• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Remington 700 .308

2NDAMENDMENT

Private
Minuteman
May 15, 2014
I am looking to buy a Remington 700 .308 for my soon-to-be husband but am not sure on which model is best to go with. He mainly wants to use it for hunting and maybe a little target shooting here and there. Can anyone suggest a good model to look into?

Also, he wants a bipod and scope. I've been looking at the Harris bipods but does anyone have any scope suggestions? I don't really have a budget, but want something of good quality that's not too too expensive.

Thank you! :)

Looking at Remington 5R

I was looking at that one, along with the SPS and the AAC-SD but not really sure if they are all suitable for hunting and what the major differences are. Also, I'm having a hard time finding where I can buy them (new). I live in NJ but can get to Cabelas and Gander Mountain - I've looked on their websites but I'm having a hard time finding these specific models

If he is wanting to hunt mostly and maybe a little target shooting, I'd get something a little lighter. That's a lot of barrel

Oh okay, gotcha. I tried finding retailers for the 5R online but can't seem to find any. Any suggestions where to find one?

Yeah, they are out of stock at most retailers. I have the AAC/SD that I use for LR target shooting but the 20" barrel would also make it ideal for hunting IMO. I used to hunt with a Ruger .308 Frontier Scout that had a 16.5" barrel and it would hit anything out to 300 yards.

I found a few versions of the 20" barrel on Gunbroker.com. Here are a few links..(keep in mind the rifle would have to be shipped to a FFL holder in your area who will charge you a small fee to handle the transaction. Good luck... Your soon-to-be is a lucky man!

Remington 700 SPS Tactical AAC .308 WIN NIB : Bolt Action Rifles at GunBroker.com

Remington 700 Tactical 308 - No shipping, no fees : Bolt Action Rifles at GunBroker.com

Try calling Mile High Shooting. Not sure if they would have any instock.

Last edited:
Yeah, they are out of stock at most retailers. I have the AAC/SD that I use for LR target shooting but the 20" barrel would also make it ideal for hunting IMO. I used to hunt with a Ruger .308 Frontier Scout that had a 16.5" barrel and it would hit anything out to 300 yards.

I found a few versions of the 20" barrel on Gunbroker.com. Here are a few links..(keep in mind the rifle would have to be shipped to a FFL holder in your area who will charge you a small fee to handle the transaction. Good luck... Your soon-to-be is a lucky man!

Remington 700 SPS Tactical AAC .308 WIN NIB : Bolt Action Rifles at GunBroker.com

Remington 700 Tactical 308 - No shipping, no fees : Bolt Action Rifles at GunBroker.com

Thank you very much, I'll definitely check it out! Did you find the AAC/SD was too heavy for hunting? No where that he hunts is a far walk so the weight isn't too much of an issue but I just want to be sure it wouldn't affect his hunting.

Thank you very much, I'll definitely check it out! Did you find the AAC/SD was too heavy for hunting? No where that he hunts is a far walk so the weight isn't too much of an issue but I just want to be sure it wouldn't affect his hunting.

I don't think so..even with my bipod attached (which I wouldn't necessarily have in a tree stand), the weight is manageable. I shoot it off-hand (standing) during target practice with no problems. I would say that if he has to hold it out there for a few minutes waiting for a Buck to turn broadside or step out of the bushes, he might get a tad shaky. But, I know I would forget all about rubbery forearms/shoulders once I started field dressing Bullwinkle...

I don't think so..even with my bipod attached (which I wouldn't necessarily have in a tree stand), the weight is manageable. I shoot it off-hand (standing) during target practice with no problems. I would say that if he has to hold it out there for a few minutes waiting for a Buck to turn broadside or step out of the bushes, he might get a tad shaky. But, I know I would forget all about rubbery forearms/shoulders once I started field dressing Bullwinkle...

Hahaha good point! A little arm pain is worth it if ya get a nice deer ;)

One gun I've found during my internet searches that I'd like to get something similar to is this one:

Remington 700 AAC-SD Picture Thread - Page 6 - AR15.COM

All of the models that I've come across have the suppressor on the end - do I need to have it on there? I kind of like it better without it

One gun I've found during my internet searches that I'd like to get something similar to is this one:

All of the models that I've come across have the suppressor on the end - do I need to have it on there? I kind of like it better without it

Most of those are muzzle brakes and not suppressors. It is not legal to purchase a suppressor without going through the proper legal channels including filling out an application and waiting for a background check. A muzzle brake is legal and the only thing it does is reduce recoil by directing the gases normally expelled out the front of the barrel to the sides. This obviously makes the gun louder to people standing to your sides and you probably wouldn't ever want to shoot it without ear protection, so it's not that practical for hunting. Sounds like you need to find a Remington 700 BDL or CDL if your primary use will be hunting and secondary will be target shooting. Take a look at some Savage models as well, they make a good factory rifle...

