• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington 600

rubar01

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 22, 2010
Luling, Louisiana
How practical would a Remington 600 in 308 be for a light handy play rifle? Found one inexpensive in very good shape.
Thanks in advance.

Re: Remington 600

I have a 600 mohawk in 6mm besides trying to find factory ammo, i love the rifle my favorite go to deer gun for when i can't bring the ATV and have to hike it, super short and light

Nice handling rifles. I have one in 243 Ackley. Very light rifles make them packable.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cajunshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Think I'm going to go ahead and get it. </div></div>

Get it. You will not be sorry. I have one that I have had for 25 or so years. It is fun to shoot. It goes without saying that there is a big difference between shooting a 6-7 lb rifle in 308 as opposed to an 11-12 lb rifle.

I am hoping to take mine on an elk hunt in a few years.

Let us know what you think.

I own its brother the Rem 660, basically the same. I have owned and sold hundereds of rifles and the only one that has stayed with me over the course has been my 660. It is also a .308 and shoots damn good and is a real pleasure to carry. I have a Leupold scope on it it think it is a 2-7x32 and really makes for a light, compact hunting rifle.

There is also a great replacement metal trigger guard that can be bought for these rifles from this guy.
Willie
Coquille Valley Machine Works
541-396-6246

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/2637010/1

Now that I think about it I should keep quit as these keep going up in price and harder to find in good shape. Hope you get it and enjoy.

get it! they're great elk guns.

i don't do much "playing" with mine- it kicks like a hungover mule, but there's no better rifle to take on a 20 mile deathmarch in the mountains.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cajunshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How practical would a Remington 600 in 308 be for a light handy play rifle? Found one inexpensive in very good shape.
Thanks in advance.</div></div>

I have a Rem 600 in 308 Win. It's arguably the best cartidge in the 600 Mohawk with it's 18" barrel. They are light, portable, and reasonably accurate. The factory stock has a hard plastic buttplate and I find it causes bruising with factory loads. A jacket will stop that, though I replaced the stock with an HS-Precision with a recoil pad. It's good for shooting offhand. Not made for prone or from a rest. I used mine for NRA silhouette.

Inexpensive would be under $600 in today's inflated dollars.
Whether you have a use for it is your decision.

I have an old 660 chambered in 308 as well. It was given to me when I was a boy and I've hunted with it since the 70's. Its light, easy to maneuver in a tree stand and in the brush. I have a 3 x 9 Leopold on it. With my reloads it still holds well under an inch at 100 yards.

Well I bought it. It's on it's way from kalifornia. Hopefully will have it by Tuesday, if not, I'll have to wait till Thursday. Will be interesting to shoot. What grain bullets have you had he best results with? Thanks for the wealth of knowledge from all the members on a great sight!

Good find, they're getting rare. The guys that have them don't want to get rid of them, and the guys that got rid of them are trying to get them back. Best bolt action brush gun I've ever found. Congrats!

Bought my 600 in .308win Dec 67. She was topped with a 4X Weaver, until I found a 2.5X8X36 Leupold. Sold many a gun along the way, but I'll never part with that old girl.

This one was manufactured in October of 66. From the pictures it looks to be in great shape. Someone put a thick acrylic clear coat on the stock. I will probably remove that and refinish the stock with some linsead oil. I'll post some pictures when it's complete and take to the range for a test.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cajunshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What grain bullets have you had he best results with? Thanks for the wealth of knowledge from all the members on a great sight!</div></div>

It's an 18" 12T barrel and a "standard" 308 chamber and throat with a 2.8" magazine limitation. It will shoot 308 Win SAAMI spec or 7.62x51 NATO ammo. The 600 is a strong action with a fast lock time. The barrel will give long life with standard loads. There's plenty of surplus FMJ NATO ammo around but it's doesn't expand for hunting. I'd only say stay away from very light (long jump to the lands) or very heavy (low velocity and low energy) bullets. 308 Win is not a good choice for VLD bullets in a 2.8" magazine.

I shoot mostly Australian ADI 147 grain FMJ ball for plinking and Federal 168 grain SMK Match when I shot NRA silhouette years ago with that rifle. It would reliably take down the 500 meter rams. I still have plenty of both to use up before I get too old to shoot. The 600 Mohawk was my favorite for rifle silhouette competition.

I was thinking of getting some 150g ballistic tip for hunting. I've got some 175 match I was going to try out and see what it will do out to 400 - 500. Really looking to keep It under 300. Thanks for the info and help.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cajunshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well I bought it. It's on it's way from kalifornia. Hopefully will have it by Tuesday, if not, I'll have to wait till Thursday. Will be interesting to shoot. What grain bullets have you had he best results with? Thanks for the wealth of knowledge from all the members on a great sight! </div></div>

Please share pictures when you get it.

Hopefully on Friday. Called the sender to get tracking number, called UPS they told me to have to sender get in touch with them. Sender called me back and TX me it should be delivered late friday. Will post pics and range results.