• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Remington 700 Police 338 Lapua rifles

Re: Remington 700 Police 338 Lapua rifles

I understand that, but I would still hold Remington to their guarantee, and I know their going to ask about the ammo.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cjevanoff</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I understand that, but I would still hold Remington to their guarantee. </div></div>

I may do that. I am not necessarily going to sell the rifle. I just may put it aside in favor of going with a rifle from a custom builder, which is what I should have done in the first place.

I'm already 5K into 338 Lapua, what difference would 2K have made?

I'm looking to shoot about 1000yds or so. I was really thinking about the Savage 110ba but Remington guarentees the same accuracy and it's cheaper. I figure if I get good with the Remington maybe I'll graduate to a TRG.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cjevanoff</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm looking to shoot about 1000yds or so. I was really thinking about the Savage 110ba but Remington guarentees the same accuracy and it's cheaper. I figure if I get good with the Remington maybe I'll graduate to a TRG. </div></div>

The TRG is what I originally wanted. Until I realized that you have to buy all SAKO accessories, mounts, etc, and their shit is expensive.

Yeah, the guns $2600 bucks then you have to buy the break and bi-pod. puts you around the $3000+ range.

But after reviewing your post again. I would definatly contact Remington. It sounds like you are having to many issues not to contact them.

There is no accuracy guarantee on these rifles. The only rifles Remington puts an accuracy guarantee on is some of their custom shop guns such as the 40-X models. Those have an accuracy guarantee and they ship those with a test target. The regular line rifles and that's the Police models are, have no such published guarantee. Remington only holds them to an accuracy standard which they don't publish either. 3-4 MOA is probably beyond that standard and it probably is time to contact Remington.

We use the same rifle for testing and proofing, and it shoots 235s, 250s, and 300s all very accurately. Solids, Scenars, and MatchKings all shoot well.

The level of accuracy being produced by your rifle certianly isn't what one would expect from this rifle. You may try working up the charge, as those are pretty mild. The load of 88 grains of Retumbo is one and a half grains lower than what we use, with H-1000, a faster powder.

Also, I have previously worked up loads in a TRG with RL25. I settled on 89 grains for the 300s. This was max for us, but you still have plenty of margin to increase your powder charges.

The heavy sooting of the case necks may be a result of it not fully obturating due to the low pressures and tough Lapua brass.

You may also experience significant accuracy increses as a result of the increased gyroscopic stability imparted by the higher rpms associated with increased velocity. At the lower speeds, it may take longer for it to settle down and be stable.

Good luck. If none of this works, I would call Remington and take them up on their warranty.

This is the responce from Remington after I e-mailed them the other day.

"Because this rifle is part of our police lineup it is guaranteed to be MOA or better. The barrel is made of 4140 tool steel......"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MikeSWammo</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> We use the same rifle for testing and proofing, and it shoots 235s, 250s, and 300s all very accurately. Solids, Scenars, and MatchKings all shoot well.

The level of accuracy being produced by your rifle certianly isn't what one would expect from this rifle. You may try working up the charge, as those are pretty mild. The load of 88 grains of Retumbo is one and a half grains lower than what we use, with H-1000, a faster powder.

Also, I have previously worked up loads in a TRG with RL25. I settled on 89 grains for the 300s. This was max for us, but you still have plenty of margin to increase your powder charges.

The heavy sooting of the case necks may be a result of it not fully obturating due to the low pressures and tough Lapua brass.

You may also experience significant accuracy increses as a result of the increased gyroscopic stability imparted by the higher rpms associated with increased velocity. At the lower speeds, it may take longer for it to settle down and be stable.

Good luck. If none of this works, I would call Remington and take them up on their warranty. </div></div>

Thanks for the post.

I am still going to try my loads that I have made up. I believe I have all the way to 93 grains of retumbo ready to go.

MikeSWammo,what loads did you work up to with the RL25 and the 300 SMK's bullets?

I had worked up to 90 grains of RL25 for the TRG with the 300 SMK. These were loaded to mag length, which I don't recall at this time. I backed down to a good accuracy node at 89 grains.

This was about 6 years ago, and I could find no data for RL25 in the 338 Lapua. Also, I had no pressure testing equipment yet. The closest powder was RL22, and I developed a ratio for using the RL25 data by comparing multiple loads in many manuals of the two powders. I then used this for a starting load and a theoretical max. It actually worked out pretty good.