Just an observation, but your posts sound an awful lot like what an investigative reporter for a liberal news outlet would ask. 2NDAMENDMENT, if that is the case, you won't find any dirt on this site, but you are free to waste your time if you wish. If that's not the case, then good luck.

The pics with the suppressor on the end are for info purposes only..to let you know you can attach a suppressor or muzzle brake since the barrel is threaded. Like the other member stated, owning a suppressor is a whole 'nother thread..

Most of those are muzzle brakes and not suppressors. It is not legal to purchase a suppressor without going through the proper legal channels including filling out an application and waiting for a background check. A muzzle brake is legal and the only thing it does is reduce recoil by directing the gases normally expelled out the front of the barrel to the sides. This obviously makes the gun louder to people standing to your sides and you probably wouldn't ever want to shoot it without ear protection, so it's not that practical for hunting. Sounds like you need to find a Remington 700 BDL or CDL if your primary use will be hunting and secondary will be target shooting. Take a look at some Savage models as well, they make a good factory rifle...

Just an observation, but your posts sound an awful lot like what an investigative reporter for a liberal news outlet would ask. 2NDAMENDMENT, if that is the case, you won't find any dirt on this site, but you are free to waste your time if you wish. If that's not the case, then good luck.

I'm sorry if I sound like a reporter but I'm really not - just a woman trying to buy my fiance something nice as a gift. I'm also a member of New Jersey Hunter and ar15.com, but I like to get different opinions to help give me a better understanding of the rifles since all I've ever purchased before are shotguns.

And my comment about the suppressors was in reference to if you look at the AAC/SD on the Remington website itself - just wasn't sure if you had to keep it on or if you could take it off.

Here is the link to what I was looking at:
Centerfire Rifle - Model 700 SPS Tactical AAC-SD - Remington Centerfire Rifles

Sorry if you think I'm here trying to find dirt. I just am asking for help to make a good purchase.

I'm sorry if I sound like a reporter but I'm really not - just a woman trying to buy my fiance something nice as a gift. I'm also a member of New Jersey Hunter and ar15.com, but I like to get different opinions to help give me a better understanding of the rifles since all I've ever purchased before are shotguns.

And my comment about the suppressors was in reference to if you look at the AAC/SD on the Remington website itself - just wasn't sure if you had to keep it on or if you could take it off.

Sorry if you think I'm here trying to find dirt. I just am asking for help to make a good purchase.

The suppressor wont come with the rifle. Its just showing that you could put one on cause the barrel is threaded.

The pics with the suppressor on the end are for info purposes only..to let you know you can attach a suppressor or muzzle brake since the barrel is threaded. Like the other member stated, owning a suppressor is a whole 'nother thread..

Thank you so much! That's what I wanted to know because I didn't want a suppressor on it. Thanks again for your help :)

The AAC-SD is threaded for a suppressor (or a break) if so desired, but as shipped they come with a thread protector collar. To get a suppressor (if you can even own one in your state) takes a lot of time, paperwork, and money. The break option is just a matter of buying a good one with the right caliber/threads and screwing it on. I wouldn't use one on a hunting gun and even though my gun is threaded and is used way more for shooting I don't run one, mainly because it increases the amount of noise (to me).

You have to forgive the reporter comment, we get a lot of trolls on this forum that are constantly stirring shit and we get a tad touchy at times.

No worries, and yes as the others pointed out that is only indicating that the barrel is threaded to accept a suppressor... Good luck with the purchase feel free to ask any more questions you may have...

I'm having a hard time finding where I can buy them (new). I live in NJ but can get to Cabelas and Gander Mountain - I've looked on their websites but I'm having a hard time finding these specific models
I take it he will be hunting in Pennsylvania. Cause there is no hunting in NJ with centerfire rifles. Just don't want you to get ahead of yourself. With that being said. Go to any local gun shop. They can order it for you through their distributors. I purchased my rifle online (it was cheaper for me this way even with the transfer fee, as you know mist things in NJ are overpriced) and had it transferred to a ffl dealer close to me. Transfer fee was like $20 + $15 nicu check at a reasonable shop. A lot of places will rip you off for a transfer fee.

If he is hunting in the woods or sitting in a tree stand the AAC-sd 16.5" or even 20" barrel would make a nice hunting stick. THE short barrel will make it easier to maneuver without getting snagged up by brush, tree branches and such. Most shots will fall within a 100 yards. And you will have more than enough velocity with those short barrels. Depending on what range you go to max of 200 or 300 yards, the rifle is capable of handling.

