Gunsmithing Rem VSF/Sendero/5R HS stock butt pad

cinosbus

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 5, 2008
St. Charles, MO
In reference to the HS Precision stock that is common among the newer Sendero, VSF, and 5R Remingtons (close to the model P)... is the recoil pad glued on?

cinosbus

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 5, 2008
St. Charles, MO
Re: Rem VSF/Sendero/5R HS stock butt pad

Where do you peel in order to replace the pad? Is there an insert that has threads under the glue, or am I doing serious work to replace this thing?

Ghogs Nightmare

Wobi Madano
Minuteman
Jun 11, 2006
In the Nightmares of Ghogs

What caliber rifle are ya tryin to "de-recoil pad"? Annn have ya shot it yet? ]
I have the same sort and the recoil isn't bad with'm. (7Rm although the 300RUM is a little more "exciting".)
If you have already shot'm an dont like it I apologize just sharing my observation.

cinosbus

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 5, 2008
St. Charles, MO

It's a .308 5R. And yes, I'd like to add about 1/2" LOP and a better pad. The pad on this rifle is only 1/4" thick solid rubber and has NO give.

erik308

Private
Minuteman
Apr 15, 2009
Virginia Beach, VA

I have a 700 5R, and just replaced the pad on the HS stock with a grind-to-fit Pachmayr Decelerator.
I:

1) I used a heat gun to loosen up the epoxy
2) Pried the old pad off with a Xacto knif
3) Sanded the stock down with a belt sander (since the new pad is significantly thicker, I wanted to keep the LOP about the same)
4) Drilled two holes in the dense foam inside, and epoxied wooden dowels in; I drilled holes in the dowels for screws
5) I filled the big void with BBs mixed with epoxy (based on someone elses recommendation here). I think I got about 2500 of them in there. This added a noticable amount of weight..
6) I put epoxy on the pad, and then screwed it to the stock. Let it dry for 24 hours.
7) Sanded the pad down to match the stock. (mostly. I need to sand a bit more). But it's definitely better than the stock pad.

Good luck,
Erik