• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remi. R-15 for California

He Shoot Me

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 12, 2009
No. Cal.
Maybe I need to quit eating those mushrooms in my back yard, but I swear I seen an R-15 this weekend, well that and a Unicorn.

I was at a local gun shop waiting patiently to pick-up my brand new .270, while the guy in front of me was checking out an Aimpoint for his rifle. He was asking the guy a bunch of Q's and then said "Hey can I go get my gun out of the truck to see if the cammo pattern on my gun is close enough to the pattern on this Aimpoint"

I didn't think much of it, and figured he was going to walk back in with his Turkey/shotgun. Dude cruises in with an R-15. Now to those of you who live in a "Real American State" This is no big deal, but here in Cali, he almost got "Jacked" by every law abiding citizen in the county. (Local criminals weren't interested because they already have them)

I asked dude how he bought one and what was the deal. He said "the magazine release could not be used unless it was manipulated with a tool, 10 round non removable magazine, and he had to go through a more detailed background check".

I was so fired-up, I forgot the name of the shop he got it from, and everyone I've asked so far hasn't a clue. Are any of you privy to this, and can you please help. (Name of gun shop, who might be in the know, who to call, etc.)

-Pat

Re: Remi. R-15 for California

I would seriously recommend you join Calguns.net. The forum is FULL of information on this. By the way, the rifle he had is termed an "Off List" AR rifle, and if configured properly (the tool-operated mag release), it is perfectly legal.

In the past few years, 10s of thousands of AR-15 and AK type rifles have come into this state thanks to the DOJ's lax behavior on maintaining a list of banned AR and AK rifles (termed "listed" rifles) and subsequent law signed by the Governor that eliminated the DOJ's ability to ever update the list of banned AR and AK rifles. So many new manufacturers or ARs and AKs have sprung up over the recent years that there are many options should you want an AR or AK in this state.

Join Calguns.net. Seriously.

Darren-Freakin-K!!!

Whats-up my Chico brother, you are the man! I had no clue that website existed. It helped instantly, me and my buddy are on the hunt with our first hook-up already.

Glad to know there's some others in the hide that are somewhat local. I live about 45 minutes South of you, (Yuba/Sutter Area)and the gun-shop I was talking about was Kittles in Colusa.

I've got a ton of reading to do, and I will join the Forum.

Thanks a million, BIG HELP!

-Peace

Yes, R-15's properly configured are CA legal. You can find a ton of information on this at Calguns.net. Most likely the owner of the R-15 was using a non-pistol grip (commonly termed a Monsterman grip) or a Bullet Button.

We in California would like to take a minute to welcome He Shoot Me into the world or CA-friendly ARs. As if precision rifles weren't expensive enough...

By the way, Shooters Paradise in Yubay City is another AR-friendly store

Hazardus,

your spot on, it had the "Bullet Button" I remember now, that's what he called it.

I did see a AR-Type for sale about a year ago with no pistol grip at all. I hadn't heard the term "Monsterman Grip" yet. I'll check it out.

Thanks,

-Pat

Darren,

"By the way, Shooters Paradise in Yubay City is another AR-friendly store"

*Laughs Hard*

Yea, Zack already sold me a BushMaster last year. You know the one with the Magazine well completely sealed off. It shoots great but God what a pain in the ass.

I wonder if I used a "Bullet Button" If it would be legal to carve-out the bottom of the well??? The reason I say this is sooner, or later that single clip that's stuck in the gun is going to fail and I can't see of ANY way to get to it.

Is that a Dremel I hear in the background? ;-)

" We in California would like to take a minute to welcome He Shoot Me into the world or CA-friendly ARs. As if precision rifles weren't expensive enough..."

LOL, Awesome!

-Pat

Pat, If you look at your bushmaster, you should see that the magwell already has a scope line where you would need to cut to open up the magwell. The bushmasters even have a mag release button, although they have a sealed magwell. Careful dremeling and you could have an open magwell AR. Check around on Calguns first - I think I recall others doing this

BTW, Shooters Paradise is much more friendly regarding ARs now - not just the closed off bushmasters.

Jason K,

Bingo, Bingo, Bingo!!!

Keep'em coming baby, SNIPERS HIDE RULES!!!

I need a change of pants, and a nap...Baahaahaahaa!

-Pat

Got it Darren,

Thank you guys very, very, much.... I can't tell you guys how stoked I am.

Will swing-by Zack's tonight or tomorrow after work. When I get this stuff worked out we'll have to go burn some ammo.

-Peace

You think that Mexico wants California back, That is so dumb looking, the goverment there have lost there freaking minds. Because it looks differnent its ok, but if it has a handle, it BAD!

