• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Remember to grab a Spuhr RDF red dot mount before their gone.

Bilb0

Enthusiast
Supporter
Minuteman
Sep 16, 2023
Dexter, Missouri
Just an FYI to the hide members who like elite red dot mounts

A day or two ago I noticed Mile High Shooting recieved their new Spuhr RDF Aimpoint Mounts with Magnifer Yoke from Sweden. They had 300 come, 200 were sold at preorder. They won't last long when people catch wind.

Had mine overnighted and will be here Friday. Will take pics with an Aimpoint Comp M5B.

I was just in MHSA on Wednesday to say high to the fellas, I worked there for a short stint last year, and I saw Greg the shipping guy and asked if they were busy. He said that it had been slow until these showed up and they were getting hammered filling all the preorders. :)

I was just in MHSA on Wednesday to say high to the fellas, I worked there for a short stint last year, and I saw Greg the shipping guy and asked if they were busy. He said that it had been slow until these showed up and they were getting hammered filling all the preorders. :)

😁 That's great! Yeah I blasted these on a few sub forums on reddit as well to drive some interest there way. Hopefully they get swamped. That'd be awesome! 🔥

Serious question as I don't really get it.
Why are some mounting red dots so damn high ?
The traditional lower 1/3 cowitness mounts are actually a bit low for comfort and the traditional 1.5" lpvo mounts are worse.

I've switched my rds mounts to 1.93" and the improvements in comfort and awareness from a more natural head posture are pretty obvious.

I might go to 1.93 for LPVOs too

Having said that some of the taller mounts thar leave no contact between face and stock aren't for me

The traditional lower 1/3 cowitness mounts are actually a bit low for comfort and the traditional 1.5" lpvo mounts are worse.

I've switched my rds mounts to 1.93" and the improvements in comfort and awareness from a more natural head posture are pretty obvious.

Having said that some of the taller mounts thar leave no contact between face and stock aren't for me
Was just curious as I have been seeing it more and more lately.
The set up I prefer most maybe I have just become conditioned to it, but with eyes closed when my cheek touches the Emod stock I'm always centered in the reticle.
May have to try one and see for myself.

It's interesting watching some of the GWOT players that championed the higher and higher mounts (for valid reasons) are now going back to the 1.70 and 1.54 optics as they enter their 50's as domestic instructors.

Needs change, mobility changes, enablers on the gun change...there are no solutions, merely better compromises in setup

At this stage, I'm taking a page from my precision rifles and i'm building up the stock to get my cheek weld. Granted in some you lose your ability to run the CH with the stock in, but let's face it...one isn't running nose-to-CH with a 2.26" high mount.

And sorry, OP...but that thing is ridiculous with the M5s. And I don't care what people say, passive NV through an Aimpoint micro tube fucking sucks.

What's old is new again. Different way of doing it, but many years ago, high rise uppers were somewhat popular with a certain crowd, like this RRA EOP.

PA_AR0052Ez.png

Reactions: Anb618 and XLR308
What's old is new again. Different way of doing it, but many years ago, high rise uppers were somewhat popular with a certain crowd, like this RRA EOP.

PA_AR0052Ez.png

While I agree the old-is-new thing and things in this industry goes in cycles (to an annoying level), I can't ever recall this being able to be called even "somewhat popular".
Which crowd was into this?

PA_AR0052Ez.png
I would have to do some comparisons, my current set up is roughly 2.625" from centerline of bore to centerline of scope and seems perfect for a 16" barrel with Vltor Emod, my 24" barreled rifle with adjustable comb definitely higher.

Reactions: msgriff
I would have to do some comparisons, my current set up is roughly 2.625" from centerline of bore to centerline of scope and seems perfect for a 16" barrel with Vltor Emod, my 24" barreled rifle with adjustable comb definitely higher.
2.625" would be co-witnessed, or 1.41" above the rail to center of optic. The mount in the OP is 2.25" above the rail, 1.93" does seem to be a popular choice these days. I don't have an AR-15 upper like I posted, but I do have a large frame that's similar. Standard co-witness mounts end up being the equivalent of an 1.93" mount, and those are comfortable to me.

Reactions: XLR308
It's interesting watching some of the GWOT players that championed the higher and higher mounts (for valid reasons) are now going back to the 1.70 and 1.54 optics as they enter their 50's
I'm 58 in two months. Age is just a number.

Having said that some of the taller mounts that leave no contact between face and stock aren't for me
I'd def do it...

That was my only concern about going to a taller mount on an LPVO but found it wasn't a problem as you still can get plenty of stability with the carbine, assuming your position is well-set up...Plus there are cheek risers on the market that only take up the back half of the stock where your cheek actually rests (allowing for charging handle) so you can mitigate that issue even further. Most are designed to work with the Magpul CTR stocks.

