• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Remington 700 r5 or Remington 700 XCR-LTR both 308

mlevanus

Private
Minuteman
Mar 30, 2009
Memphis, Tn
first time poster long time reader.
going to get my first precision rifle in the next few weeks,
which one of the above is the better purchase mostly will be shooting 100-600 yrs at targets.
have a burris extreme tactical 6-24 to go on it.

what are the pros and cons on the above rifles. i seem to like the r5 better because of the barrel but dont like the ss finish so that means i have to send it out to have it coated.
does one have a better stock than the other or any other help will be much appreciated, price are about equal so that realy doesnt come into it much.

thanks for all the help

Re: Remington 700 r5 or Remington 700 XCR-LTR both 308

no one has any options on these rifles
realy would like some input

do the coating yourself, sand it and duracoat it

Use the search function. There have been many topics about the two of these rifles.

Each rifle will shoot about the same. The 5R will give you a little more velocity, but it also weighs more. The XCR - LTR has the nice TriNite finish, but I wouldn't be concerned about the finish as much. Either rifle you can always Duracoat it, or use Krylon Camo (both of which I am sure you can do yourself with a little patience). I would recommend shouldering each rifle and see which one feels better. Both rifles are enough to get you out to 800 meters with the proper ammo.

The 5R will probably be easier to find than the XCR - LTR. Personally I would go with the XCR, but that is just me.

i tried the search nothing comparing these 2 rifles and nothing realy on the xcr
realy would like some input i see some questions gets tons of responses
just hate to get the wrong rifle cant realy get to see either one of them before i buy i am a bass pro shop employee and have to order them.

thanks again and hope i get a few more responses

Flip a coin. You can't go wrong with either one. If you wanted a bunch of responses, you should have asked:

Which is better, Remington or Savage?

or the ever-classic:

What scope is the best?

Snore.
smile.gif