• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington 700 .308 PSS

Riddller

Private
Minuteman
Jan 19, 2021
Freeman, WA
I am looking for some advice regarding a rifle that I have been holding for a build for years. I have a original Remington 700 .308 PSS that has a low round count. I was impressed at how accurate the rifle is. I have my own rifle and pistol range but I am limited to 300 yards. I have been looking at the fully built up versions of these rifles selling for $2500 or more locally. I am not a competition shooter and my ammunition stock in .308 is not high end custom competition quality. side note I have several upper end AR-10 rifles.

Long story short Is it worth the money to add the bottom magazine upgrade which alone is $500? or should I just add upgrades to my AR10 supply with the $$?

I do realize that this group are dedicated shooters with lot's of knowledge. My skill set is far less honed and focused on pistol shooting.

I welcome opinions and ideas as a Newbie

Adding DBM will not make your rifle any more accurate. The bottom line, is the ease of loading and unloading quickly worth $500. If I was at my own range shooting 300 yards for fun then I wouldn't. If you were building a rifle for competing and using in applications requiring you to load/unload quickly then I'd go for it.

Adding DBM will not make your rifle any more accurate. The bottom line, is the ease of loading and unloading quickly worth $500. If I was at my own range shooting 300 yards for fun then I wouldn't. If you were building a rifle for competing and using in applications requiring you to load/unload quickly then I'd go for it.
thanks a ton

They’re great rifles, actually. Underrated IMO (I learned to shoot long range on one, which I still own.

You may have seen this vid but if not, showcases the PSS with some basic mods including the DBM (I’d def do it if you plan on shooting it often).

They’re great rifles, actually. Underrated IMO (I learned to shoot long range on one, which I still own.

You may have seen this vid but if not, showcases the PSS with some basic mods including the DBM (I’d def do it if you plan on shooting it often).

That was a nice video - I really enjoyed that.

showcases the PSS with some basic mods including the DBM (I’d def do it if you plan on shooting it often).

I disagree. Adding a DBM is a waste of money unless the main use of the rifle is significantly handicapped without it, or if the DBM system is integral to some other upgrade (like a chassis that comes ready for AICS mags).

For fun shooting that doesn't require frequent loading/unloading or reloading on the clock, the DBM adds little to no value.

If you want it, go for it. Then, later down the road if you want to participate in a local match, you'll be in a better position to compete.

I've got an FN that I just purchased a McMillan and TBM for that I don't need, but I'm going to have LRI inlet the stock for it. Because I want to.

Reactions: Riddller

That is a nice rifle, simple, with a fixed 10X scope.
But that never was a PSS, let alone a 700P.
The rifle was a 5R Milspec.
The PSS hasn't been a catalog item for at least 20 years.
It was originally a custom shop produced weapon, I finger fucked one back in the mid-90's and stupidly talked myself out of it.
It was a superior rifle to the 700 P, though the 700 P has always been a pretty solid performer.
I like DBM's, I prefer them, but they aren't required.
500 seems a bit spendy, a PT&G bottom metal will run you about 150, Grayboe also sells DBM's, inletting your stock shouldn't be more than 100 bucks.

That is a nice rifle, simple, with a fixed 10X scope.
But that never was a PSS, let alone a 700P.
The rifle was a 5R Milspec.
The PSS hasn't been a catalog item for at least 20 years.
It was originally a custom shop produced weapon, I finger fucked one back in the mid-90's and stupidly talked myself out of it.
It was a superior rifle to the 700 P, though the 700 P has always been a pretty solid performer.
I like DBM's, I prefer them, but they aren't required.
500 seems a bit spendy, a PT&G bottom metal will run you about 150, Grayboe also sells DBM's, inletting your stock shouldn't be more than 100 bucks.

Yep, it’s a 5R in the vid but otherwise superficially similar
$500 seemed high but figured that was the cost of the package OP was considering. It’s 2021, no reason a practical / tactical rifle shouldn’t have a DBM unless it’s not shot often or perhaps used as a hunting rifle.

OP was asking for opinions on a subjective issue, only he can determine if something is with it to him or not. But since he asked, I gave mine.

Why didn’t you buy the PSS?

