• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Remington 700 r5 muzzle break

james24

Sergeant
Banned !
Minuteman
Nov 8, 2009
Shreveport, Louisiana
Im wanting to put one on my 300 win mag on my R5 i got Saturday. It is mainly gonna be a hunting rifle but will shoot targets when aint nothing going on. Now i have been researching and found that most prefer the Badger FTE but i dont want a clamp on so I was thinking bout the Thruster. La Prescion installs the Vais and im bout 20 mintues from him. Whats my best bet on one to use??

Thanks alot. Search button mad me mad

Re: Remington 700 r5 muzzle break

The Vias brake has been proven effective, however it will kick up a lot of dust if you are shooting prone on the ground.

The Badger Thruster has had a lot of praise, but I haven't ever shot a rifle that has had one.

I personally went with an APA Little Bastard, very effective.

There are a bunch of good brakes out there, you can give wnroscoe a call and see what he recommends for you, maybe he has had a bit of experience with brakes other than Vias.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: james24</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Now i have been researching and found that most prefer the Badger FTE but i dont want a clamp on
</div></div>

What is wrong with the clamp on? You know it is actually threaded on with the clamp as an addition to that. This makes it better IMHO since indexing the shoulder on the barrel is not as critical and the muzzle brake will not work loose. The Roedale threaded muzzle brake also has set screws to clamp brake onto barrel. The Roedale is also a good choice. I have both a Roedale and a Badger FTE.

Thanks guys. U also had looked at the little bastard. But forgot to list it. I'm waiting on an email from William now

My teammate and I are going to see LA precision this week or real soon to have our 5R and PSS chopped and Surefire brakes installed.

I favor the Badger brake for the price and the rep, but I do plan on getting a can which has driven me towards the SF brake.

If you are going to be hunting with this rig I wouldn't use a muzzle brake. They are very loud and usually you don't have ear plugs in when you shoot.

That being said I really like the surefire brake. Later down the road you can always put a suppressor on it as well.

Chuck

I have a Little Bastard break on my 5r 300wm. They are GTG. Like it much better the AWC I had on it prior.

American Precision did the install at time of purchase as well.

I can't say enough good things about APA they have done me great on all purchases.