I thank god that I live in a State that has a Clue

Welcome to the OLL movement. Start saving your dollars and get in line. AR stuff is extra expensive right now. Just an FYI the AW laws in California only apply to center fire rifles so you can do a rim fire build with all the detachable mags and evil features you want!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alaskaman 11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Because it looks differnent its ok, but if it has a handle, it BAD!

I thank god that I live in a State that has a Clue </div></div>

It's not really that the state mandates this configuration, but rather than some very determined people exposed the weaknesses in the law thereby enabling the residents of California to have AR's with some modifications. If the option is no AR at all, or an having AR with a Monsterman Grip or bullet button magazine release, the choice is quite clear. We're greatful for what we have, and fighting every day to expose the rediculous nature of CA's gun laws and expand our freedoms. Despite what many people say about California gun owners, I know of few others who have fought harder in recent years to stem the tide of anti-2A legislation than some Californians. And against what many people believe, ground is being gained and positive steps taken.

He Shoot Me....I'm selling an R-15, I could ship it to you with the Prince50 installed to make it CA legal. PM me if interested.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: darrenk75b</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alaskaman 11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Because it looks differnent its ok, but if it has a handle, it BAD!

I thank god that I live in a State that has a Clue </div></div>

It's not really that the state mandates this configuration, but rather than some very determined people exposed the weaknesses in the law thereby enabling the residents of California to have AR's with some modifications. If the option is no AR at all, or an having AR with a Monsterman Grip or bullet button magazine release, the choice is quite clear. We're greatful for what we have, and fighting every day to expose the rediculous nature of CA's gun laws and expand our freedoms. Despite what many people say about California gun owners, I know of few others who have fought harder in recent years to stem the tide of anti-2A legislation than some Californians. And against what many people believe, ground is being gained and positive steps taken. </div></div>

Once again, Im glad I live in a state that has at least read the Constitution. Please, take your state back before that Cancer spreads

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alaskaman 11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Once again, Im glad I live in a state that has at least read the Constitution. Please, take your state back before that Cancer spreads </div></div>

I think the very fact that we actually have AR15's, albeit modified, shows that <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">we are trying</span></span>. Its a <span style="font-weight: bold">steep</span> hill to climb unfortunately.

Badger John's on madison ave in sacramento has a lower for sale. They also have a in house gunsmith(which I do not trust) to modify the way you want with the bullet button.

Picked up my OLL about a month ago. Should be putting it together in a few weeks or so. I have 6 guys at my shop that checked mine out and have now purchased OLL's in the last 2 weeks. It is the new rage and the better get them now rule is in effect

Hey Guys,

didn't mean to disappear on ya, I got as sick as I've been in a long time and been playing catch-up at work.

Jason,

I'm to broke right now to buy that R-15 right now, but I did run it by my buddy. He's on the hunt for S&W's model right now, but if he doesn't have any luck I'm pretty sure he would jump on that R-15. I'll send you a PM if he decides he wants it. I'd like to buy it myself but I think I'm going to have to build it piece by piece. (money)

Matt,

I did swing-by Badger Johns, wow, what an awesome collection of animals they have, incredible! I did speak to the in-house G-smith about threading the barrel of my 300wsm varmint for a muzzle brake. He said he couldn't do it, but gave me the names and numbers of a few who could. Seemed like a nice enough guy.

Mechanic,

I cant remember what the OLL abbreviation meant, can you clarify?

Thanks again to all of you for all of your help.

-Pat

i guess we will have to patiently wait for kalifornia to finally break off and slide in to the ocean. hopefully it will stop this terrible disease they are trying to spread....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dgunn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i guess we will have to patiently wait for kalifornia to finally break off and slide in to the ocean. hopefully it will stop this terrible disease they are trying to spread.... </div></div>

Look up <span style="font-style: italic">Nordyke vs. King</span>. This will bring incorporation of the 2nd to CA. And I can assume it will bring positive 2nd decisions to other states as well. Lets not hope CA falls off just yet. But, thanks for your support
laugh.gif

One can only hope that California's statutes begun to crumble under the weight of the coming Court challenges following the Heller opinion. As soon as they figure out the 2nd Amendment protects California citizens as much as the other 49 states residents you might see some changes.
It never ceases to amaze me how that State picks and chooses what amendments it recognizes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: woodspider</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> It never ceases to amaze me how that State picks and chooses what amendments it recognizes. </div></div>

Just like Muslim extremists and other religious fanatics. I see a trend there somewhere...
crazy.gif