• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington 700 Long Range bullet Choice

siege36

Private
Minuteman
Oct 8, 2014
Kuna, ID
Hello everyone, i am a new member so wanted to say Hi first. Been reading a lot of post from this sight, just never joined til now. lol

My question is if anyone has experience with .30 caliber 210 gr nosler accubond long range bullets, and even more specifically out of the 30-06 Remington 700 Long Range.

I have yet to find the rifle in the LGS yet, but I will be getting one as soon as they come in. Probably topped with the viper something (not exactly sure yet). And I will be installing a timmney trigger.

I am not a long range shooter as of yet, However I have started reading and learning from local experts at the range. I will be working up to 700 yards to start (as that is the ranges furthest isle)

I currently shoot 165 gr accubonds behind 50 gr of IMR 4350 with decent results (only decent due to lack of my own experience) upto 300 yards. These 210 ABLR's look very interesting, but they are double the cost, so I guess from a hunting stand point, are they worth the extra money? When I get good enough to take shoots out further I would like the bullet to perform well up close say 100 yards to 600 yards? Is that realistic expectations from a 30-06? On paper it appears I should still get around 1650 ft/lbs of energy at that range.

I have read a lot on paper now looking for any real experiences. The guys at the range are awesome, just none of them shoot nosler, lol

this gun will be mainly used for hunting, with the added learning long range shooting in the process. If there is anything you would add subtract from this whole Idea feel free to chime in.

I can only help you on the scope. You're thinking of a Vortex (brand) Viper (series) of scopes. Vortex is a great company and they make great products. Depending on your budget i'd recommend the viper hs-t or hs. At the very least, make sure you get a scope with matching reticle and turrets (MOA subtended reticle and MOA turret adjustments, or Mil-Mil)

If you are only shooting out to 300-600 yards I would go to the 210 or anything extravagant, no need to. I would go with a 178 AMAX or a Nosler 190 match. I use the Nosler 190 match because they are cheap. I picked up 1k of them for $230 and they will shoot great out to about 1200 yards depending on fast you push them. There are better bullets but for the close distances you are talking about you won't be able to take advantage of the high BC's. The accubonds are hunting bullets with higher than norm BC but like I said it would be a waist to use them at the distances you are talking about. BTW H4350 is a great powder for the '06 and it is what I use.

much cheaper bullets available to learn on. I shoot a 300wm and use a lot of 208 amax and bthp. 178 amax or bthp is also a good choice that I use in my 308. sierras shoot nice too, look at the 200gr spritzer about $36 per 100. Don't get too caught up on which bullet will work better than that bullet as you will read how just about every bullet available today somebody has a story on here on how its the best.

Thanks good to know I don't have to drop the $62 or so on the NABLR for 50 of them. lol. So with 700 yard being max for quit some time, Would the 165-180 gr range be sufficient? I only ask that because the nosler 190's I can find are only the custom competition and they are not what im looking for in a hunting bullet. Maybe I'm trying to hard to combine long range shooting and hunting all wrapped into one. lol

I have hunted with a variety of bullets and from personal experience, nosler perform the most consistent, that is why I would like to stick with them. I have seen what AMAX does and they just are not my cup of tea.

I would love to try h4350 as I've heard and seen where it performs better in a wider range of temperatures, and for hunting her in Idaho in NOV that could come in real handy. lol

At what distances does the higher BC like .730 really come into play and help out?

Hope that explained enough, and thanks again for the reply, pretty awesome group.

AMAX is good but it will destroy a lot of meat. You can get some good 165's or 180's for a decent price but I guess I didn't see that you were planning on taking shots on game out that far. I hope you know what you are doing and are a good shot. Not trying to preach or be a dick but I would make damn sure you are able to hit an animal in the vitals that far, it wouldn't be right to let the critter suffer.

GhostFace

No worries on the preaching. To ease any doubt, I have only takin shots of a known yardage out to 300. I in no way shape or form plan on picking up this gun a trying a shot on an animal past 200-250 until I have the proper training and time spent behind the gun. I have let monster bucks go probably out to 400 yards because I was unsure I could make a humane kill and could not get close enough. I have been with family who takes "crack shots" at animals and I end up having to chase them 3 or 4 ridges over. Was not fun and I will not do that to an animal. If I don't know for certain of a doubt I will not take the shot regardless of the trophy behind it.

