• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rem. LTR vs. Rem 5R

InTheFace

Private
Minuteman
Apr 29, 2009
North Texas
Im learning daily so please forgive me. Im looking to purchase one of these rifles listed above in 308. I want the best bang for the buck. I hear great things about the 5R but I dont really want a 24" barrel. Does anybody have experience with the two so I can make a decision. The rifle would also be used to hunt sometimes but I would like to be able to shoot long distance. Thanks for any help.

PJ

Re: Rem. LTR vs. Rem 5R

If you're going to hunt, and don't want a 24" barrel, then get the LTR.

If you want a shorter barrel, my vote would be a M700SPS-Tactical and get a B&C Light Tactical stock.

5r should in theory shoot better.

However the LTR would be easier on you for hunting.

I like the idea of the stainless action on the 5R

The LTR also has a slightly shorter stock. You may want the regular sized stock, if so get a 5R or a regular 700P and if its too heavy up front, just have it cut down to 20" (and get it threaded while you're at it).

Intheface,

It's not just the length 24" vs 20", it's the weight. The 5 R is close to 2 lbs heavier. That's a function of a the 5R's barrel contour, length and the fact that the LTR has a fluted barrel.

They are both very accurate, but the LTR is more hunting friendly. Friendly in that it is shorter and lighter. It does not give up much, if anything, in the accuracy department compared to the 5R.

I had a 5R, and sold it and bought a LTR. They are both good, but the LTR is more man portable.

Bob

I am a person of XXL body frame, so I can see how the longer stock may help. Would cutting down the barrel hurt any accuracy?

LTR

It's my primary hunting rifle. Will shoot lights out.

Much handier, want need to cut it.

Have killed whitetails out past 400 yds.

A Rem LE rep told me the new LTR's as of 8/1 will have the 40x trigger. Until I can upgrade to an aftermarket trigger would that be a deciding matter or would the xmark be ok till then?

Yes, the current LTR's have the X Mark trigger. I scrapped that and installed a Timney. I thought the 5R's had the same trigger as the LTR? The XCR Tactical Compact does have the 40X trigger though.

Bob

I've taken my LTR out to 1000 yards before. I think it opens up a little bit past 700 yards, but its a real shooter out of the box! If you are trying to hit targets past 700 yards alot, then maybe you'll want the 5R, but if you are mainly hunting and only sometimes shooting really long range, the LTR is a great rifle!

According to the Remington dude they will be converting to the 40x. Is the 40x good to compared to the aftermarket companies?

40x is externally adjustable, if my memory serves me correct, would be a nice feature and a wold of improvement over the xmark.

if its anything like the one on my 40x rimfire... i cant imagine anything nicer

Why not look at the XCR compact tactical? Same size and weight as the LTR but stainless and coated in Black TriNyte. Price difference is minimal, I have one and it's a real shooter.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: InTheFace</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am a person of XXL body frame, so I can see how the longer stock may help. Would cutting down the barrel hurt any accuracy? </div></div>

No. Accuracy is not affected. But the sweet spot on your rifle be different so if you reload you will need to redo the load development to find what load shoots the best in your new rifle with shorter barrel. Here is a picture of mine that I just got back from RWS Gunsmithing.

5-R cut down to 20" 11degree crown
Badger FTE brake added
All mounted in a McMillan A-5 sni-fill

2vts8k4.jpg

My buddy had his 5R cut down to 20 and its a tack driver, no effect on accuracy at all.

I'm on my second 5R. I burned up the first one in about 1200 rounds. Yes that is a ridiculously short barrel life, and yes I was pissed. But remington replaced it free of charge. That being said, I guess Rem. agreed it was a lemon. That says a lot about Rem. I have just recently broke in the new one.

My wife shot it for the first time the other day. This was her first time firing a precision rig also. First 3 round group right at 1.855". She was happy. I told her it sucked...with a smile as I said it of course. She got pissed then figured out how to work the rear sand bag. The next 3 shot group measured .248". Yes I couldn't believe it. I quickly took it away from her before she beat my best group of the day... .244". In three hours, I taught her to shoot, and clean the rifle.

Anyway, the first 5R pissed my off beyond no belief. But it was a lemon without a doubt. They are rare, and apparently this one shoots. Oh, My wife then offered to buy the rifle from me...I thought that was funny.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 051F</div><div class="ubbcode-body">40x is externally adjustable, if my memory serves me correct, would be a nice feature and a wold of improvement over the xmark.

if its anything like the one on my 40x rimfire... i cant imagine anything nicer </div></div>

XCR (regular stainless) and all new xmark triggers have pro designation that Ive seen coupled with a rifle. They're externally adjustable now 2009
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2009/01/15/remingtons-new-adjustable-x-mark-pro-trigger/

oops pro came out in 07 and new designation is "adjustable xmark pro" which is external.

My son and I both have 5Rs. He had his barrel bobbed to 20"+ a badger Thruster. We went to the range the other day and each shot 15 5 shot groups with factory ammo. My son's avg group was .727 and mine with the longer barrel was .792. Both weigh 10 lbs; I have a leupold 8.5:25x50 he has a Nightforce 3.5:15x50. .065 difference in average group size for 15 groups doesn't seem like much to me. But add that to ease of handling with a 20" barrel and I think I'm going to get my barrel bobbed.

god, that new trigger somehow seems even worse than the usual xmark...

