• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Remington 700 ejector stuck in bolt. *GOT IT!!*

sheldon

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2004
La Puente, Ca.
Had a round that was too hot and got blown primer and the brass flowed into the ejector. Case came out fine but would not eject out of the chamber. I'm guessing some brass shaving must be holding the ejector in somehow. What is the best way to free it up again? I can push it in just enough to feel some movement, but not much (maybe 1/64"). How much deeper than flush does the ejector normally move? I'm guessing not much.

Re: Remington 700 ejector stuck flush in bolt.

2nd on the over night with kroil. Then try working the ejector
with a punch.

Tried kroil and that didn't seem to help. Have moved on to Hoppes copper cleaner and will give that a few days. I have been plunging it in and out (as little as it moves) with a punch, but still stuck in so far. I suppose sooner or later the piece will weaken from the copper cleaner and pop back out. I will continue shooting the rifle and see if that jogs it out with the recoil.

Success!!! Came home this morning thinking I should add some shock force to the bolt to encourage some additional movement on that stuck ejector. I have been soaking it with the copper remover too. I have been using a small phillips screwdriver to plunge it in and out but the movement was very minimal. I thought, what do I have that can put a sharp blow to the bolt without marring it? A kinetic bullet puller!! I smacked the sh*t out of the face of the bolt a bunch of times and when I went to use the screwdriver to push on the ejector, I could feel it stick a little before plunging in the small amount, so I knew the force being applied by the kinetic bullet puller on the face of the bolt was working. I did this a few more times and finally was able to see a thin sliver of brass along the edge of the plunger opening. I was then able to use the screwdriver to push the ejector all the way in and at the same time run the screwdriver along the edge of the plunger hole and POP it shot out. I flushed it with more kroil and worked the plunger in and out a bunch of times and it feels really smooth again. Thanks for the suggestions.

Now you need to take the plunger out and clean the hole so the brass particles don't migrate up and stick up the works again. Don't ask me how I know, I heard about it....

Shooting my 6.5 Creedmoor the other day this "problem" happened to me. Several times the casing wouldn't eject, so I worked the plunger back and forth clearing the little brass shaving and continued to shoot. Then I fired a second round after it got stuck because I only had one cartridge left, and was too lazy to work the plunger again. Couldn't move it at all after that.

Bottom line was a 24 hour soak in copper remover solvent (Montana Extreme) and working the plunger did the trick. Removed the ejector by cutting off a case head to fit the bolt face and a handy clamp for compression. There was additional micro shavings in the ejector bore.