Having a more vertical/straight up head/neck posture is huge for reducing fatigue, keeping you on the gun for longer stretches. Plus (for RDSs) passive aiming through NODs as mentioned above, if you run those.

Reactions: 308pirate

I just typed up an explanation not long ago. I'll post a screenshot below. Also posting a picture that illustrates how you can run your carbine and handgun with the same stance and such.....when you have a taller mount.

Not gonna get into all the drama and such concerning GBRS and such. I'll leave that to the reddit guys who nuthug all the different special operations units from their computers.

I'd personally put passive aiming with NVG at the bottom of the list. Especially anyone who isn't actually going to be up against a near peer enemy (which is probably 99% of anyone using nvg). You'll want to be using active aiming whenever possible.

And I'd definitely opt for an eotech over aimpoint if you're going to be doing any sort of passive aiming.

Screenshot 2024-05-25 at 12.14.18 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-05-25 at 12.19.31 PM.png

Still looks way off to me, the guy in the pic barely has the bottom edge/toe of the stock touching the top edge of the pocket in his shoulder.
I would think I would have been slapped in the back of the head by a DI if attempted during instruction or as a kid learning to shoot.
Like I mentioned earlier I would have to try one and see how it fits.

Reactions: x248716x
Anyone know if Spuhr offers or is planning to offer a low diving board that will mount to the front of their RDS mounts?

I prefer keeping the laser back around the center of rifle. Can always just mount a Unity riser in front of the Spuhr and mount laser on that. Just curious if Spuhr has an option for that.

Still looks way off to me, the guy in the pic barely has the bottom edge/toe of the stock touching the top edge of the pocket in his shoulder.
I would think I would have been slapped in the back of the head by a DI if attempted during instruction or as a kid learning to shoot.

It's a carbine with a buffer and spring. Not like the recoil is going to push it off your shoulder.

Give it a try. Might not be for you. But most anyone I know who has tried elevated optics usually sticks with one of the three common heights (2.25, 2.50, 2.91). It really does make for a very comfortable experience.

We'd have all gotten slapped 20yrs ago doing stuff we do now. Evolution happens.

1.70 master race

Which is why we ended up with the A3 upper to bring the sight height back to were it was designed and intended.

Carry handles were standard when those sights were invented. It's impossible for them to have been "designed and intended" to be anywhere else. The aimpoint electronic g1 was first released in 1975. The first flat top ARs were from colt around 1990. And there were plenty of people who complained about losing the carry handle as they preferred their optics higher.

There was literally no design intent for the optics to be anywhere. Hence why there were multiple mounting options.

This is just a rehash of the same shit that happened in the precision rifle world when people started running 1.5" rings. Everyone insisted the optic should be as close to the barrel as possible.

How people shot or were taught to shoot in the past doesn't matter.

I think coming into shooting at an older age (mid 30s) and learning from contemporary practical shooters instead of learning from old fudds or granpappy down at the farm was an advantage.

How people shot or were taught to shoot in the past doesn't matter.

I think coming into shooting at an older age (mid 30s) and learning from contemporary practical shooters instead of learning from old fudds or granpappy down at the farm was an advantage.
Fair enough, I grew up with a gun I my hands and was always out shooting or hunting when I was a kid.
Like I said I want to try it and see how it fits me.
Have seen stranger things that made me scratch my head that ended up being a great match.
Age is just a number 😅

the other thing I've noted watching the trend is that it's coincided with better access to SBRs, and with agencies/security/other groups adopting them over traditional subguns. CQB rifles benefit more from that heads up posture than the traditional use of the rifle as a longer ranged tool, so the evolution makes sense.

I just typed up an explanation not long ago. I'll post a screenshot below. Also posting a picture that illustrates how you can run your carbine and handgun with the same stance and such.....when you have a taller mount.

Not gonna get into all the drama and such concerning GBRS and such. I'll leave that to the reddit guys who nuthug all the different special operations units from their computers.

I'd personally put passive aiming with NVG at the bottom of the list. Especially anyone who isn't actually going to be up against a near peer enemy (which is probably 99% of anyone using nvg). You'll want to be using active aiming whenever possible.

And I'd definitely opt for an eotech over aimpoint if you're going to be doing any sort of passive aiming.

View attachment 8425582
View attachment 8425585
Didn’t realize DJ was on here.

Nothing new, but what is new is the widespread use of NVGs/NODs, even in the civilian market. I’ve become very accustomed to aiming with an IR laser, but it’s nice to have the red dot as a backup on NVGs, and the elevated riser makes it a lot easier to line up.

Using the IR laser on NVGs is the only thing keeping me from going all-in on thermal.

Reactions: GrandeJake