• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington 5R .223 did i get screwed?

nfngun

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 26, 2011
NY
Ok i'm a bit concerned my 5R .223 came in ... shouldn't it have 5R stamped on the barrel or is that just with the 308s?

How does the jeweling typically look on the bolt from the factory this thing is scratched up ... I get it in an open box its filthy the front of the stock is all marked up.

I'm thinking this was display gun but before i loose my button on the phone with the store i need some answers to these questions.

Re: Remington 5R .223 did i get screwed?

i cant say for certain with the .223 but i had a 308 5r and i dont believe it had 5r anywhere on it. u could just look down the barrel and look to make sure its the 5 rifling. my 308 said 10th anniversary edition mil spec on the side of the barrel and was stainless. the jeweling looks like typical jeweling. checkered but no scratches. as far as the stock being scratched thats up to u to decide that.

I bought mine new a few years ago. It was just laying in foam with the bolt separate IIRC. The marks on the stock might just be foam dust. Mine had foam dust all over it. Try rubbing it off. Scratches on the jeweling are to be expected... But not severe. Post some pics.

OK thanks guys i will post picts ... could be cardboard or foam .. as for the stock it could have been very poor quality control but looks like rub marks ... just want to make sure this is my first purchase of a rifle of this level ... like i said before i bitch just wan to make sure . i will post pictures

this thing just look like its been handled allot.

dirty Barell i know they test shoot but seems way too nasty ..

pictures have been posted

IMG_0467.jpg
IMG_0468.jpg
IMG_0470.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nfngun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
IMG_0467.jpg
IMG_0468.jpg
IMG_0470.jpg
</div></div>

Stock doesn't look too bad, but that looks like a lot of wear for a new bolt in my opinion. I'd take it back or ask for a partial refund. I have 700 bolts with hundreds of rounds of ammo through them that don't have that much wear on them.

To me the bolt was a give away I've seen used guns at shows with less abuse. I just needed a confirm. It looks as its been cycled by more than a few people that have swung through the shop.

I ordered online so i can't just go to the shop .. lucky for me i used a credit card, bought online, and item wasn't as advertised, credit card companies tend to take your side in these situations.. we'll see what the shop says. I don't have patients for BS.

I'm tempted to clean it and see how much copper comes out .. .could be a used gun.

I worked at a gunshop and have opened and seen more new guns than I can remember and I have NEVER seen a bolt look ANYTHING like that! Even if the bolt was at a shop on display or gunshows, there is NO WAY in Hell that I'd accept that rifle unless I received a Deeply discounted price.

I know they test shoot at factory but how much copper should there be in the barrell ... Im getting more annoyed the more i look at it.

At first when I saw the pic of the stock I thought, "Big deal." Then I saw the pics of the bolt and I can see why you'd be concerned. That's a lot of wear on the bolt, more than I've ever seen on a new rifle, more than what's even on my used rifle. Definitely give the shop a ring to see what's going on here.

You definately need either a deep discount, a replacement rifle, or your money back.

That is a "used" rifle, I would be on the phone to someone where ever you bought it from ASAP.

closed today or avoiding my call, will call Monday but answering machine says there closed we'll see, IF they don't pick up by Tuesday the credit cards definitely getting a stop payment on it. If they don't do right by this the internet is a powerful tool for spreading the word. notice i'm holding back the name for the moment.

Do the serial #s on the box match the rifle? If they do then someone who works there pulled off an "I'm going to switch out my old rifle/box for this new one". If they don't match I guess they skipped that part and just threw their old gun in the new box.

not to make you feel even more pissed, but just as a point of reference, I purchased mine from a gentleman off the Hide. He said he put about 200 rounds through it, since receiving it, I have put another 200 through it, and the bolt looks perfect still.

Like the others said, there isn't anything on the barrel about the 5R rifling so I wouldn't worry about that if you count the correct number of grooves. However, I'd be pissed at the chips and the wear on that bolt. That is not a new rifle, I don't care what anyone says.

numbers match ... and the old switch very much crossed my mind.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: redirt78</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do the serial #s on the box match the rifle? If they do then someone who works there pulled off an "I'm going to switch out my old rifle/box for this new one". If they don't match I guess they skipped that part and just threw their old gun in the new box. </div></div>

Well then its probably a good thing they match. There should be record (or not) of that exact rifle since the day it got there going by the serial number. That would let the owners know that someone switched guns once it arrived (if that serial # isn't in their log books). If that doesn't work then the owner might actually be the one who did the switch... Good luck man, definitely sucks and I hope they make it right.

