• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Rem700 sps-acc .308 help

7mm-08 Freak

Medic
Minuteman
Jul 11, 2010
San Angelo TX
I was wanting to know if anyone is shooting this gun with a supressor on it. The bbl was threaded from the factory and I was kinda wanting to suppress it. Any opnions on a can for this gun. I understand also I would need to load up some subsonic rounds. What is a good safe reduced load for a 20" .308?

Re: Rem700 sps-acc .308 help

I would recommend looking into the group buy section here on the hide. As there are several different guys running suppressor group buys at below msrp etc. Also you do not have to load subsonic rounds unless you want as quiet as possible. You can shoot full power loads if you want.

Whatever you do - don't use Trailboss for your subsonic powder. It builds up like concrete in your can then when you shoot a full power load behind it the tiny bits break off and will ding the muzzle end of your barrel... including your crown. BTDT.

I'm using Titegroup for my subsonics now. Works well.

Never had a problem with Trailboss...Ive run possibly a couple of thousand subs through my Thundertrap using this powder without incident...

get a cyclone and you wont look back.

Question about the trail boss powder.. I also use trail boss and have shot only about 300 rounds unsuppressed.. Waiting on my 762SD pending since June.. So far I have no issues but i have no can yet eather.. Anybody else have issues with this powder...

"Whatever you do - don't use Trailboss for your subsonic powder. It builds up like concrete in your can then when you shoot a full power load behind it the tiny bits break off and will ding the muzzle end of your barrel... including your crown. BTDT."

WTF_look.jpg

Trail Boss particulates that, when under a full load, find the means to reverse direction come back into the muzzle with enough force to cut the steel?

what caliber? what barrel length? What velocity? what can? Crimping? Are you using lead bullets? Are they lubed?

"Yep, its those rear trajectory Trail Boss particulates that, when under a full load, find the means to reverse direction"

That must be some Good Stuff / Powder.

OK..
308 win, Remington LTR. 1:12, 16.5 inch barrel. Sierra (2135) 150 grain round nose, 9.5g T.B. no lube and no Crimp. AAC 762SD can (still waiting)..

That would suck to have to find another Load / Powder for (subsonic). Since this one is stable fairly accurate. I also have about 150 rounds loaded waiting to Try Suppressed. But would defiantly change powder to save a very $$$$$ purchase / Can.

I am running 10.5 gns of TB with a 170gn Sierra flat nose (30-30 bullet) and 12.2gns of TB with the Sierra 220gn prohunter. Both have proven to be about 1moa at 100 with MV of 1036 out of my r700 AAC with an HTG can. Quiet as a pellet rifle.

Running the same gun with an Innovative Arms LDSP. It is a pleasure to shoot and I will not shoot my 700 aac or 16" bushmaster .308 with out it.

Full power loads are quieter than 22lr mini mags in my sig mosquito un-suppressed.

I recently purchased an R700 SPS Tactical AAC SD and a Cyclone at the beginning of the month. Anyone know about how long the wait is with the ATF paperwork? I was told and read the ATF has 60 days by federal statute to make their decision.

Dad submitted his form 4 may 1st. It went pending june 27 and still no word. When he calls they just say it is assigned and pending. I would guess 60 days is false.

been at the pending stage since july 7 and still waiting...
It has been getting longer and longer from what I have heard,
but back in the day it was 6 months or longer..
IMHO It depends who is in the big boy chair at the time...
Its the kleptocrats now so I would assume longer waits..

Trail Boss is dirty and needs to be cleaned out of your barrel after you shoot nothing a bore snake wont fix. Its not that bad but if you don't want to clean it there are other powders to use.

Trail Boss is dirty and needs to be cleaned out of your barrel after you shoot nothing a bore snake wont fix. Its not that bad but if you don't want to clean it there are other powders to use.

PantiesBunch.jpg

Standby RollingThunder - pics a comin'.

21.75" long Chanlynn 10 twist barrel(.308 Win)threaded 5/8x24 using either a SWR Omega30 can or a HTG M30 can. Everytime you get done at the range do you remove your can and screw onto the barrel a thread protector? That's my routine and I probably glance at the end of the barrel a couple of times in the process as well and I've never seen anything impacting the end of my barrel before TrailBoss.

Before I shot subs I never had a problem with the crown of my barrel. After using TrailBoss & 180 grain Hornady round nose bullets/ Fed brass / 210 primer / no crimp and the end of the barrel crown is dorked. You figure it out. Is it a supressor design that leads to this? No idea - does George's Epsilon baffle design produce a ton of backpressure that other can's don't? Can't tell you (this also happened with my SWR Omega 30) but check out the pic. I'm just reporting what I've seen with my own eyes - betcha thought I was yanking your chain?

