• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Remington 5r stock pad

King

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 18, 2008
Warsaw, VA
I'm sitting here thinking about replacing my butt pad - If it take this off will I be albe to get it back on and make it look the same? Essentially is it glued on or do I need to start poking holes to find screws? Thannks -King

Re: Remington 5r stock pad

im trying to find a way to add an inch to mine, my buddy just took his off and put a grind to fit limbsaver on. i looked good and i think im going that route...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: King</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What is the best way to remove it?</div></div>
tape the butt with marking tape and use a hacksaw with a new fine tooth blade.becareful.put a limbsaver.

Liberal amounts of tape on the stock next to the cut line to prevent accidental nicks. Mitre type handsaw (fine tooth) works great. Cut close to the stock but not into it. What you don't cut off can be ground away for a perfect surface to mount new pad to.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: King</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What is the best way to remove it? </div></div>

Throw the stock in the freezer overnight. Pull from freezer, take chisel and hammer and one good hit should knock it off.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ColoWyo</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: King</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What is the best way to remove it? </div></div>

Throw the stock in the freezer overnight. Pull from freezer, take chisel and hammer and one good hit should knock it off. </div></div>

+100 On what he said! Best way i've found!!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: long range dogr</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ColoWyo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Throw the stock in the freezer overnight. Pull from freezer, take chisel and hammer and one good hit should knock it off. </div></div>

+100 On what he said! Best way i've found!!!! </div></div>

Which reminds me, I need to get a bigger freezer.

Why are you replacing it in the first place? Is it damaged? Or is there some other reason, like LOP or Recoil issues?

The reason I ask is because custom features rarely bring their value at resale, and can sometimes turn a potential buyer away.

Much as I dislike altering a military service rifle, I am also leery of alterig a classic, or potentially classic rifle.

If the LOP is short, or the recoil is annoying, consider adding a slip-on Limbsaver pad. It serves the purpose, the original appearance is preserved (perhaps even protected) under the slip-on, and when time comes to resell, take it off and nobody's the wiser. And if anybody tries to pooh-pooh the pad's appearance, maybe you just found out who's not your friend after all (beauty is as beauty does!).

Greg

It defintitely turns me off when looking at rifles and you see the stock butchered up. For Example,older BDL Varmints. Go with the slip-on.
Guns262.jpg