Another important thing is NO suppresors in NJ ever. Even if you went through the proper ways of obtaining one, it will not be allowed in NJ ever!!!

Edit: possible reason for not seeing them online is remington has a recall going on with their x mark pro triggers so some online places are most likely shipping them back to remington and who knows how long it will take for them to get back. Most here in the site are of the tactical shooter application so they are modifying parts of the gun so the trigger issue isn't a big deal to them.

One last thing, your man seems to have found himself a keeper. Enjoy and congrats

Last edited:
The AAC-SD is threaded for a suppressor (or a break) if so desired, but as shipped they come with a thread protector collar. To get a suppressor (if you can even own one in your state) takes a lot of time, paperwork, and money. The break option is just a matter of buying a good one with the right caliber/threads and screwing it on. I wouldn't use one on a hunting gun and even though my gun is threaded and is used way more for shooting I don't run one, mainly because it increases the amount of noise (to me).

You have to forgive the reporter comment, we get a lot of trolls on this forum that are constantly stirring shit and we get a tad touchy at times.

Totally understand - I'm sure you get a lot of people like that on here. I'm just an accountant haha

Yeah I probably wouldn't use a break or anything but just wanted to be sure I could use it without one. You answered my question perfectly, thanks!

An issue you will run into right now trying to find a Remington 700 is that they are all being sent in for the recall, and with the huge amount being sent back it will more than likely be some time before any appear back on the shelves. Your best bet if you are really set on one would be to look at secondary market places like Gunbroker.com or Armslist.com. Unless you are really set on the Remington, I would also look into the Savage line.

Yes we have a cabin in Pennsylvania where we do most of our hunting. We have a couple treestands in NJ near us but most of our time and effort is spent in PA. I will definitely look into some gun shops. I usually go to Sportsman's Center down in Bordentown Township so I will probably try there.

Hmm maybe the recall does have something to do with that. I'll call around and do some asking :)

And thank you very much!

An issue you will run into right now trying to find a Remington 700 is that they are all being sent in for the recall, and with the huge amount being sent back it will more than likely be some time before any appear back on the shelves. You're best bet if you are really set on one would be to look at secondary market places like Gunbroker.com or Armslist.com. Unless you are really set on the Remington, I would also look into the Savage line.

Thanks I will check out those websites. Luckily I don't need it until October but was hoping to buy one soon. I'll probably wait until the summertime and see if I have any better luck.

Thanks I will check out those websites. Luckily I don't need it until October but was hoping to buy one soon. I'll probably wait until the summertime and see if I have any better luck.

Gunbroker will likely get you what you are looking for, you will have to ship to an FFL which will add some fees, etc, but as the others indicated it might be your best bet at getting a Remington 700 which is a good standard for a hunting rifle and also of such quality that many custom builds use it as their platform as well. The trigger issue is easily resolved by buying a Timney, which is something many end up investing in anyway. A Timney trigger is an aftermarket trigger that is fully adjustable, safe, and of much higher quality than the factory trigger and costs about $140 or less. A Remington 700 BDL in .308, .30-06, 7mm Mag, .270, 7mm-08 or any other similar caliber with a Timney Trigger would make for an excellent hunting and recreational rifle and will be one he will be proud to own. In general anything over 9 pounds is on the heavy side for the type of hunting you are talking about. For a scope I would look into Vortex' Viper series which run about $3-$400 for the ideal model he'd use, or a Leupold VX series, they are both light, compact and functionally sound optics at a reasonable price.

Gunbroker will likely get you what you are looking for, you will have to ship to an FFL which will add some fees, etc, but as the others indicated it might be your best bet at getting a Remington 700 which is a good standard for a hunting rifle and also of such quality that many custom builds use it as their platform as well. The trigger issue is easily resolved by buying a Timney, which is something many end up investing in anyway. A Timney trigger is an aftermarket trigger that is fully adjustable, safe, and of much higher quality than the factory trigger and costs about $140 or less. A Remington 700 BDL in .308, .30-06, 7mm Mag, .270, 7mm-08 or any other similar caliber with a Timney Trigger would make for an excellent hunting and recreational rifle and will be one he will be proud to own. In general anything over 9 pounds is on the heavy side for the type of hunting you are talking about. For a scope I would look into Vortex' Viper series which run about $3-$400 for the ideal model he'd use, or a Leupold VX series, they are both light, compact and functionally sound optics at a reasonable price.

