• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington 541

glock63

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Sep 5, 2008
Aberdeen, South Dakota
Anyone out there own and shoot the remington 541 .22 rifle? What can you tell me about them? I found one for a reasonable price and am trying to justify grabbing it.

Re: Remington 541

Had a Rem 541T-HB for many years, very accurate rifles.
Mine was the later version.

You want be disappointed with it's accuracy at all and it will compete with the Annies and 40X's

FROM THE REMINGTON SITE:

Description: Bolt Action, Clip Magazine

Introduction Year: 1972

Year Discontinued: 1999

Total Production: Approximately: 31,045 for the Model 541S

Designer/Inventor: Research & Development

Action Type: Bolt Action

Caliber/Gauge: .22 short, .22 long, .22 long rifle

Serial Number Blocks: Starting: N/A
Ending: N/A

# of Grades Offered: N/A

Variations: 541S Sporter
541T Target
541T HB (heavy barrel) added in 1993

FROM GUN TESTS: http://www.gun-tests.com/performance/nov97gggsquirrel.html

In this head-to-head bolt-action test, the Ruger 77/22-R outshoots and has more features than Remington’s 541-T.

Hunting small-game animals like squirrels and rabbits demands accuracy and reliable performance in guns that shoot the .22 LR cartridge, and there are many guns that fill the bill. In a recent shopping search, we located a host of guns that would likely make good hunter rifles, exhibiting minute-of-angle accuracy at 50 yards. Those guns ranged from $175 for a Marlin Model 25 to $700 for a Kimber single shot. But we wanted neither the top of the ladder or the bottom; instead, what we were looking for were rifles that would satisfy an adult hunter with their accuracy and function, but still not cost an arm and a leg.

Those points made us settle on the $399 Ruger 77/22-R and the $399 Remington 541-T. The Remington 541-T is already a favorite hunting rifle because it combines light weight with a reputation for accuracy. Like the 541-T, the Ruger 77/22-R has a strong lineage on the centerfire side, and we wondered if the rimfire 77/22 (which the R in its name designates) would function as well as the company’s full-bore game rifles. Also, we were curious if the shorter 20-inch barrel on the 77/22-R had any effect on accuracy or velocity when compared to the 24-inch tube on the 541-T. It’s a common belief among hunters that shorter rifle barrels produce lower velocities, and we decided to see if that adage held for rimfires.

All range accuracy data was collected at 50 yards from a solid bench using the Hughes Products Ballistic Bench Shooting Bag. Average accuracy data was a compilation of five-round groups, and we shot 10-shot strings through an Oehler 35P at 10 feet to collect chronograph figures. The guns were cleaned with Pro-Shot Lead & Powder Solvent and then fouled between each load tested. Here’s how the two rifles performed.

Ruger Model 77/22-R:
Short Barrel, Big Results
Ruger’s successful 77/22 series contains several models chambered for the .22 Long Rifle round. The Ruger Model 77/22R, which we tested, had a smooth, tapered barrel without iron sights. The 77/22-RS has iron sights, and there are other configurations and barrel weights available. The 77/22-R catalog number 7002 has an MSRP of $473, but our gun retailed for $399.

The most important facet of a gun’s performance is where it puts the rounds. The 77/22-R shot all our test ammunition under 1.5 inches at 50 yards. The best average group size came from CCI Mini-Mag at 1.07 inches. The overall average ended up at 1.22 inch, slightly better than the Remington 541-T.

Start My Subscription to Gun Tests Today and Receive 12 Issues for just $24. Gain full access to our entire online library including thoudands of detailed gun reviews and other Subsciber Benefits!

With a lead in accuracy, we looked to see if the Ruger’s 20-inch barrel lost anything in velocity. If there was a large disparity, it could mean the difference between a rabbit toppled or a rabbit lost. However, the Ruger shot two of the five ammos we tested faster than the 541-T, and the other three brands showed about 1-percent velocity variations.

