• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rem/Age Swap Complete

jlorensen

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Dec 9, 2020
Kansas City
Shot my 22-250 a couple weeks ago, and shortly after, decided to rebarrel to 6.5 Creedmoor. After some research here, and several questions answered, I ordered a bead blasted 24" barrel with matching recoil lug and barrel nut from Northland Shooter's Supply. Broke the factory barrel loose from the action, cleaned everything up, and reassembled this morning.......hopefully it shoot well. I'm no photographer, but I took a few pics along the way.
stock.jpg

20211211_093156 (1).jpg

20211211_093922 (1).jpg

20211211_093927 (1).jpg

20211218_142952.jpg

20211219_090914.jpg

20211219_092316.jpg

Nice, getting ready to do a 223 like this myself. How long did it take NSS to ship your barrel? Did the factory barrel come off ok?

Reactions: jlorensen
Took about 2 weeks to get the barrel.....some of that time was for bead blasting. I also picked a barrel they had in stock.....initially planned on a shorter length, and it was 20 weeks out.

Factory barrel came off ok....had trouble getting grip on the barrel initially, but used a small strip of leather between barrel and wood shims and it came loose without much issue.

I've done this several times with astounding results. Those barrels are extremely accurate! It's impossible for me to justify a super high-end custom build when the Remage barrels from NSS do what they do.
This is my 2nd, 1st was a Savage 10.....I couldn't agree more.

Nice job. How does his Remage recoil lug adapter work? Was there a little wiggle room with it? I've done a few with the Wheeler getting the recoil lug lined up can be a little bit of a pain.

Nice job. How does his Remage recoil lug adapter work? Was there a little wiggle room with it? I've done a few with the Wheeler getting the recoil lug lined up can be a little bit of a pain.
The NSS recoil lug adapter just screws into their action wrench and perfectly aligns the recoil lug. Holds it in place while you set headspace and torque the barrel nut....really simple design.

I love Criterion prefits. With some work they will always shoot 1/2 moa at close range. I have had several and have never had a problem getting that. Some have been insanely accurate.

I have had my gunsmith chamber a few Criterion blanks as well and the accuracy has been insane every time.

All scoped up and ready for the range. Also took a second to measure up a COAL...2.856 to the lands. I've often read "just seat .060" off the lands and shoot it". This puts me just shy of 2.80, and fits the internal box quite well. I've got a couple boxes of factory ammo to try before the reloading starts though.
20211220_171029.jpg

Why so long?
Lots of stuff on the shelf but those custom configurations that aren’t stocked already get to stand in line and wait to be made.
I’ve had them come in well under the quoted timeline as well as when quoted, just sort of depends on where that synchs up with their production schedule.

Glad it went so easy for you, and you will have to let us know how it shoots. I bought the tools from them to do both Remages that I just built, and James was a standup guy to deal with at NSS.

I like his tool. Before he came out with that we were stuck with something like this and I still am. Eyeball it on the Wheeler and then true it with this adapter. His action wrench and adapter avoids this extra step.

I have NSS action wrench and lug adapter and it to do the Badger or PTG over size recoil lugs for Remingtion, you will ether need longer Allen screws or recut the angle at 6 to 6.5 degrees and make it wider (I cut mine in a Bridgeport mill). The depth is fine though, just the width and angle needs to be worked to make it fit those style of lugs fit fully.

Lots of stuff on the shelf but those custom configurations that aren’t stocked already get to stand in line and wait to be made.
I’ve had them come in well under the quoted timeline as well as when quoted, just sort of depends on where that synchs up with their production schedule.
Thought maybe it was a Shillen through NSS. I did that for a .244 Remington. But I think it took about 12 weeks back then including sending in a couple of dummy cartridges with the 110 SMK. I forgot to send them to Shillen and NSS had to call to remind me. NSS is a good outfit.

Just a shout to NSS as well. Ordered a barrel last Friday 4:45, shipped today...they had it on the shelf. Just good folks to deal with. Its a Criterion and expect it will shoot very well on my Bro's deer rifle...

ZY

Reactions: Longguns
I’ve got 2-6XC’s (24”&28”, and a 6BR -28”)from NSS. Criterion prefits for Remage. I don’t think I will ever have another shouldered barrel. I like doing it myself and tinkering around. They shoot very good too. You’ll enjoy them. It kind of reminds me of a Thompson Center Contender or Encore and I can swap the barrels on a bolt gun just as easy and they shoot great.

First range session is in the books. After a few rounds to zero, this rig proceeded to shoot groups slightly under 1" at 100 yds....I need to measure a little better, but tape measure from the truck shows about 7/8" average. I'll work up handloads now, as these groups were shot with Winchester Extreme Point ammo (140gr, I think). I'd hoped to try some match ammo, however, this Winchester was all I could find that didn't require chopping off a pinky to include with payment (Damn Gunbroker).

I should be getting a replacement trigger today, a Timney....excites to give it a try.

Thats a nice rig! Did You order the manners with the barrel channel for the barrel nut??

Nice looking rifle. Put a bipod on it instead of the bag. Is that the Winchester Extreme Point Ammo in the pic? That has a lot of exposed lead. Now your heading down the rabbit hole where you have to have this and next that…. Good Luck, Enjoy, The hole just gets deeper and more expensive..

Nice looking rifle. Put a bipod on it instead of the bag. Is that the Winchester Extreme Point Ammo in the pic? That has a lot of exposed lead. Now your heading down the rabbit hole where you have to have this and next that…. Good Luck, Enjoy, The hole just gets deeper and more expensive..
Thanks.....it is Extreme Point, though it's a polymer tip.....reminds me of "green tip" .223 ammo, lol. As for the rabbit hole.....I've been digging into it for about 30 yrs now 😁

Reactions: Longguns
Funny, I have the same bags.. :LOL: I use bags on the bench, but as of late I have been using an Atlas CAL, but bags are better on the bench when shooting paper.

Yea, it seems the lower tier scopes that have cross hairs are rather thick, like they think your blind. I like recitals like the Nightforce MIL-R F1 since I tend to dial my elevation and hold over on the windage. If you think you're going to do hold overs for elevation as well, there are quite a few low budget scopes out there, like Vortex Dimondback Tactical, Sig Saur Tango 4, Burris RT, Bushnell Match Pro.

Reactions: jlorensen
NSS only stocks finished barrels in certain lengths. Said they only keep 223 MTU contour in 26". The 22 week time is from Criterion
I bought that same barrel for my 223. Just finished loading up some 75 eld-m’s. I’ll shoot it next Friday.