I ended up using 89 grains of RL25 for the 300s and 95 for the 250s. We now have a good supplier in Hodgdon, and the temperature stability comes in handy out here in the desert. We use nearly the same powder charges with H-1000 as we did with the Alliant RL25.

OK, thanks. I emailed Alliant in regards to RL25 in the 338 Lapua with the 300 SMK's about a week ago. So far, no reply.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mtechgunman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Thanks for the post.

I am still going to try my loads that I have made up. I believe I have all the way to 93 grains of retumbo ready to go.
</div></div>

How far are you jumping the bullets? I've found the 338 bullets want to be .030" or less. I have only been reloading 300gr SMK's but I started my load development at 92 grains of Retumbo and my gun shoots best at 94 grains (sub .5 MOA 3 shot groups). This is a pretty hot load; but I didn't get a 338LM to run at 338 Fed velocities
grin.gif

So far so good. I would contact Remington if your rifle continues shooting like shit. If you read back a bit you can see I had an issue with the chamber in my gun screwing up all of my brass but I had Benchmark Barrels set back the barrel and true the action at the same time and it's been perfect ever since. However, it was shooting rather well before all the work (just had to fix the horribly galled chamber so that I wouldn't destroy every piece of brass I put through it).

Good luck.

Bullets engage rifling at 3.717. All loads had been shot at 3.685. I was planning on trying some just under magazine length which is 3.700.

I am convinced that one would be foolish to shoot thousands of dollars worth of ammo/reloads through these barrels. Some may be OK, but with the cost of components, I think it would make sense to get a top shelf barrel on it and not waste time/money.

I know they will shoot MOA or perhaps even 1/2 to 3/4 in some cases, but if you spending the time doing load development, or paying $5 a round, why not just get a top shelf barrel.

The guys spending a bunch of coin on AICS, stocks, etc. Thats not going to make a huge difference. You got a barrel that is the same quality as the walmart package deals.

Just my 2 cents. I still think they were a great value around $1000-$1200.

I was able to recently accquire one of these rifles for around 1100.00 USD. I only had to wait 3 months or so to get it.
I think it is an excellent value at this price point but if I had and extra 700.00 I would have dropped it on an AR30.

I have a couple of questions.

What is a good scoupe mount that I can just screw in?? I have seen a couple inexpensive ones on Brownells website??

What is a good rail mount to replace the 2 studs so I can mout a picatinny bipod???

What is a good forward mount for White/IR light????

I will get some pics up soon becuase I have some questions about the trigger that it came with. It looks like its externally adjustable??

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: robpiat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am convinced that one would be foolish to shoot thousands of dollars worth of ammo/reloads through these barrels. Some may be OK, but with the cost of components, I think it would make sense to get a top shelf barrel on it and not waste time/money.

I know they will shoot MOA or perhaps even 1/2 to 3/4 in some cases, but if you spending the time doing load development, or paying $5 a round, why not just get a top shelf barrel.

The guys spending a bunch of coin on AICS, stocks, etc. Thats not going to make a huge difference. You got a barrel that is the same quality as the walmart package deals.

Just my 2 cents. I still think they were a great value around $1000-$1200. </div></div>

Granted, it won't make it shoot any better, but you'll look cool missin' the target!... and isn't that all that matters?
wink.gif

Ry

A quick call to Remington just now confirmed my rig came witht he 40X trigger. I think I got a pretty sweet little deal.

I ordered a rifle. UGSW Infidel. My MLR is going to hit the market. I've got a guy that is fully aware of the issues and may buy it. If any of you are interested, PM me.

You all here are aware of the issues, if you're not, a short read of the last few pages of this thread will make you aware. I believe I have a blue printing issue. Basically, I decided that instead of trouble shooting this, I'd rather buy a rifle with a 3/8 MOA guarantee because I plan on pushing this caliber to a mile.

Instead of spending my time and resources on troubleshooting, I spent them on a new rifle. My rifle has a badger base and PWS brake installed that will be going with it. Also, I have a large rifle stock pack that may or may not be included.

