• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington 700 PSS - "Walker trigger"

bnoland

Private
Minuteman
Oct 22, 2006
Memphis, TN
I got a remingtong 700 PSS last week. I checked with Remington and it was built in 1996 with the walker trigger. I have read articals saying it is an issue and others that say it is not. Some say it is but a certain sequince of event need to take place for any malfuncation to happen. Obvioulsy if you handle your firearm safely there is a low likely hood of it to be an issue, ether way because it should never be pointed and anyone or anything you do not wish to destroy. Is there really an issue with accidental discharges I should be aware of? Is there another trigger I can swap into it to fix my issue if it is even an issue at all?

Re: Remington 700 PSS - "Walker trigger"

Jewell, Jard, Rifle Basix, Shilen, Timney, Huber. All are upgrades in both trigger pull, and safety. Probably your rifle is fine and the trigger has never been molested, but you can get vast improvements for a little over $100. Pretty cheap insurance considering it will be a much better trigger.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There is no issue. It is an excellent trigger. It is in use by the US Marine Corps and US Army all around the world.

However if you want to believe the drama, then there are a large number of replacements. I suggest the Timney 510.

http://8541tactical.com/timney_review.php </div></div>

I watch and read several. The last one I saw was CNBC bacically saying they could find no proof at all that it was ever a trigger problem. They even show the defense expert witness saying he could never get the malfuntion to happen on weapons it has supposedly previously happened on. I will stick with my walker and spend the money else where for the time being. Once I get to the point where a better trigger will help me I will get one.. for now I need to learn to shoot properly.

On a side note I watched a couple of you videos on youtube earlier about bolt manipulation and some others. Great videos. Thanks

I replaced my x mark pro trigger with a "walker" trigger I had laying around.

I did not do the install myself, though I could have. Had it installed and adjusted to 3.5 lbs.

I don't know if there was ever a finer factory trigger put in a rifle.

The walker design is only dangerous if tuned wrong or otherwise damaged. IF the trigger has been adjusted my a monkey, then it's possible for it to drop the sear accidentally. HOWEVER, this could be said about any mechanical device which has been adjusted outside of its safety limits.

I run the old style remmy triggers on all of my bolt guns, for the price (about $45 used on the SH classifieds) there isn't anything that compares IMHO. I tune them myself and test the hell out of them before I call it good. Then I put clear nail polish on the adjustment screws to prevent the adjustments from accidentally being altered. Aftermarket triggers sometimes have jam nuts to serve this purpose.

I recommend the "drop test" if you're going to tune one. Set it where you think is right, reinstall in stock, then smack the buttpad on the floor several times to simulate a drop impact. Also row the bolt hard and really slam it home. If the sear drops, you've done it wrong and need to readjust. I test mine repeatedly until i'm satisfied that it's good to go.

They can be a PITA to adjust, but IMHO the traditional remmy trigger is a great one when tuned right. Clean it with lighter fluid and use a light oil on it.

The shillen is an excellent trigger, as is the timney- but the timney has a wider shoe than stock and doesn't fit all aftermarket bottom metals (dbm, etc.) without some widening of the trigger slot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bcw1284</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The walker design is only dangerous if tuned wrong or otherwise damaged. IF the trigger has been adjusted my a monkey, then it's possible for it to drop the sear accidentally. HOWEVER, this could be said about any mechanical device which has been adjusted outside of its safety limits.

I run the old style remmy triggers on all of my bolt guns, for the price (about $45 used on the SH classifieds) there isn't anything that compares IMHO. I tune them myself and test the hell out of them before I call it good. Then I put clear nail polish on the adjustment screws to prevent the adjustments from accidentally being altered. Aftermarket triggers sometimes have jam nuts to serve this purpose.

I recommend the "drop test" if you're going to tune one. Set it where you think is right, reinstall in stock, then smack the buttpad on the floor several times to simulate a drop impact. Also row the bolt hard and really slam it home. If the sear drops, you've done it wrong and need to readjust. I test mine repeatedly until i'm satisfied that it's good to go.

They can be a PITA to adjust, but IMHO the traditional remmy trigger is a great one when tuned right. Clean it with lighter fluid and use a light oil on it.

The shillen is an excellent trigger, as is the timney- but the timney has a wider shoe than stock and doesn't fit all aftermarket bottom metals (dbm, etc.) without some widening of the trigger slot. </div></div>

Thanks for the good info.. I would like to adjust it at some point to be a bit lighter. It doesn't look very complicated so long as I take my time and check it properly before saying its good to go.

Yea...Ya better send that dangerous rifle to me so I can dispose of it properly
grin.gif

Seriously, it's a great trigger.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oneshot onekill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yea...Ya better send that dangerous rifle to me so I can dispose of it properly
grin.gif

Seriously, it's a great trigger. </div></div>

Lmao! I knew someone was going to make that offer.. Just a matter of time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bnoland</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There is no issue. It is an excellent trigger. It is in use by the US Marine Corps and US Army all around the world.

However if you want to believe the drama, then there are a large number of replacements. I suggest the Timney 510.

I watch and read several. The last one I saw was CNBC bacically saying they could find no proof at all that it was ever a trigger problem. They even show the defense expert witness saying he could never get the malfuntion to happen on weapons it has supposedly previously happened on. I will stick with my walker and spend the money else where for the time being. Once I get to the point where a better trigger will help me I will get one.. for now I need to learn to shoot properly.