Reactions: Riddller and MMH
Yep, it’s a 5R in the vid but otherwise superficially similar
$500 seemed high but figured that was the cost of the package OP was considering. It’s 2021, no reason a practical / tactical rifle shouldn’t have a DBM unless it’s not shot often or perhaps used as a hunting rifle.

OP was asking for opinions on a subjective issue, only he can determine if something is with it to him or not. But since he asked, I gave mine.

Why didn’t you buy the PSS?
Because I was an idiot.
In regards to Henry's rifle in the vid, I actually ended up with a 5R mil-spec, fucking incredibly accurate, barrel is long gone, replaced with a Schneider.
I tend to over analyze shit. I had a 7mm I was handloading for at the time, I was on a limited budget, so I wanted to stay with a 7mm.
I ended up ordering a Sendero in 7mm Rem mag, it cost the same as the lightly used PSS.
I wasn't in love with the stippling on the grip of the PSS (I didn't understand ANY of what I was looking at).
I was really hung up on staying with the 7 so I could at least share bullets, because I was (and still am) a poor.
I do love the 7mm, but I eventually ended up with several .30 cals.

Reactions: xsn10s
So I am wondering if I might have mislabeled the rifle. I will post some pics. I paid $500 from a former police officer raising $$ to buy a airplane. View attachment 7532411
IMG_4939.jpg
View attachment 7532410

That's a very nice and capable system you have there. Point it at most any medium-to-large mammal within 300 yards and you can kill it.

I like a detachable magazine on the 700 because I think loading and reloading the internal BDM magazine is a pain in the ass. With a thumb push I can unload and re-load a 5- or 10-shot AI mag.

Bottom metal doesn't have to be expensive, and it doesn't cost a lot to have a decent gunsmith fit it to an H-S stock.

This started out as a Virginia State Trooper's personal 700 Police (he wanted an AR after the Assault Rifle Ban took effect). I modified and changed a lot of it, starting with a trigger and stock swap. It's now in a KRG Bravo. After 26 years it's getting fitted with a new Bartlein and an Area 419 brake:

700V.jpg

Last edited:
700 P (parkerized).
Pulled straight off the same line as the SPS varmint model. However, if you got one with the 40x trigger, it is a MUCH better trigger than the regular trigger and the stock is far superior as well.
They are very good shooters.
FWIW Hawkins also makes a dbm for about 175.
I much prefer external mag fed as opposed to internal.
I would be leery of spending too much as you can get a KRG Bravo for less than 400.

Ok so it's a 700 police not a PSS? not a 5r milspec? I spent hours on gunbroker trying to figure out what it was? I'm not too much invested so I might just shoot it for a while then add the BDM noted that is less expensive. How can I tell about the trigger? sight or feel? I warned you guys I was a newbie.

Again thanks guys

700 P means it is parkerized.
700 PSS means police sharp shooter.
The 40x trigger is externally adjustable with a grooved trigger shoe.
I'm not positive you even have a 700 P, as the barrel profile looks a bit small. Hard to tell with the angle of the pictures.
Post a picture or measure th diameter of the muzzle.

It looks like the ltr in the link above
Strange for a newbie. Remington lists so many variants. Remington doesn't allow for SN# lookup that I could find but I could be wrong. I put it back away. I will measure the barrel. It's a heavy tank. Bull barrel with a recessed crown.(I think that is the right terminology) thanks again

I like a detachable magazine on the 700 because I think loading and reloading the internal BDM magazine is a pain in the ass. With a thumb push I can unload and re-load a 5- or 10-shot AI mag.
In a nutshell, this is exactly why I always recommend doing away with hinged floor plates in favor of DBMs on 700s.

3/4 thick barrel, 24" barrel measured from the hole forward of the action to the end of the barrel. I am not sure I measured from the correct spot on the barrel measurement. thanks

Attachments

• IMG_4950.jpg
    IMG_4950.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 207
  • IMG_4952.jpg
    IMG_4952.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 261
  • IMG_4947.jpg
    IMG_4947.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 208
I don't know what a 700 P is, except maybe the old 700 Varmint in the plain GI M40-style wood stock with parkerized finish. Looks like Riddller's rifle is a PSS (Police Sniper System). It's not the 5R with the heavier taper.