I have several rounds through my 5R and my bolt looks prestine compared to this one...I would call them up, be nice and ask them what they plan to do to make it right. If that doesnt work, then you tell them and THEN YOU MAKE THEM!

No way this is a new rifle. I have owned a number of 700s and it takes hundreds of rounds to put that much wear on the bolt.

Let us know how this turns out.

Good luck.

Just checked my 5R. 350 appr. rounds through her, and my Bolt looks alot better than yours. .308 Just another thought. I ALWAYS keep the factory box, in the attic, for resale, if and when.Looks like you got a used gun.

we'll initial complaint has been sent to credit company ... I have to try to get in contact with seller before they allow me to move forward they have till Tuesday ... now i expect a new in sealed box.

NFNGUN,
You will not be happy keeping this rifle. I just went thru a similar situation and it cost me transfers, shipping and some incidental costs.
I returned the thing and the plague is gone.
Good luck.
I ordered a 223 5r to replace my 'problem' rifle and will post, hopefully, a good deal.

That looks like a Buds Guns special. Not sure where you got it but I would send it back.

I'm back... Definitely looks like more than normal wear on the bolt. If this was supposed to be a NEW rifle I would be taking it back for another.

PM me the place you got it from. i am going to order one this week in .308 with a 20" threaded barrel.

this is exactly why i hate ordering off the internet. but these are not very common guns, so i am kinda forced to do it.

good luck man.

2bro's, please elaborate a little on the buds guns special. thanks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: corey4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">2bro's, please elaborate a little on the buds guns special. thanks. </div></div>

I have received a couple of handguns from them that I guarantee were more than test fired. Just like the rifle in question, it showed more wear than it should for a factory new gun. A buddy of mine bought a Savage rifle that was suppose to come with an HS Precision Stock or Accustock, don't remember, and it came with the cheap plastic junk stock. All numbers matched on rifle and box. It was funny how the stock screws weren't even snug. Needless to say, I won't be buying from them anymore.

Just too note this is NOT a BUDS gun ... i did buy a Marlin from Buds in November it was new unopened box. I was going to order a 5R from them but there model number was missing a digit and no one could confirm it was indeed the right 5R so i didnt buy ..

Ended up getting the shaft anyway ..

I would have bought locally but no distributor carries these it seem to be more popular in the Midwest where prairie dogs roam.

So i'm stuck buying online.

I just got off the phone with Remington if you don't need The 5R right away put in an order with your local gun shop ... The customer service rep looked up the production schedule for me .. These guns are being produced 10 months out of the year "aggressive production scheduled". Unfortunately the two months they won't be making them is March and April of this year ...

If your an East coast shooter we are stuck because it appears east coast distribution is out of them, the local dealer also talked to Remington apparently the last run was a custom order that went to a singe midwest distributor.

Biggest problem its not listed in the regular catalog as its a custom shop gun so your dealer will have to do some leg work and make a few phone calls.

the irony of it all this gun is Made here in my home state and i have to order cross country.

So what did the shop say ... or Remmington say about the used condition of the rifle?

Shops got back too me they are sending a replacement. So my anxiety has dropped a little, wont be gone until i have a crisp new rifle in hand.

Now i have to find out what my FFL is going to charge for this.

In AZ its $30 or $35 per item ... so did they give you an explanation .....?

They say the gun is new, and if I'm not happy with it thats all that matters. He can offer me a discount or send me a new one. no friction at all it was a 2 min phone call, they are shipping a new one.

Good to hear but we all know that's not a new gun. Glad you are getting an actual new gun now. Let us know and post some pics comparing the new one with the old one.

That's good to hear. I bought mine off another hide member and he said it had 100rds down it, but you couldn't tell when it was taken out of the box! I'd be pretty dang certain that is a well used gun! Nice to know the shop took care of you and hopefully it was an honest mistake and not an attempt at taking advantage of a fella!

Good to hear that they are addressing the issue. There's a local shop around here that will let you rent new guns to shoot on the range. They then get put back on display and sold as "new".

Were there signs of a scope base being mounted on the rifle?

Here is the BS around that .. ifs its never been sold and registered to any specific person a shop can do what ever the hell they want with a gun and claim its a new item. Used is used registered or not.

