• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Remage or RPR

travgrif

Private
Minuteman
Feb 25, 2010
Dublin, OH
Wondering if I could get your opinion. I've got a Remington 700 in 270 win that I inherited years ago. I really don't shoot it as it's just not enjoyable with the recoil. I've been thinking about doing a Remage conversion to 6.5 Swede. I got in touch with NSS and got all the pricing figured out. With the conversion parts, including all the tools needed, new trigger, and a chassis, it's going to be a couple hundred more than an RPR in 6.5 Creedmore. You think I should go with the Remage or just get an RPR and have the 270 be a safe queen?

Parts I'm looking at would be a 24" Lite Varmint barrel, TriggerTech trigger, and a Mcrees G10 chassis.

Well this isn't exactly apples for apples. There are probably a bunch of other factors and features that will be important in your decision.

What type of shooting are you planning to do? Would be the primary question.

Well, if you're the kind of guy who likes to try out new things/change things on your gun, remage is the easy choice. If you're the buy it and leave it kinda guy, RPR all the way, not to say there isn't a host of RPR upgrades either. I just change out my chassis alot so I had to go the Remington footprint route.

Primary purpose will be punching paper and ringing steel. Someday I hope to get into PRS. I do like upgrading my guns, so I'm sure if I got an RPR, I'd want to do some upgrades. If I do get into PRS, is weight a concern?

I think the real question should be are you willimg to be stuck with an AR feeling chassis or will you want to try a traditional style stock?

if you are fine with AR type, rpr....if any doubt go with the remage.

I have literally been in the exact same position for years now. I have had a R700 .270 for a long time. Everytime I make up my mind on what to build, I change it, or something comes up and I don't have the funds to pursue it.

My latest unique plan consists of copying the
CR-Mod 1 used by O'Neil Ops. I would utilize the remage design, and have a barrel in 7mmRM, and one is something fast, flat and light recoil like 6.5swede or .270. I say .270 because with a can and the overall weight, my hope is that it would reduce recoil to a manageable level. Long actions suck. Wish I had a short action! Really makes it difficult building a rifle that you want to shoot often.

My idea consists of a 24" 7mmRM barrel, medium palma contour, and the .270/6.5swede being a short 20" sendero/varmint contour, both threaded for suppressor. the 270/6.5swede barrel would be for whitetail and varmint hunting in Virginia where I am moving to again. the 7mag barrel for Colorado and AZ elk and mule deer hunting, or for dedicated long range shooting. Both cartidges can be mag fed using either a 3006 accurate mag or AI mag 300wm mag.

I would get the folding t4a just like the cr-mod 1. Basically it would be the same rifle, just a long long action versions.

That was my silly idea of the week anyways. I think ithas some merit. Like I said though, so difficult making a long action an affordable and friendly to shoot rifle with readily available ammo.

As for optic, the CR-Mod 1 uses a nice little 1-6x vortex... For my purposes I would be going with a something like a 3-15x variable FFP. Not ideal in every situation, but the most versatile option. With the short, compact fast and flat 270 or swede, come ups are not major concern as the max range of that design would be 300-400 yards on whitetail and coyotes. But I would retain the ability to make the adjustments when needed at long ranges with the 7mag barrel.

Last edited:
Remage is the way I would go. Don't really care for the feel of an RPR and as others said, you are pretty much stuck with the chassis feel. I get that it's an easily upgradeable gun but people are sinking almost as much into one of them as what you could get into a nice 700 built for.

I do like the feel of an AR. I've got three that I shoot a bit and I'm comfortable with. That's a big reason I like the RPR. But I keep leaning towards the Remage with a chassis. Thinking the Mcrees G10. It's got a lot of nice features for the price. I know this sounds crazy, but I'm not sure I need yet another gun. Almost rather convert something I don't use into something I would. I hear good things about the Criterion barrels. They'll be as accurate as an RPR won't they? Which is probably more accurate than I am.

From what I hear a Criterion pre-fit would be more than equal to any stock RPR. As far as weight in PRS goes, it's only a concern, if it's a concern to you. Some people like a heavy gun, other like it lighter. I personally don't see weight as much of a problem unless the match requires a lot of running around (some prs matches do, but I see more movement in non-prs matches). People run AI rigs approaching 20 pounds and seem to be happy about it haha. I like a medium weight rifle, an RPR fits into that category nicely, as would a Remage w/ a 3-4 pound chassis/stock.

Primary purpose will be punching paper and ringing steel. Someday I hope to get into PRS. I do like upgrading my guns, so I'm sure if I got an RPR, I'd want to do some upgrades. If I do get into PRS, is weight a concern?

