• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington 700 .308 18.5"

keith jones

Minuteman
Sep 14, 2010
Bulls Gap,TN
I am hoping to get my build going soon. I have been leaning toward a barrel length of 18.5" this will mainly be my deer hunting rifle. I hunt mostly mountain land so not a lot of long range shots maybe 250yd down in the bottom land. I plain on mainly shooting 165 and 168gr bullets. My question is what twist would you guys recommend for a stubby 18.5 barrel. It will be a bartlein rem/var contour. What kind of velocity can i expect going this short compared to a 20". Thanks

for 165/168s I don't think the twist will matter all that much. might go 1:10 if you ever forsee playing with subsonics and a suppressor. other than that, 1:12, 1:11, or 1:10 wont matter much.

I have a Remington 700 Tactical that has a 1 in 11.25" twist. I had it cut down to 18" and it loves the 175gr Sierra Matchkings.

Tim

Hey Keith, I would say 11.25" unless you have any ideas of trying to shoot the really heavy subsonic stuff. It is a gives you the ability to shoot a good variety of bullet styles and weights. Your velocity won't change much at all and at the distances you are wanting to shoot I would go as short as want to keep the rifle as handy as possible. If you want more speed out of a short barrel choose the right powder and work up a load with speed in mind.