No signs of bases being mounted .

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Engineer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Good to hear that they are addressing the issue. There's a local shop around here that will let you rent new guns to shoot on the range. They then get put back on display and sold as "new".

Were there signs of a scope base being mounted on the rifle? </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nfngun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here is the BS around that .. ifs its never been sold and registered to any specific person a shop can do what ever the hell they want with a gun and claim its a new item. Used is used registered or not.</div></div>

What state has long-gun registration??????????

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nfngun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just too note this is NOT a BUDS gun ... i did buy a Marlin from Buds in November it was new unopened box. I was going to order a 5R from them but there model number was missing a digit and no one could confirm it was indeed the right 5R so i didnt buy ..

Ended up getting the shaft anyway ..

I would have bought locally but no distributor carries these it seem to be more popular in the Midwest where prairie dogs roam.

So i'm stuck buying online. </div></div> I just put an order at Buds for my 5R 20" prethreaded barrel i hope it'll work out. I've never order online before?

detphasouk, i just ordered mine in .308 last night from franks guns in NY. i have ordered stuff off the internet, but never a $1000 gun i have never seen, literally. i didn't know these existed until a few weeks ago. its not like you can just run down and handle one at the local shop.

it should be here by friday at the latest. PM me and let me know how it turns out.

i don't even like ordering stuff that i KNOW is what i want, or in the size i need; work boots, clothes, motorcycle parts, etc.

so this whole thing kinda has me a bit nervous.

I ordered my 5R from Bud's back in Nov 2011 and it was brand new. Absolutely no problems whatsoever on my first online gun purchase. About the same time a friend ordered a new Savage from Bud's and again no problem. Hope it all turns out well for you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: corey4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">detphasouk, i just ordered mine in .308 last night from franks guns in NY. i have ordered stuff off the internet, but never a $1000 gun i have never seen, literally. i didn't know these existed until a few weeks ago. its not like you can just run down and handle one at the local shop.

it should be here by friday at the latest. PM me and let me know how it turns out.

i don't even like ordering stuff that i KNOW is what i want, or in the size i need; work boots, clothes, motorcycle parts, etc.

so this whole thing kinda has me a bit nervous. </div></div>

Franks is good to go, they will take care of you.

a few people on here, and a few on 24hourcampfire had mentioned him, as well as buds gun shop. so i went with franks guns.

What state, any state requireing a NICS check ... the check isnt free, the serials are recorded on paper with your name.you can call it a background check its a Registration!

NYC you need a liscense/permit

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tylerw02</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nfngun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here is the BS around that .. ifs its never been sold and registered to any specific person a shop can do what ever the hell they want with a gun and claim its a new item. Used is used registered or not.</div></div>

What state has long-gun registration?????????? </div></div>

if they where closer i would have went to the shop.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gregch44</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: corey4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">detphasouk, i just ordered mine in .308 last night from franks guns in NY. i have ordered stuff off the internet, but never a $1000 gun i have never seen, literally. i didn't know these existed until a few weeks ago. its not like you can just run down and handle one at the local shop.

so this whole thing kinda has me a bit nervous. </div></div>

Franks is good to go, they will take care of you. </div></div>

1:9 Twist .... Some may argue that is too slow but from the questions ive asked and posts ive read it appears to handle everything from 55 to 75grains ...

Cant wait to actually get one too shoot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rdsii64</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What is the twist rate on these 5R .223's </div></div>

Update ... Replacement is in ... Nice! ... Just waiting on the timney, rail, and rings.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nfngun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Update ... Replacement is in ... Nice! ... Just waiting on the timney, rail, and rings. </div></div>

I'm guessing a night and day difference to the first rifle they shipped you. Did they offer an explanation as to the difference? Interesting that all it took was a 2 minute call and they immediately offered a replacement or discount. Kind of like they knew they were moving a less than desirable product.

Regardless glad you got it sorted out!!!!!

Night and Day to be sure, Above the obvious speculation there was no reason given. This one came in a sealed box, The stock is clean the webbing isnt dirty and flattened out no rub marks from a gun rack, .. the bolt only minor scratches all the jewing is still intact and the head of the bolt is still black. Now i have them side by side the trigger was even adjusted on the first one the screw is backed out about an 1/8 the new in box is near flush.

Cant wait to break it in.