• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Remington 5R freebore question.

eravelo

Private
Minuteman
Oct 1, 2009
Miami Lakes, FL
Fellow posters,

Does my Remington 5R have too much freebore?

I posed this question to my gunsmith, but while I await his answer I will pose it to you.

I calculated my Remington "milspec" (whose mil issued this spec?) 308 5R's freebore today using a Hornady OAL gauge with their modified 308W case and Comparator. Federal 168gr. GMM ammo was used as a reference.

The correct Sierra match King 168 gr. HPBT bullets were used with the Hornady OAL gauge.

The COAL measurements of the modified case in the chamber (after the bullet contacted the rifling) averaged 2.937in. Since the Federal 168 GMM measures 2.800in, that bullet would have to jump .137in to the rifling.
The same .137in was confirmed using the comparator (measured at the ogive) with both cases.

Therefore using Federal 168 GMM, the jump to the rifling is .137in

Is that excessive? I read that Remington chambers are long because of litigation worries, and that most 5R's come that way with no ill effect on accuracy. What has been your experience?

I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet, will do so this weekend with an interim base and scope. I was hoping to send it off to have a T5A stock and other work done on it, but I need to see if this barrel is OK first.

Your response is appreciated,

Jorge Ravelo
Miami Lakes, FL

Re: Remington 5R freebore question.

i don't personally shoot a 5r but that freebore sounds pretty typical of what i have heard others mention.

Compared to custom match chambered rifles the freebore is long, compared to factory chambers it is normal.

Sounds about right for Remington chambers. My 700P had a jump of 1.3 something" with the 175's loaded to mag length (2.86). It would group about .75" with 5 shots on average. I put on a new barrel and am waiting on a custom reamer from PTG to get this thing shooting good.

Remington have huge jumps and horrible barrel to receiver threading. I took my Rem 5r cut the threads off re thread it then chambered it in .308 match. its a 1/4 moa 5 group gun. I shoot both vld and target style bullets the SMK 175 I load at 2.8 COAL and the Berger vld 2.890 COAL.

My Rem 700, 30-06 freebore is .110". My Buddys Rem 700, 7mm STW is .165". These numbers are with the ammo loaded Max OAL. Sucks but it is what it is. But my 06 has killed a buttload of deer with that xlong freebore and they didn't seem to mind.
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eravelo</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> ........ and that most 5R's come that way with no ill effect on accuracy. What has been your experience?
</div></div>

My experience is that P's, PSS's, LTR's and 5R's all have Linda Lovelace throat and the vast majority of them shoot stubby FGMM better than most of their owners can.

That's one of the reasons I quit "chasing the lands" years ago with my reloads.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eravelo</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> ........ and that most 5R's come that way with no ill effect on accuracy. What has been your experience?
</div></div>

My experience is that P's, PSS's, LTR's and 5R's all have Linda Lovelace throat and the vast majority of them shoot stubby FGMM better than most of their owners can.
</div></div>
If the 168 FGMM are stubby, is the 175 FGMM the adequate John Holmes cartridge for the Linda Lovelace throat?

Mine has .195" of bullet jump to the lands and will shoot in the high teens and low .2's (Bedded in another stock, good trigger, etc,etc.) with 178 Amax's.

If the gun shoots well, your barrel will last forever and you'll also get low pressures and high velocities, be happy!!

5 shot .5" or less with everything 155s to 178s. Your right to understand your chamber but worrying about it not so much.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hellbender</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mine has .195" of bullet jump to the lands and will shoot in the high teens and low .2's (Bedded in another stock, good trigger, etc,etc.) with 178 Amax's.

If the gun shoots well, your barrel will last forever and you'll also get low pressures and high velocities, be happy!! </div></div>

Comforting words Mr. Hell Bender!
I never paid attention to modern precision shooting as I was a devotee of rpm not moa. I had no ranges over 100 yds at my disposal until recently.
I swerved into this 5R, but I hate the stock, and I plan to replace it with a Manners T5A. If I do good with this setup I am going custom, possibly 300 WinMag.
Thanks to all for your replies.

Jorge

Jorge-
The 175's are heavier, but the part of the bullet large enough to start engraving on the lands (the ogive) isn't much further forward than the 168's.
Unless you are single feeding VLD's loaded really long (which won't fit in any magazines-bolid ot detachable) you will have plenty of jump.
Don't sweat it and shoot that barrel out-it will serve you well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: redrider308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Your getting ahead of yourself here.JUST SHOOT IT! </div></div>

And I did so today!!!!!
To say I am pleased is an understatement.
Coming from a guy with 0 (that is zero) experience shooting a 308 for groups, who had never shot a non-pistol grip precision rifle ever ( I have an AR15 SPR-type rifle), I feel I did pretty good, er... the 5R did great.

I put 40 rounds of 168gr. Federal american eagle & 20 rounds of 168gr FGMM thru her today. Off a bench using a bipod and rear bag. 100 yds, no wind, with a lot of hot steel cases from a gangbangers' WASR AKM raining down onto my unsuspecting neck.

After getting my technique down (loading the bipod, controlling the buttstock with a rear bag, staying calm) I was able to put 12rds of the AE load into 1.6in, and five of the FGMM into one inch.
18a6f5a3-1.jpg

bc553dc2-2.jpg

I noticed that most of the dispersion is vertical while the horizontal dispersion is less than a half inch, so my bipod preloading is deficient. I was also very pleased with the AE load.

My fears are groundless. Off to ADCO it goes for an Ops Inc 12th model. More ammo & practice are on the way.

Regards,

Jorge

Honestly I can shoot better groups with my stock 5r.Then my friends with custom rifles.Do some reloading an I think you`ll find the rifle will shoot little ragged holes.