I have an LTR and a 5R - the 5R was a sweet shooter out of the box... the LTR took some time + a bit of smithing to get up to par with the 5R. This said, between the two, it depends what you'll be using it for - hunting vs benchrest/target shooting. My vote is for the LTR for hunting (as others have suggested) and the 5R if your use will be primarily for benchrest/target shooting (cut down to the length you want it + threaded for a can).

On the other hand, if you're going to buy either the LTR or 5R and replace the stock, trigger and/or have any custom work done, my advice would be to start with a 700 action and build from the ground up, or, look for a barreled action/build in the WTS section here on the hide that's close to what you want. Trust me... I have a cabinet full of 700s and wished I had taken my own advice sometimes.

On the weight issue, while the 5R is usually advertised as weighing 9lbs, I've thrown a few onto a scale & they rang up at #8.5 And IF you cut off 4" of barrel, that's another 1/2lb gone bye bye; so now you're in 8lb territory. Not terribly different from an LTR, & you get the accuracy of the 5R, plus the stainless as a bonus.

One consideration is that if you figure to try your hand at 1000yd work, doing so with a short factory barrel & off the shelf match ammo is tougher than with a long barrel. Depends on the rifle, but some shorty's go subsonic before 1000 with non handloads.

And of course the other option is to pick up a donor action for $350, & get it rebarreled with a custom tube to your specs for say an additional $700 give or take a C'note, by one of the great smiths on here. Often you can find a local smith who does great work, quickly, for a good bit less. And surplus stocks akin to what are on 5R's or similar can be found real reasonably as well. As to whether or not to bed, up to you; & such can be farmed out, or done at home.

Realistically though, I live in mountain country, & a 5R with a sling & a 1lb scope weighs 10lbs. If you have trouble toting that around, odds are you may have trouble dragging a deer which weighs more than 50lbs any distance, like back to the vehicle should you nail one, let alone an elk, etc.

I have a 5R 223, Brother has a 5R 308, got some buddies rifles with the fluted triangular barrels and there is no comparison.............. The 5R's actually shoot pretty good, the rack grade hammer forged barrels are struggling to be mediocre. If your going to shoot factory ammunition get a 5R

i too just picked up an LTR in .308 and love it !

to give you an idea of total weight with optics , this is how its setup right now , and its how intend to leave it , lightweight rig

Remington m700 LTR in .308 factory gun no mods
EGW HD 25 moa base in aluminum
EGW rings 30mm, in aluminum
a harris bipod 6-9BR
a 3 point sling , so i can 'backpack' the rifle and leave my hands free
a Leupold MK 4 LR/T 3.5-10x40mm TMR front focal plane

the whole rig weighs 8.5lbs !!

very nice , very handy , and its a freaking laser too; it shoots as well as my custom rifles for 1/3 the cost . . .

mount some good glass on it and shoot the barrel off of it

hope that helps

George

As lugging it around its not that big an issue because I hunt in TX out of a big box. This a will be a starter rifle to see if I want to go all out later on. I want to use the rifle soon and dont have time for a build. I do have a donor awaiting the day. My shots that im interested in getting good at are the 500yrd mark and maybe further. 1000 right now isnt as important. If I get the 5r I probably would cut it till next year if at all.
At the moment im leaning toward the 5r unless the info I got about the LTR 40x trigger is correct. Im still on the fence.
The xcr shorty has all of it but I never hear them mentioned as much.

40X trigger has an external weight of pull adjustment......... you still need to take the rifle out of the stock (who is going to be adjusting a trigger in the field?) When you get your rifle have a competent gunsmith adjust the trigger to fit your needs.

Both should shoot well. The LTR is shorter and lighter. The 5R has 11.25 twist instead of 1:12 which in theory should shoot the 175s better than 168s. The rifling in the 5R is on a radius which should cut down on cleaning time. The 5R is stainless. Both have the same trigger right now and both are good rifles, but you probably get a little more from the 5R. Cutting the barrel down shouldn't hurt anything except velocity if you decide you can't live with 24''.

I have the LTR and I found out to shot out to 1K you will need to shot the 155's or 175's. I went with the 178 amax bullet it has done real well from 100 to 1000 yards.

That being said if you are going to shoot to 1K alot you will need to find something other then the 168's. They fell apart at about 850 or so in my LTR.

I reload the 178 amax for everything I do with the rifle matches (f-class/tactical) and also my hunting round.

I have not shot a 5R but do believe to would be a great rifle.

The 5R should with the 24" barrel give you the velocity with the 168's to get to 1k no problems. This would save you the time of looking for or orderng the 155/175gr ammo witch I found a lot harder to find than the 168 match stuff.

I agree with KHOOKS. I have found the 5R will shoot the 175s better than the 168s when comparing them pound for pound in the FGMM load. I would rather have the stainless action to rebarrel down the road than a run of the mill Rem SA from a non 5R. And the 155 Scenars do well also in the 5R.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: InTheFace</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="color: #FF0000">A Rem LE rep told me the new LTR's as of 8/1 will have the 40x trigger.</span> Until I can upgrade to an aftermarket trigger would that be a deciding matter or would the xmark be ok till then? </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: InTheFace</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
At the moment im leaning toward the 5r <span style="color: #FF0000">unless the info I got about the LTR 40x trigger is correct</span>. Im still on the fence.
The xcr shorty has all of it but I never hear them mentioned as much. </div></div>

Just an FYI for everyone... it appears that the Remington rep was correct. I just got a new LTR last week and it looks to have the 40X trigger. I was pleasantly surprised to find it instead of the X Mark-Pro. Pics:

DSC_0057-1.jpg

DSC_0055-1.jpg