I sold my 700 MLR for the same reasons, BUT, looking back, I wish I had kept it, rebarreled it, and enjoyed it. Hopes this helps.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mtechgunman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I ordered a rifle. UGSW Infidel. My MLR is going to hit the market. I've got a guy that is fully aware of the issues and may buy it. If any of you are interested, PM me.

You all here are aware of the issues, if you're not, a short read of the last few pages of this thread will make you aware. I believe I have a blue printing issue. Basically, I decided that instead of trouble shooting this, I'd rather buy a rifle with a 3/8 MOA guarantee because I plan on pushing this caliber to a mile.

Instead of spending my time and resources on troubleshooting, I spent them on a new rifle. My rifle has a badger base and PWS brake installed that will be going with it. Also, I have a large rifle stock pack that may or may not be included.

</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mtechgunman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I ordered a rifle. UGSW Infidel. My MLR is going to hit the market. I've got a guy that is fully aware of the issues and may buy it. If any of you are interested, PM me.

</div></div>

Knowledgeable folks told you to push it faster. I agree that the new gun will be better, but its $$$

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: robpiat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Knowledgeable folks told you to push it faster. I agree that the new gun will be better, but its $$$
</div></div>

Yes, you are correct. And I am going to. But in the end, I will get better accuracy out a custom than my MLR. I will still post results of my other loads of Retumbo that are already worked up for this rifle. I'm basically doing what I should have done in the first place, which was to order a custom rifle.

Keeping it is still in the cards. But I will most likely sell it and pick up a better LRF. Swarovski probably.

I have thought about rebarreling it to 300 WM. Might be something to contemplate further.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mtechgunman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have thought about rebarreling it to 300 WM. Might be something to contemplate further.

</div></div>

When I had mine, I was told to rebarrel it im 338 Edge. Faster than Lapua, and cheaper to reload.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cjevanoff</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How much are you asking for the rifle? </div></div>

I don't know. Its difficult to judge value. The badger 20 moa base will go with it. The pws brake will also go. Not sure about the stock pack. Its difficult to say what it is worth.

Ill have to shoot my other loads to see how it does there too.

What I would do before giving up on that rifle or spending $3100 on a custom, would be to send it to GAP or the smith of your choice and have the action trued and a premium barrel installed. Your expectation of .5 MOA or better out of a factory barrel really isn't realistic. While you may get the occasional group that small, and I have, you're not likely to get that level of accuracy consistantly, especially at extended ranges from that factory tube. If you go back through all 17 pages of this thread, you're not going to find many pictures of targets with 5, 5 shot groups in that range. That barrel which is only about 24" with the brake removed, is also handicapping you a little in the velocity department. The 338 Lapua is a large overbore round that needs slow burning powder and a long enough tube to burn it in. If you want to shoot all the way out to a mile, a stock MLR isn't the best tool.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Badshot308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What I would do before giving up on that rifle or spending $3100 on a custom, would be to send it to GAP or the smith of your choice and have the action trued and a premium barrel installed. Your expectation of .5 MOA or better out of a factory barrel really isn't realistic. While you may get the occasional group that small, and I have, you're not likely to get that level of accuracy consistantly, especially at extended ranges from that factory tube. If you go back through all 17 pages of this thread, you're not going to find many pictures of targets with 5, 5 shot groups in that range. That barrel which is only about 24" with the brake removed, is also handicapping you a little in the velocity department. The 338 Lapua is a large overbore round that needs slow burning powder and a long enough tube to burn it in. If you want to shoot all the way out to a mile, a stock MLR isn't the best tool. </div></div>

Right, which is what I was referring to earlier. I'm not sure what I was expecting out of my MLR, but I wanted to get into the lapua. Now that I'm into it, I realized that I should have simply ordered a custom rifle, especially considering what I want to do with the rifle.

So, I could send it off, have a new barrel installed, have a new stock installed (not a big fan of the HS stock) and I could make a shooter out of here. Or, I could order a completely new rifle from the ground up, that will be built on a .750 bolt with a 3/8 MOA guarantee.

Mike started on my build yesterday.

What if I keep it in 338 Lapua and make a big game slayer out of her?

A little smaller contour bbl, brake, MCM or Manners hunting stock. Would make a good Alaska hunting rifle.