M40-ish (1960s-70s, wood):

img_0338-e1532573577332.jpg

to my untrained eye it looks much like this 96' era rifle. Even the serial numbers are close.

Reactions: sinister
I don't know what a 700 P is, except maybe the old 700 Varmint in the plain GI M40-style wood stock with parkerized finish. Looks like Riddller's rifle is a PSS (Police Sniper System). It's not the 5R with the heavier taper.

M40-ish (1960s-70s, wood):

img_0338-e1532573577332.jpg

I'm pretty sure the 700 PSS (Police Sniper System/ Police Sharpshooter) was rebranded the 700 P (Police), otherwise they're the same configuration in so far as stock, varmint contour barrel, trigger, parkerized finish, 1:12 twist, etc.. To throw a monkey wrench into this the 700 Varmints were configured very similarly but had a 26" barrel, blued finish, and either a laminated wood stock or HS Precision Varmint stock. Depending on the vintage 700 Varmints were available with the older Walker-style trigger but that eventually changed to the X-mark triggers. The 700 LTR was set up with a 20" fluted barrel and a lighter, smaller profile HS Precision stock. The 700 5R "Milspec" is a stainless action and varmint contour barrel, 11.25" twist rate, and a HSP stock similar to the 700 P but a little different in the forend area.

Again,
The 700 PSS (Police Sharpshooter) was discontinued decades ago, before the SPS series of rifles entered production, it was replaced by the 700 P.
It is very difficult to find anything specific on the PSS series.
The 700 P came originally came in two varieties the standard 700P with a 26" barrel and the LTR with a 20" fluted barrel. Further research shows that they changed the barrel length to 24" rifles.
The 700 P with 26" barrel was nothing more than an SPS varmint in a better stock and sometimes with a better trigger.
The 5R milspec, as noted, was a stainless action, it came with a 24" barrel, the HS Precision stock was nearly identical to the 700P, except is was a light green in color and the fore-end was shorter.

OP, it's a damn nice rifle. I think you may have one of the run of 24" 700P rifles. I found this on a Remington page that hasn't been deleted.
You have a 1-10 twist barrel (originally they were 1-12). You have a 40X trigger, an excellent trigger.

CONFIGURATIONSKUIMAGECALIBERTRIGGERBARREL LENGTHTWISTBARREL MATERIALCHASSISMAGAZINEWEIGHTLENGTH
Model 700P
View Product
86672.22534bd710fdd219158382ad63fe163622.jpg
223 Remington40XP Adjustable26"1:9; 6RHammer Forged Carbon SteelH-S Precision4rd Internal7.5lbs47"
Model 700P
View Product
308 Win40XP Adjustable24"1:10Hammer Forged Carbon SteelH-S Precision4rd Internal8lbs47"
Model 700P
View Product
300 Win Mag40XP Adjustable24"1:10; 5RHammer Forged Carbon SteelH-S Precision3rd Internal8lbs47"
Model 700 TWS
View Product
86676.22534bd710fdd219158382ad63fe163622.jpg
308 Win40XP Adjustable24"1:10; 5RHammer Forged Carbon SteelH-S Precision4rd Internal8lbs47"

Who made the spigot mount for the H&S?

@FarmallA - not sure who made the spigot mount, maybe Versapod? They were producing Parker-Hale bipod and accessory copies around that timeframe that generation of 700s were being put to market (late 90’s to early-mid 2000’s).

Reactions: TurdFerguson
thanks a ton fdkay. Sounds like it's worth playing with and adding some mods. which bdm swap would you favor? Any other modifications necessary for a proven newbie?

I don't like leaving my rifles with gunsmiths but I may have no choice to adapt the bdm. Call me a control freak but I grow fond of certain things.

thanks a ton fdkay. Sounds like it's worth playing with and adding some mods. which bdm swap would you favor? Any other modifications necessary for a proven newbie?

I don't like leaving my rifles with gunsmiths but I may have no choice to adapt the bdm. Call me a control freak but I grow fond of certain things.
You should be able to find a local smith that can inlet it for you.