I have an RPR and I also have a custom build that I will go the Remage route when the barrel is shot out. Both rifles shoot sub 1/2moa and for all intents and purposes function and feel similar. The RPR is around 2-3lbs lighter. The RPR cost about 1/3 of the cost of the custom. They are both 6.5CM.

Everyone fairly well understands the design of the traditional bolt action rifle. The RPR made a few subtle changes to that design that gets glossed over a bit. The key change was it inline design of the bore through the action and down the centerline of the buttstock. This inline design is very forgiving in terms of how the recoil impulse flows through the rifle and into the shooters body as it relates to having the perfect body position and natural point of aim. This becomes even more critical during competition shooting using multiple props and body positions under time pressure.

One of the main things that attracted me to the RPR was the fact that an average guy with a little mechanical ability can do upgrades and modifications for themselves with a few tools and a little time. I already upgraded my 1st gen RPR's forend, safety, bolt shroud, added a muzzle brake and have the new barrel ready to change. I actually was OK with the trigger, stock and grip but if wanted those can be changed out easily as well. So basically everything can be user changed except for the action which is the numbered and key component of this rifle to that whole inline design.

On the 270, well remage is an option but for paper punching and PRS style shooting a long action would not be my choice or really most shooters although it's doable. So the only component you plan to keep and that is the foundation isn't exactly the right choice. I don't know anything about 6.5 Swedish but most competition guns are built off of short actions.

JMHO

Last edited:
I wouldn't go with either. If you're looking for a stock rifle with aftermarket easy barrel change. How about a tikka ctr? It's offered in so awesome cal now and with a 24" and 20" barrel. And guys like PVA are making custome barrel but barrels for them if and when you want a new one. Lots of aftermarket coming out for them as well in the chassis/stock area with mpa and manners just to name a few.

Faced with this same dilemma, I chose to go the Remage route. I then proceeded to find a SS receiver for $175, got a bolt machined by PTG and fit to my action by Phoenix Custom. Now that I see you hope to possibly get into PRS shooting...I'd buy a Tikka.

You guys really aren't making my decision easier....lol To the last couple posts recommending a Tikka CTR.....how is the stock on those? Would you recommend an upgrade?

I'm not sure I'm too concerned about the long action in competition. I seem to run it better than my Savage 308.

Chassis - RPR, Traditional style stock - remage (although you can remage in a chassis). I have 2 remage's, my buddy has RPR, I prefer the remage. The Tikka T3x TAC looks very promising.

Basically what FUNCTIONAL said.

Remage is the way I would go. Don't really care for the feel of an RPR and as others said, you are pretty much stuck with the chassis feel. I get that it's an easily upgradeable gun but people are sinking almost as much into one of them as what you could get into a nice 700 built for.

The feel of the chassis vs stock is a valid reason. The chassis feel is not for everyone.

However I have about 1/2 the cost into my fully built RPR (barrel, handguard, etc) as I do my complete AO build on a 700(AICS AX). The RPR outshoots the AO build with ease. Even costs being the same, I would take a built RPR over a built 700.

Faced with this same dilemma, I chose to go the Remage route. I then proceeded to find a SS receiver for $175, got a bolt machined by PTG and fit to my action by Phoenix Custom. Now that I see you hope to possibly get into PRS shooting...I'd buy a Tikka.

Not a bad option.

Tikka vs Ruger is the new Remington vs Savage.

The feel of the chassis vs stock is a valid reason. The chassis feel is not for everyone.

However I have about 1/2 the cost into my fully built RPR (barrel, handguard, etc) as I do my complete AO build on a 700(AICS AX). The RPR outshoots the AO build with ease. Even costs being the same, I would take a built RPR over a built 700.

I dont think basing the accuracy on the gun is reallly a way to compare considering accuracy is mainly in the barrel not the action.

I dont believe in safe queens. Knock that 270 barrel off and order up a pacnor or nss criterion. 6.5-284 Norma would be my cartridge of choice on that long action.

I would base my choice on other things. One is, your price to Remage includes the price of the McRees chassis. So, I would throw that out and look at the price of new barrels for each system if cost is a concern. The other is that the RPR is a short action whereas your .270 is a long action. I don't think there are many LA's in PRS. Again, are you really going to compete or "maybe" in the future?

Is a Remage swede barrel going to have a longer life span than an RPR in 6.5 CM? Of course, can you actually buy one NOW in 6.5 CM?

Both choices get you a chassis. You could go RPR in .308 and hope you get a good barrel. I don't think you're going to do much customizing yourself on a Remage 700 in a McRees.