That would be a good use for the MLR. You're not going to be hunting at 1760 yards so a more managable length tube would be fine. You'd have a lot of power at a reasonable range. You'd have to get that ejection problem resolved before using it in the field. My MLR does something similar. Occasionaly, it won't eject and leaves the case laying on top of the next round. Sometimes it happens when I cycle the bolt rapidly, and sometimes when I cycle it slowly. It could be a weak ejector spring, or the position of the ejector plunger. Could be the extractor is letting go of the case too soon. Could be certain cases with slightly smaller rim dimensions slipping off the extractor too soon. The case doesn't seem to be hitting anything but the inside edge of the rear receiver bridge. In my case, the MLR is just a range rifle so I haven't looked too deeply into it. If it was a hunting, duty or competition rifle, I'd have to get it resolved.

I shot some more groups that had a little heavier charge behind them. Accuracy was god awful instead of terrible.

Here' s shot of one group (155 yards):

IMG_20110108_123155.jpg

The good news is that the PWS brake worked better than the factory brake, for those of you who are interested.

I shot some reloads out of my 5R. Basic load development stuff. Best groups were sub 1 MOA with seemingly a lot of room left for improvement.

That's a respectable 1000 Yd group

I'd send her back to remington with that target and tell them not to send it back until they provide you with a sub MOA target.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mtechgunman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I shot some more groups that had a little heavier charge behind them. Accuracy was god awful instead of terrible.

Here' s shot of one group (155 yards):

IMG_20110108_123155.jpg

The good news is that the PWS brake worked better than the factory brake, for those of you who are interested.

I shot some reloads out of my 5R. Basic load development stuff. Best groups were sub 1 MOA with seemingly a lot of room left for improvement. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Badshot308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yeah,at this point I think load development with this rifle is a waste of time and money. Have you tried switching scopes out with your 5R just to eliminate a possible faulty optic?</div></div>

I've thought about it. I will probably throw the NF on my 5R just to make sure, but I highly doubt this is the issue. I will update when I do that.

I'm thinking I should probably contact Remington about the rifle. Even if I never shoot another round down the tube in it's current form, this rifle should have never left the factory like it did.

I ordered a TBAC 338P-1 Suppressor, and an adapter to run on my 30 cal's. Should be lots of fun this summer.

This is quite surprising to me - I only have 40 rounds down my 700p but it was sure on the money everytime. Not sub .5 MOA but thats more my fault than the rifles.

So far ive been impressed with it right out of the box!

Sorry to hear your results - good luck with your next build

i gave my dad the money to buy a Remington .338lm
a good dealer friend of ours found us one for $1300 from the Remington depot in PA. our dealer friend said they only had 2 left

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: furtaker_.223</div><div class="ubbcode-body">100 yards? I would for sure send back to remington. Were these with hand loads? </div></div>

155 yards.

Yes they were hand loads.

HOLY CRAP... I just read thru the posts. I agree with the experts... send the target back with the rifle and tell them to fix it.
I bought a new Savage 110 BA and it shot 1-1/2" groups at 200 yds with the first 20 rounds thru it. Dannng. that sucks... I'm tempted to look at optics, scope mount, rail mounting screws, etc. because there's no way a new rifle like that can be that screwed up... is there?

Any rifle that you are wanting better accuracy from should have a visit to a qualified gunsmith to start with.

Don't think that the manufacturer could not screw up the stupidest things!!! I got one from remington

Just look at it this way.If you were standing with a guy that had a gun to your head and the police had this to take the "one shot" with!How would you feel?Send that thing back!That is a disgrace!I would rather the police have a red rider than that thing.If they can`t get better accuracy than that they need to get out of the game and focus on shotguns if they can do that.I have never built a gun in my life but I bet I couuld watch some youtube videos and build one that would shoot better than that.

Just purchased my Remington 700 MLR 338 lapua. I was woundering if you guys had any opinions on scope mounts, scopes and muzzle breaks?

The Badger muzzle brake is good.
Check the crown of the barrel, too.

What about scope bases??
There does not seem to be much available with 8/40 screws.
Leupold only has thier Mark 4 series.
I am having a hard time forking over 150.00 on a damn base.
WTF??

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BLACK LION</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What about scope bases??
There does not seem to be much available with 8/40 screws.
Leupold only has thier Mark 4 series.
I am having a hard time forking over 150.00 on a damn base.
WTF?? </div></div>

Seekins Precision