they were fun but not really bolt action material. I'd bet a barrel would last about forever they are not overbore or speedy. Good coyote gun with 90 grain bullets. Converted one to 270/08. Got pretty expensive real fast. Was kinda cool for awhile just not worth the effort or money for a glorified 7-08.