Features and finish, then, would decide which gun won the test. All metal on our test gun was blued, and the top of the receiver carried a matte finish, which reduced glare off the metal, a helpul feature on a field gun. Our test gun had a 20-inch tapered barrel with an outside diameter of 0.540 inch at the muzzle and 0.920 inch at the chamber. The trigger pull was creepy at 4.25 to 4.5 pounds and had too much overtravel. Adjustment screws on this trigger are not standard, so the shooter would need to enlist the help of a gunsmith to reduce the trigger-pull weight to around 3 pounds and install an overtravel stop screw.

The stock on our test gun was American walnut with a satin, nonglare finish that resembled hand-rubbed oil. It featured machine-cut checkering. A 0.5-inch-thick black-rubber-pad added to the buttstock gave the gun a 13.5-inch length of pull, about right for most shooters wearing hunting clothing. The barrel was not free-floated, and there was a 0.5-inch pressure point at the end of the barrel channel. We found no bedding between the receiver and the stock, which we would add to (hopefully) improve the gun’s accuracy in variable temperatures and humidity. Quick-detachable swivel studs were included, a big edge the gun held over the Remington. Another savings: The Ruger came with standard 1-inch rings that attached to the receiver’s integral mounting system.

The gun comes with one removable rotary magazine that holds 10 rounds. It sits flush with the bottom of the forend stock, which provides a comfortable place to rest the shooter’s palm, fingers, or fist.

Remington 541-T
Our Remington 541-T test gun, catalog number 29824, has a suggested retail price of $455. However, our sample actually retailed for $399. A number of cosmetic touches are reminiscent of centerfire products in the 700 BDL line: an American walnut stock with satin-polyurethane-finished stock, a black forend piece, machine-cut checkering on the forend and pistol grip, and a plastic buttpad and grip cap. The gun weighs 5.5 pounds without base and rings.

As we noted above, the 24-inch-barrel Remington 541-T ran slightly behind the Ruger in accuracy. Groups averaged from 1.28 inches with Federal American Eagle to 1.62 inches with Winchester High Velocity. The gun’s overall average was 1.36 inches. Another positive was its trigger, which broke crisply at 4.75 to 5 pounds with very little overtravel. Moreover, this trigger is completely adjustable and can be tuned down to break at 2 pounds.

That said, we also had problems with the trigger, along with other areas. At the bottom of the trigger shoe, a sharp edge caught the fingers of some testers, causing discomfort when we shot the gun a lot. A trigger with less curve and a slightly wider blade would take care of this problem. The barrel was not free-floated and did not have a pressure point. Free-floating the barrel, bedding the action, and installing a pressure point would improve the accuracy of this firearm, we believe. Sling swivel studs were not included, which is a big negative on a hunting gun. If you add the studs yourself, plan on spending $20 to $30 more just for the hardware. If a ‘smith does the work, figure on $50 to $60. The receiver is drilled and tapped, but we had to purchase Weaver bases and rings for $30 to mount our test scope.

Compounding these oversights, operationally the Remington had problems. The bolt opened with a gritty feel and didn’t display the smooth operation found in other Remington rifles we’ve tested. This rough, grinding feel was from the camming surface on the bolt body and the cocking piece on the firing pin. These two surfaces need to be smoother to eliminate the bolt-function problem. If you hire this work to be done, tack on still another $30 to bring the Remington up to snuff. The plastic five-round magazine, when locked in place, had too much up-and-down movement. If the shooter’s hand or another surface hit the magazine as the bolt closed, the bolt hit the back of the magazine and would not close on the last round in the magazine. At this point, the last round sat straight up in the magazine and failed to feed. Also, the magazine protruded from the bottom of the stock, offering an uneven surface on which to rest the gun.

Guns, Gear & Game Recommends
• The Ruger 77/22-R showed what we think are valuable characteristics in a small-game rifle. The integral scope base and accompanying rings, smooth operation of the bolt, and quick handling make this gun worth the money, in our estimation. However, the trigger does need to be worked to offer the optimum field performance.

• Based on the results we collected with our sample gun, we don’t recommend the Remington 541-T. Its bolt was rough, the magazine caused feeding problems, and it didn’t shoot quite as accurately as the Ruger. Also, providing a scope base, rings, and swivel studs would jack up the actual cost of the 541-T another $75 to $100. That’s money better spent elsewhere, in our view.

