• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Rem 700tws action

USMC5811

Private
Minuteman
May 15, 2009
Massachusetts
My Rem 700tws twists when I tighten the action into the bedding. The barrel moves to the left in the free float portion of the stock and does not lay in the middle. I was curious if anyone knew the reason for this, and if it might have an affect on accuracy. The rifle shoots sub moa but I've always wondered if this may have an affect overall accuracy? If so, possible remedies? I appreciate it.

Re: Rem 700tws action

Sounds like either the lug isn't aligned properly or the action wasn't properly set in the stock when bedded.

If it's bugging you that much you could always re-bed or check the lug for alignment.

The 700pss came with a HS precision aluminum bedded stock. That was part of the original tactical weapons system. I've had the rifle for years but I have always been curious. I wanted to clarify that it is an aluminum bed.

It's been like this since day one?

I see alot of HS stocks come through with misalignment issues. If this is an unbedded rifle it sounds like there is some tolerance stacking in both the receiver and aluminum v-block. As long as the barrel is not touching the stock at any point and no drastic receiver binding is happening you are probably just fine except for how it looks in the channel.

Does it affect accuracy? Most likely. Will you be able to shoot 1/8 moa groups after fixing it? Probably not.

Should be easily fixed with a bed job from a good gunsmith.

Ern

Those HS stocks barrel channels seem to be crooked as hell. The ones I've seen are....

Like said above, either forget about it, or have it bedded by a GOOD gunsmith.

Having it bedded wrong will only make things worse.

Yes, It has been like this since day one from Remington. I know that it is tight in the bedding at 65 pds, but can it affect shot to shot accuracy? I've always wondered. As it is torqued in you can see the barrel start drifting to the left in the channel. It does pass a "dollar bill test"running the barrel to the action so I know there is a free float. I've shot for years with the rifle but I am at the stage where I'd like to see what else I can do with it accuracy wise. Time for a McMillan perhaps, or as suggested a bedding job on the HS precision; if thats more cost effective and can potentially improve accuracy.

There are some good threads around here on how to bed an action yourself. It all depends on your level of willingness to learn. 7mmRM has a great thread on it. It seems a little overhwelming at first, but it's not bad. At the worst, you'll have to remove the marine tex with a dremel and start over.

I too, have had an HS pss stock that was crooked as hell.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMC5811</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> but can it affect shot to shot accuracy? </div></div>

Yes. I had a 300WM 700P and it would print two seperate groups when it was supposed to be one. I did everything I could think of and nothing helped. I had it bedded and it shot great and the problem was gone. Those "drop in" HS stocks aren't very drop in sometimes.