• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Remington 40 X chambered in .308

Plasmech

Private
Minuteman
Apr 20, 2009
I have been looking for a bolt action range rifle that will shoot 1/2 MOA or less (100 yard shooting mainly, but will reach out to 500 occasionally). I had my eye on the Remington 700 Police, however while at the local dealer today, I was talked into putting a Custom Shop 40X TDR in .308. Is this gun really $2,700 worth of cat's meow? I don't see any work I would need to do to it whatsoever except maybe some day upgrade to a custom McMillan stock.

What about the .308...is that more or less accurate than .223 or .300 win mag? ..although, I know I will not necessarily be in the mood to deal with the .300 mag every time I hit the range.

This will be my first ever "sniper rifle" build...I figure it may as well be a good one. For the money, should I be looking at something else perhaps?

Re: Remington 40 X chambered in .308

Caliber has nothing to do with accuracy, thats a bullshit claim. I woudn't spend 3k on a 40x, buy yourself a sps tactical, shoot the barrel out, then have it trued, a new barrel screwed on, and have it bedded into a nice McMillan or Manners stock. Spend the difference on a good optic like a NF.

I never for the life of me understood why caliber made a difference in accuracy either..I just say it because everybody else does.

I own and shoot a Tac Ops in 30-06. people are always saying that .308 is more accurate then 30-06 due to powder burning rates etc. I call bullshit, and the numerous groups ive shot that measure 1/10th MOA, 1/8MOA, 1/4MOA, and even one <span style="font-weight: bold">1/18th</span> MOA prove em wrong.

You will hear alot of people preaching this shit aswell as other idiotic things on the net such as barrel break ins.... just get yourself a good rifle in the caliber you want and go out and shoot it.
As I said, id get a SPS tactical in .308, bed it into a McMillan and shoot out that barrel then rebarrel, true it, etc...

Oh, there's no way I m actually going to SHOT my new gun. The barrel will get shot out, you know.

Actually for what you get its not a bad deal..Its the production version of the IBA XM3. it comes with a great trigger. 20moa scope base. trued 40x action.excellent match 40x barrel. a supressor capable muzzle brake. tactical bolt knob. 40x bottom metal. and a bedded i believe it is a Mcmillan stock.
for 2700 bucks not bad..If thats what your looking for off the shelf.