On a side note I watched a couple of you videos on youtube earlier about bolt manipulation and some others. Great videos. Thanks </div></div>

I don't want to get into a debate on this...because it's been done before, but there was documented cases of Remington being aware of this issue. Including internal memos from their own employees documenting brand new rifles doing this before ever leaving the factory.

I kept the Walker trigger in my PSS....I just keep it well cleaned & maintained.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mgd45</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bnoland</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There is no issue. It is an excellent trigger. It is in use by the US Marine Corps and US Army all around the world.

On a side note I watched a couple of you videos on youtube earlier about bolt manipulation and some others. Great videos. Thanks </div></div>

I don't want to get into a debate on this...because it's been done before, but there was documented cases of Remington being aware of this issue. Including internal memos from their own employees documenting brand new rifles doing this before ever leaving the factory.

I kept the Walker trigger in my PSS....I just keep it well cleaned & maintained. </div></div>

Yea, I saw those too. What got me is with all of the claims they could never duplicate the issue even with the actual weapons that were suppose to have been the ones that had it happen. There was one video supposedly from a LE agency where when the guy touched the bolt it would fire. If you adjust any weapon improperly then there is a possibility of accidental/un-intended discharge. The other thing that got me is one of the ones Remington looked at that had cause a death had been adjusted by the owner beyond what Remington called "safe adjustment" and was covered in rust and dirt. I will do as you did and keep it clean and maintained to help keep the risk of AD as low as possible. That and always make sure I am not point at something I do not want to destroy.

there is a simple way to keep the gun from discharging due to the failed safety...don't use the safety. Simply don't keep anything chambered when you don't want to shoot.

Oh, got one chambered and decided not to shoot, simply take the round out of the chamber.

this issue is well known to the 700 trigger and has been replicated by several groups including Remington.

I've got a PSS with the factory trigger and have had the safety trip the sear both when flipping and off. My trigger is adjusted but not too light, somewhere above 4lbs. So I simply don't use the safety.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: seanh</div><div class="ubbcode-body">there is a simple way to keep the gun from discharging due to the failed safety...don't use the safety. Simply don't keep anything chambered when you don't want to shoot.

Oh, got one chambered and decided not to shoot, simply take the round out of the chamber.

this issue is well known to the 700 trigger and has been replicated by several groups including Remington.

I've got a PSS with the factory trigger and have had the safety trip the sear both when flipping and off. My trigger is adjusted but not too light, somewhere above 4lbs. So I simply don't use the safety.

</div></div>

You have had it happen to you? I am not trying to stir up something but I am interested in the issue. I saw a video from CNBC where the defenses "gun expert" even said he could not get a replication of what was said to have happened with one that had supposely done it killing someone. He even said he thought many were lying and had pulled the trigger on accident. I saw the letters and note in Remington's document saying it is possible but never saw anything with it confirmed with one that was properly maintain and adjusted.

There is only one gun I keep a round chambered most of the time and thats my pistol that I keep on me. The only time its not chambered is when I have it apart for cleaning. No issues with a round being in the chamber when its not needed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: seanh</div><div class="ubbcode-body">there is a simple way to keep the gun from discharging due to the failed safety...don't use the safety. Simply don't keep anything chambered when you don't want to shoot.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Oh, got one chambered and decided not to shoot, simply take the round out of the chamber.</span>

</div></div>

I think one of the documented discharges was then a person tried to lift the bolt to remove a round & it went off....so maybe that is still an issue.

I know of a collection of more than 20 of these model 700s nearly every one has had the trigger adjusted, function and safety checked and most have had hundreds of rounds thru them, some, thousands. Not one has had an AD. They also do not get pointed at living creatures that are intended to stay living. They do not get handled and certainly not cleaned without first verifying their status and taking the appropriate action, even if it was just observed checked by someone else. Always assume its loaded until you personally know otherwise, mistakes happen and memories fail. Never trust a mechanical safety to work.

Go to a public range and watch people handle firearms, particularly watch their trigger finger. No one wants to admit they hotted someone, especially family, by being an idiot, it has to be the gun's fault. Never mind the fact they were handling it with a round in the chamber pointed at a person. They should be in jail.

Oh yeah, the new remmy trigger can apparently be good, mine was bad, the Timney is a fantastic and simple unit, if you choose to upgrade.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Beef</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I know of a collection of more than 20 of these model 700s nearly every one has had the trigger adjusted, function and safety checked and most have had hundreds of rounds thru them, some, thousands. Not one has had an AD. They also do not get pointed at living creatures that are intended to stay living. They do not get handled and certainly not cleaned without first verifying their status and taking the appropriate action, even if it was just observed checked by someone else. Always assume its loaded until you personally know otherwise, mistakes happen and memories fail. Never trust a mechanical safety to work.

Go to a public range and watch people handle firearms, particularly watch their trigger finger. No one wants to admit they hotted someone, especially family, by being an idiot, it has to be the gun's fault. Never mind the fact they were handling it with a round in the chamber pointed at a person. They should be in jail.

Oh yeah, the new remmy trigger can apparently be good, mine was bad, the Timney is a fantastic and simple unit, if you choose to upgrade. </div></div>

Yea, I have some first hand experiance with morons like that. I was taking an armed security class before I went into LE. As part of it you sit through the handgun permit class. The instructor told us to open our gun cases and look at something on our firearms. The guy sitting next to me instantly picked his firearm up placing his finger on the tigger and pointed it at me. Needless to say I was hot.. I got up and walked to stand in the back of the class room for the rest of the class room instruction after letting the guy know he was a dumbass.