I NEVER had a problem before this using full power loads in this rifle then after TrailBoss - well.... you see what happened. Yes, I clean my cans out so they are not full of accumulated gunk from years of shooting.

OH - and this didn't happen to just me... happened to another shooter in the area who used TrailBoss for his sub-sonic loads(through a suppressor as well). He got his barrel cut & crowned again. He switched to Titegroup.

Haven't had this problem since I switched to Titegroup - go figure. I've got a 8lb jug of Trailboss that weights 7 & 3/4 lbs for sale if anyone is wanting to try their luck with it... or I'll trade it for an equal amount of Titegroup.

CIMG2408.jpg

CIMG2407.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RunsWithScissors</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Whatever you do - don't use Trailboss for your subsonic powder. It builds up like concrete in your can then when you shoot a full power load behind it the tiny bits break off and will ding the muzzle end of your barrel... including your crown. BTDT.

I'm using Titegroup for my subsonics now. Works well. </div></div>

This above statement is true. My buddy had to recrown his barrel because of this very issue. It was almost impossible to get out of his can. He swore off Trailboss ever since.

Thanks for the info and pics..

Question: Ok say I use 9.5 g. trail boss how much tight group would be needed, and how about case fill compared to trail boss?

Just comparing the two.. i am only familiar with trail boss.
Thanks

That's interesting on the Trailboss.

Good to know. I haven't experimented with loading subsonic .308 at all, but Trailboss seemed like the ideal powder on account of it's volume/low power.

Hang on while I get my panties out of my ass...."pop" ah that's better, whew six days of worrying.....

Thanks for the info, very helpful.

Its your cans, two of the highest pressure cans out there. The initial chamber of both of those cans tries to extinguish the fire ball in the first chamber. Peak heat....red friggin' hot. That also explains why you have crap building up in your can. Those two cans do not purge. George worked for Lynn for a good number of years. The HTG can does not have traditional baffles, but two core levels, the the debris exits the central core and literally lays into the "void" the space between the perf core and the actual envelope. Joe's SWR design came from KAC, now Joe didn't like the nasty welds and flat baffles. Joe's SWR are more refined but the cans are still high pressure. If you look at a low pressure can, around the first chamber you will notice there are many holes to allow gas to move forward, many. Gas doesn't hit that system and bounce back with propellant. It moves forward. What you have are flat surface in the primary. You get high first chamber sound suppression, but huge pressure and zero purging. Nada. Stuck, done. That high pressure is returning the gas against the muzzle.

Now the powder. Lets talk about TrailBoss. One generates a small quantity of gas with TrailBoss. There is nothing within the chemistry of TrailBoss alone that will allow it to cut steel. If your crown is pitting, it is perhaps what was in your can coming back with high pressure gas. Zero. Its heat and time and gas..that cuts steel. One does not have direct impingement, the super heated gas in the same quantities with subs especially in barrels that long. The same materials that are found in traditional single base products are within TrailBoss. No higher carbon, no metals in the formulation at all. The only thing that Trailboss has more of than anything else is .......air. Low pressure, low velocity loads = TrailBoss. Six years worth of development work by folks like Mike at Hodgdon, all focused on low pressures that would not blow up old guns. With thousands of rounds through cans starting back in the 70's, .308 subs in particular, no similar results as what you see on your barrel.

Did you friend also have the same cans?

Beautiful.... just beautiful. Ok then who makes a can that has minimal backpressure in the first chamber or eliminates the need for a gas buster charging handle on an AR10?

LOL - classic.
Hang on while I get my panties out of my ass...."pop" ah that's better, whew six days of worrying.....

So let me get this straight - it's the design of the first baffle/blast chamber (of two different can makers) that is re-directing the hot gasses back into my crown and cutting into the steel?
If so, then it should be damaging the hell out of the steel with every full power round that I fire - right? And that means subs or no subs, Trailboss or no Trailboss then it would be damaging my crown? How come this problem only arose after I shot subs using Trailboss powder? I shoot full power loads for years with these cans and never a problem then all of a sudden this happens and it's due to the design of the baffles & first chamber?

Ill jump in for a moment here...Ive been using Trailboss for years with my Thundertrap...I have no issues whatever in pitting on any of the rifles I use....I do not use Trailboss for anything other than sub loads...depending on rifle between 9.7 and 10 grns pushing a 180 rn bullet...
I figure I have thousands of rounds downrange...