• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington 700 pistol

TXBRASS

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 23, 2009
Shiner, TEXAS
Brownells is again offering from the factory bare 700 actions. Can these legally be uses to build a 700 pistol like the XP100 or do they have to be made into rifles?

Replied to other post. Sorry. But as long as they are undesignated then yes. You would have to call Brownell's to find out for sure

I called brownells and they said that they are just listed as bare receivers and that is how they are shipped. Brownells said it is up to the FFL to mark them as either a pistol or rifle at the time of transfer. Does this make sense?

I'd call ATF, but I would say if you look at Remington's website bare actions are probably listed as Model 700 rifle actions.

Those are undesignated so you would be fine building a pistol on one. The ffl will designate it as a pistol upon transfer.

That's because they don't sell or even make model 700 pistols.

There is your answer right there..."They don't sell or even make model 700 pistols" meaning if you were to ever be checked any LEO that knows guns will think it is a chopped down 700 rifle.

There is your answer right there..."They don't sell or even make model 700 pistols" meaning if you were to ever be checked any LEO that knows guns will think it is a chopped down 700 rifle.
That is incorrect. This topic has had the shit beat out of it on specialty pistols. Go have a look see.

That is incorrect. This topic has had the shit beat out of it on specialty pistols. Go have a look see.

If it has then I stand corrected. I still don't see how a dealer can designate a 700 action as a pistol. I get it with a T/C frame, that is all together different. Assuming that Brownells can ship that action to areas where handgun ownership is very strict, makes me think more rifle.

But, I don't pay attention much to handgun threads so if this has all been hashed out then cool. I would STILL call ATF if for nothing more than peace of mind.

If it has then I stand corrected. I still don't see how a dealer can designate a 700 action as a pistol. I get it with a T/C frame, that is all together different. Assuming that Brownells can ship that action to areas where handgun ownership is very strict, makes me think more rifle.

But, I don't pay attention much to handgun threads so if this has all been hashed out then cool. I would STILL call ATF if for nothing more than peace of mind.
It's all good bro. Being the owner of Remington and savage based pistols, I am pretty positive I have done it legally. Better safe than sorry though if you or anyone else has doubts.

Last I knew, the XP100 was made a pistol first, later into the 600 for rifles. A pistol action upon originated design can be made into a rifle.

NOT the reverse last I recall the BATF - Call to avoid the potential for any problems, which can be extensive. I do recall a few Sako PPC pistols made from AI/AII actions ironically, not sure on the legalities, or how the actions were originally designated. In Finland I might add....

Last edited:
Asking out of pure ignorance and curiosity, what is the purpose for owning a 700 pistol? I don't see the point, but I'm probably missing something ?

Asking out of pure ignorance and curiosity, what is the purpose for owning a 700 pistol? I don't see the point, but I'm probably missing something

I wondered the same thing until a guy showed up at the local 1000yd shoots with a savage pistol in 7 SAUM. He never placed but had 15-20" groups at 1000 off of a bipod. I would wager he is more than lethal on deer/hogs out to 500yds plus he always seemed to have a blast!

Like I tell my wife, "I could be spending the money on booze and strippers".....

Love 700's and bolt guns and have a blast shooting and hunting close range with auto pistols. Figured I'd just mix the two....

Like I tell my wife, "I could be spending the money on booze and strippers".....

Love 700's and bolt guns and have a blast shooting and hunting close range with auto pistols. Figured I'd just mix the two....
Have you considered a savage striker? They are left bolt right port short actions. Easy to swap barrels. Good after market triggers. Good selection of stocks. Either center grip or rear grip configuration.

I have thought about it, but bleed Remington and if I can work that then I'd rather go that way. Looking at the Remington XP-100R now.

Get one of those pistols and put it in a chassis with a sig arm brace and have you a sbr-ish pistol :D

Asking out of pure ignorance and curiosity, what is the purpose for owning a 700 pistol? I don't see the point, but I'm probably missing something [emoji23]

In missouri you can use pistols during muzzle loader deer season. Not a muzzle loader guy so I use a pistol. I use a 460 but would love to build a .243 pistols for longer shots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

During FFL transfer it should/can be marked "OTHER" just like any other receiver.
According to the latest ruling you can assemble it any way you wish and re-assemble as well, as long as you don't make an SBR without proper paperwork.
However, if it is marked as "rifle" during transfer - that's it.
https://www.atf.gov/files/regulations-rulings/rulings/atf-rulings/atf-ruling-2011-4.pdf

That's what I was thinking, at least the last ruling that I'd heard of. Haven't checked for a few minutes, it may have changed.