ACCURACCY http://www.gun-tests.com/pdfs/1-6-squirrelresults.pdf
CHRONY http://www.gun-tests.com/pdfs/1-6-squirrelchrono.pdf
SPECS http://www.gun-tests.com/pdfs/1-6-squirrelspecs.pdf
PROFILES http://www.gun-tests.com/pdfs/1-6-squirrelprofiles.pdf

YOUTUBE STUFF: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_qFkLF_EfQ

RIMFIRESHOOTING.COM has a bunch of stuff on them, along with RFC.

541 was replaced by the 504, which was replaced by the 547.
504 http://www.chuckhawks.com/rem_504_series.htm
547 http://www.chuckhawks.com/remington_597_rifles.htm

http://www.surplusrifle.com/articles2008/bookreview_remington/pdf/bookreview_remington.pdf

Can't add much info more than the previous post other than to say we have an original 541-S and the later 541-T heavy barrel and they both shoot extremely well. You can't go wrong with either one, we've been using ours to test ammo out to 400 yards and hope to shoot them in LR matches at Rayners.

Not sure what they are going for now but the early S model are harder to find and I've heard have better barrels.

Topstrap

Learned to shoot on an old scoremaster, pretty similar. My dad bought it when he turned 18, he's 86 now. These things are pretty simple, I think the "T" model was there target version and shot pretty well. I know a lot of guys in our club started shooting these in local matches before they got into it and started buying the german stuff. If it is reasonable I'd snag it, they won't go down in value!

had a 541-s. Great gun, hated the plastic mags, and would sometimes throw a first shot flier, went 452 and havent looked back.

I was out in the yard shooting my 541T a few minutes ago. Comparing shorts,CB's and Tenex. CB's are quietist. I've had the rifle since early 80's sometime. It is very accurate. Not picky about ammo. The 5 round mag that came with it never malfunctions. The 10 rounder I bought much later has to be carefully inserted but feeds fine. The chamber is very tight to the point that some ammo with excess lube is hard to chamber. WW and Fed. are better than Rem. in that. It has a Leupold 4x Rimfire on it. Wish I had bought two.

Assuming you are not saying s or t it is a standard model?
They are a step up from the 513 in action and trigger design but I still prefer the 513 for personal reasons.

I had a 541 target model and it shot well for the money. I got rid of it just because I got a good offer for it at the range from someone that just had to have it. I never was a fan of the protrusion of the mag below the stock for offhand, but it does not seem to bother those that want that model. If it was a sporter model I would have kept it.

It never had feed or eject problems. Anyone that is saying that about them, I am sure it can be corrected without much issue.

If you are comfortable with the price, I dont see why you would not want to try it.

Merry Christmas and Good shooting,
DS

I have a 541T-HB. It's been worked on by Brian Voelker and I've been more than pleased with it's performance.

IMAG0043.jpg

0409011254.jpg

100 yd

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 2shots</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Learned to shoot on an old scoremaster, pretty similar. </div></div>

Uhhh.. scoremaster (51x series rifle) is stamped formed sheetmetal receiver. 540/541 is machined receiver.

Yes, the old 51x rifles can and do shoot well - but that is where the similarities end.

I have always enjoyed the 541s. I have one of each except for the 541S. My 541X looks a little rough, but shoots Blazers like it doesn't know any better.

I don't think I've ever seen anyone dress up a 541 as a trainer though...

Chris

Guntests.com does not know shit from shinola. They have no credibility. Check the going price for a 541T and tell me how poor they are. Ruger has never made a gun that can outshoot a Remington

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rolltide</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have always enjoyed the 541s. I have one of each except for the 541S. My 541X looks a little rough, but shoots Blazers like it doesn't know any better.

I don't think I've ever seen anyone dress up a 541 as a trainer though...

Chris </div></div>
Here you go.......
DSC00548.jpg

DSC00549.jpg

DSC00550.jpg