Thanks so much! I've seen a lot of people replace the stock trigger with the Timney one - is that something I can do myself or would a gun broker be able to do that for me?

Thanks so much! I've seen a lot of people replace the stock trigger with the Timney one - is that something I can do myself or would a gun broker be able to do that for me?

gunbroker.com is just a website where you can buy guns and parts/ammo from others. The Timney swap is pretty easy but if you have never worked on a rifle before you may want to have someone who has do it for you. There are youtube videos showing the process, it's very simple.

gunbroker.com is just a website where you can buy guns and parts/ammo from others. The Timney swap is pretty easy but if you have never worked on a rifle before you may want to have someone who has do it for you. There are youtube videos showing the process, it's very simple.

Oh okay, I'll probably just bring it somewhere to have it done haha. Thanks!

I'd like to add, you are an awesome and dedicated soon to be wife. For hunting, all I would suggest is to go with a shorter barrel(i.e. 20inch) and perhaps a smaller contoured barrel.

Leave all the tuning and modifications for him as that can be more "personal preference". Im sure he'll love any rifle you get him.

I'd like to add, you are an awesome and dedicated soon to be wife. For hunting, all I would suggest is to go with a shorter barrel(i.e. 20inch) and perhaps a smaller contoured barrel.

Leave all the tuning and modifications for him as that can be more "personal preference". Im sure he'll love any rifle you get him.

Thanks so much! :) I'm sure that would probably be the best idea!

Although I'm a strong Remington fan, have shot 'em for years for hunting and matches, I'm going to muddy the waters here a bit and suggest you also look at Savage rifles. You might want to get to your fiancee sooner than October, so he'll have time to get used to it before opening day.
And yes, look at the Vortex scopes. Great bang for the buck. I'm putting this: Vortex Optics - Viper 3.5-10x50 Dead-Hold BDC on my wife's .308.
I've hunted with muzzle brakes (not breaks) and the above posters are right: They are LOUD!!!! and will cause hearing damage if the shooter is not wearing earpro. Speaking of which, get him some good electronic ones. He can wear them in the stand and they will help him hear deer approaching, and protect his hearing when he shoots. For a good set at a good price, check out the Howard Leight brand.

1911fan

1911fan

Although I'm a strong Remington fan, have shot 'em for years for hunting and matches, I'm going to muddy the waters here a bit and suggest you also look at Savage rifles. You might want to get to your fiancee sooner than October, so he'll have time to get used to it before opening day.
And yes, look at the Vortex scopes. Great bang for the buck. I'm putting this: Vortex Optics - Viper 3.5-10x50 Dead-Hold BDC on my wife's .308.
I've hunted with muzzle brakes (not breaks) and the above posters are right: They are LOUD!!!! and will cause hearing damage if the shooter is not wearing earpro. Speaking of which, get him some good electronic ones. He can wear them in the stand and they will help him hear deer approaching, and protect his hearing when he shoots. For a good set at a good price, check out the Howard Leight brand.

1911fan

1911fan

Thanks for your input! I'll take a look at everything you mentioned

Order the rem 700 aac on evansbrosguns he is gun dealer and gun range in Huntington Texas I shoot there nearly every weekend he has one now

You can check out the Howa 20" 308 also.
They make them as a "ranch hand" with a standard sporter barrel or a heavy, varmint weight barrel.
If he wants to do any target shooting, the heavy barrel would be the way to go.

They are available online from budsgunshop and can be sent to your local gunshop for transfer.
Another very attractive offering is the Savage Hog Hunter, runs about 455 dollars, also on buds.

As for a 5R, you should contact Mile High Shooting Accessories. They are a supporter here, set me up with my 5R, scope, AIAX chassis and some other things last year...truly good guys.

That said, if your husband is primarily a hunter, you may want to get him an SPS stainless with spotter weight barrel. I had one that was as accurate as my SPS Varmint but much lighter because it had a slim 22" barrel instead of a bull 26" barrel. Much more user-friendly for the stalker. I use Harris bipods on my rifles. At their price points, they are the best value IMHO. As to scope, I use second focal plan Zeiss Conquests and Leupold VX3s on my hunting rifles, a NightForce 3.5-15x56 on my 5R and a Vortex Viper PST on my SPS Varmint. These latter two are my precision rifles for longer distance target and silhouette work.

Importantly, I am in the process of changing my Rem X-Mark Pro triggers to Timneys. Ordering direct from Timney will allow him to specify his preferred pull weight. I use 2.5# for precision rifles, 3.5# for hunting rifles. The current recall of Rem 700s is interfering with supply so you may run into that.

Good luck.

FH