Yes that is why I will not use the AMAX for hunting. I do not like the eplsoive effect it gives off. I prefer much more of a controlled expansion bullet that retains around 75% of its original weight.

GhostFace

No worries on the preaching. To ease any doubt, I have only takin shots of a known yardage out to 300. I in no way shape or form plan on picking up this gun a trying a shot on an animal past 200-250 until I have the proper training and time spent behind the gun. I have let monster bucks go probably out to 400 yards because I was unsure I could make a humane kill and could not get close enough. I have been with family who takes "crack shots" at animals and I end up having to chase them 3 or 4 ridges over. Was not fun and I will not do that to an animal. If I don't know for certain of a doubt I will not take the shot regardless of the trophy behind it.

Yes that is why I will not use the AMAX for hunting. I do not like the eplsoive effect it gives off. I prefer much more of a controlled expansion bullet that retains around 75% of its original weight.

Ive tested the 200gr sierra spitzer out of my 300wm out to 1k. Just for giggles I threw some in the same powder charged case that I use for the 208 amax, I use the shooter software and it gave me a (I think) come up of 2moa more than the amax and I hit the 1k plate first hit. I only loaded them for testing purposes as I was curious what they would do at distance. Ive tested the hornady boat tail soft points out to 600 yds out of my 308 again curious what they did in comparison to the target bullets and was astounded at the accuracy. This was a while ago and didn't really document all the data correctly to post pics of it but you get the idea.

I would use out to 400 yds any btsp bullet made by hornady or sierra. I would probably stick around 150-180 for deer n such game. Heavies for larger thicker skinned game. you can get the hornadys for about 26$ a box of 100. Im not a fan of the tipped bullets as they seem to initiate expansion rapidly if they are going to fast. the soft point are old school and just do what they are supposed to do expand, mushroom at a more controlled rate and are more forgiving. That's my conclusion to my research. Im sure someone has other opinions.

Take a look at the Berger hunting bullets. I've had good luck with them on deer out to ~500 yards, 190's out of a 300WM.

178 Amax have been treating me pretty well and I've just started playing with Berger's 185gr. Juggernaut. It's showing potential, but I'm still working on it.

The best hunting bullet for out to 700 yards would be one you can put where you want it every time. From 165 to 180 would be my choice for a .30-06.

I have had good results from Sierra Match Kings, Berger VLDs, and am trying Nosler AB LRs for my daughter's upcoming elk hunt.

Not 30 cal, but I shot some of the 7mm 175gr LRAB's out my 7STW. VERY accurate, 1/2 moa at 200 yards. After reading about some issues for up close shots and bullet performace, I decided to go back to my tried and true bullets since most of my shots will be under 300 yards.

Inside of 500 yards the lighter lower bc's bullets will shoot flatter than the expensive heavy high bc bullets. I run a 308 and shoot the regular 180 grain accubond. It's got a decent .5 g1 bc and is a hunting bullet and has always done great on game. If u get a 308, blackhills makes loaded ammo in 180 grain accubond, the head stamp even says match, and they shoot 1/3rd moa out of my gun and cost about 1.60 per. For short range killing power my goto bullet is the 180 grain nosler partition, it's not a long range bullet but it hammers big game inside 300 yards. Whichever caliber you get I would be looking for 165 to 190 grain bullets for your stated goals. The amax is also a great target/hunting bullet and is very cost effective....berger bullets are great but you get what you pay for meaning they arn't cheap and can be hard to find at times. If I were u I would leave the 180+ grain bullets alone until you plan to shoot past 5-600 yards.

Inside of 500 yards the lighter lower bc's bullets will shoot flatter than the expensive heavy high bc bullets. I run a 308 and shoot the regular 180 grain accubond. It's got a decent .5 g1 bc and is a hunting bullet and has always done great on game. If u get a 308, blackhills makes loaded ammo in 180 grain accubond, the head stamp even says match, and they shoot 1/3rd moa out of my gun and cost about 1.60 per. For short range killing power my goto bullet is the 180 grain nosler partition, it's not a long range bullet but it hammers big game inside 300 yards. Whichever caliber you get I would be looking for 165 to 190 grain bullets for your stated goals. The amax is also a great target/hunting bullet and is very cost effective....berger bullets are great but you get what you pay for meaning they arn't cheap and can be hard to find at times. If I were u I would leave the 180+ grain bullets alone until you plan to shoot past 5-600 yards.