• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington 700 5.7x28 conversion

big_r101

Private
Minuteman
Nov 25, 2010
colorado
alright, so im considering doing this conversion at somepoint in the future with the ptg bolt and all that from midway and was wondering what chambering i should buy the rifle in before the conversion, i was thinking .223 would be the right size but im not sure, any help would be great.

Re: Remington 700 5.7x28 conversion

I've thought that would be a good way to practice on the cheap. I've no idea how you would make magazines work or get it to feed right with such a small round in a big receiver. I'd be interested to see what you come up with.

there has to be someway it will work, i mean they sell the bolt and barrel at midway for converting your 700 to 5.7x28, i just want to know what reciever would work the best, so far it seems like the .223, i was also considering a detachable box magazine kit.

Sounds like an interesting project, but to play "Devil's Advocate", the amount of money you're going to spend on getting this is work like it's suppose to (repeater versus single-shot), will buy a lot of .223Rem reloading components.....

there was one guy on another forum who did this conversion, but his was a single shot, but what he wanted to do was use a fn magazine i believe for the rifle, but i wasnt able to find out anything else on it.

Savage has scrapped the idea of 5.7x28 in a bolt gun
They could not get that caliber to shoot with any degree of accuracy

yea, i read that somewhere, but the forum i read about the single shot remington 5.7 was fairly accurate

I've seen a project similar to this on Moon's bench. It was utilizing a CZ receiver for their 22 Hornet. It looked cool and I would imagine accurate( knowing Moon's work;) ), but as stated before, buy the SPS tactical in .223 and leave it alone/ rock on.
Good luck on finding what you're after.

Interesting conversion.... Maybe consider a factory 221 Rem Fireball?