• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington 700 load development with SMK 168 and 175 grain bullets...seating depth...

boisepaw

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 20, 2020
Queenstown, MD
So a follow up to my earlier question about factory FGMM ammo for the 308. My stock Remington 700 Varminter really seems to like the SMK bullets...both the 168 and the 175. I have a load for each that looks like it will group 10 shots sub-MOA with a SD of under 10. Is it worth my time pursuing even greater accuracy by experimenting with seating depth or is the Remington 700 so forgiving in terms of tolerance for a significant jump to the lands that I won't get much more accuracy by trying a number of different seating depths?

So a follow up to my earlier question about factory FGMM ammo for the 308. My stock Remington 700 Varminter really seems to like the SMK bullets...both the 168 and the 175. I have a load for each that looks like it will group 10 shots sub-MOA with a SD of under 10. Is it worth my time pursuing even greater accuracy by experimenting with seating depth or is the Remington 700 so forgiving in terms of tolerance for a significant jump to the lands that I won't get much more accuracy by trying a number of different seating depths?

What are your ES's?

What are your ES's?

Under 20 For both loads.

i seem to have found “accurate” for both loads. The question I have is whether or not I will find “significantly more accurate” for the 168 & 175 grain SMK in my Remington 700 by fiddling with the seating depth.

Under 20 For both loads.

i seem to have found “accurate” for both loads. The question I have is whether or not I will find “significantly more accurate” for the 168 & 175 grain SMK in my Remington 700 by fiddling with the seating depth.

While you can probably make some improvement, I wouldn't say it'd be "significant". IMHO

I run 2.212” COL, nominally 2.800” COAL. I have run 2.222 at times.by mistake with no big effect, if any. I originally ran with 2.820” COL with similar accuracy. I did some tuning on that and did see some minor changes in group size around that length but nothing significant. I also tried 2.795” COL. Not

The original SMK’s tolerates large jumps. My SPS Tactical is about a .5 MOA rifle. Some days better some worse. I probably should blame the rifle!

You seem to have a good load so take that load and move your COL +/- .005", for three rounds each and shoot them. Experience is the best teacher. Just don't go wild chasing a better seating depth, you probably won't find one.

I run 2.212” COL, nominally 2.800” COAL. I have run 2.222 at times.by mistake with no big effect, if any. I originally ran with 2.820” COL with similar accuracy. I did some tuning on that and did see some minor changes in group size around that length but nothing significant. I also tried 2.795” COL. Not

The original SMK’s tolerates large jumps. My SPS Tactical is about a .5 MOA rifle. Some days better some worse. I probably should blame the rifle!

You seem to have a good load so take that load and move your COL +/- .005", for three rounds each and shoot them. Experience is the best teacher. Just don't go wild chasing a better seating depth, you probably won't find one.

The "just don't go wild in chasing..." that's what I have a problem with. This was my first bolt gun about 5 years ago which then started me reloading and over the next two years I easily loaded 2000 rounds...experimenting with different bullets and powders (I tried desperately for several months to make BL-C(2) work)...to try to find the perfect load. It never happened. I could never match the accuracy I got from the factory Remington Premier round that used the 168 gr. SMK bullet. But I was having SO much fun reloading and measuring and recording info that I just kept doing it.

Then a couple of weeks ago I pulled the rifle out...having not reloaded for it in 3 years...and started all over using Scott Satterlee's load development method and within 100 rounds total...using the two different bullets...I found three different loads that make me quite happy.

But my OCD nature makes me want to find a load that will make me even happier... :)

I have never seen a stock rem700 in 308 that didn't shoot great with this load
175smk
win brass
cci 200 primer
45.0 rl15

I think I run 2.212” COL, nominally 2.800” COAL. I originally ran with 2.820” COL with similar accuracy. I did some tuning on that and did see some minor changes in group size around that length but nothing significant. I also tried 2.795” COL.

The original SMK’s tolerates large jumps well.