• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

remington 700 sps 16.5 anybody know about it?

urmaker45

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Jun 30, 2013
wise,va
Well I go to my local guns shop to order my rifle I decided to order and they have this remington 700 sps 16.5 threaded barrel now im looking at it but I don't know about the short barrel.I am using this as a leo sniper rifle at max ill be shooting 600-700 yards I've heard alot of guys say its rare but nothing about it shooting can anybody tell me anything I might buy it instead?

Guessing it's a .308? There's no reason that it shouldn't shoot well. I'd guess that Remington is kicking out about 70% acceptable shooters, and 30% turds. Not sure on the twist of this model, but you'd better check, along with your departments ammo to see if everything is kosher. If there is any chance you'll be running a suppressor, I'd say go for it. Absolute worst case scenario would be you'd have to screw a new barrel on it.

Last edited:
Just picked one up myself. Haven't had a chance to shoot it yet but the 1:10 twist and the fact I will run it with my can, makes the handiness of the 16.5 barrel a huge plus for me.

Yeah its 16.5 and idk if ill use a can right now but it would be handy having a short barrel just don't want it to hurt accuracy if so ill just go with a longer barrel but we shoot 168 gm

Last edited:
I picked one up in .223. I dig it.

C7C3BE60-0E3F-44A9-B024-B8621B4FE0C8-759-000001656C1BA8B8.jpg

Man thats sweet highground thats exactly the stock I was thinking about putting it in I was wondering how the 16.5 would look with it... Im just scared about shooting long range out to like 6-700 yard with the 16.5 and if the shorter barrel would effect accuracy with the 308.

The only way to determine max range is to shoot it. These aren't TRGs or AIs; some will shoot better than others. My rings will be in today, itll get shot and chronod this weekend. I'll reaport back with velocities but I anticipate 7-800 yards wont be an issue if your wind calls are good. Not sure how much energy it'll carry at that range, though. Location will also play a big part in effective range.

Regular guy was that a 5 round group at 100 yards ? If so thats impressive and yeah swift I would like to shoot it to see Ive thinking about downloading app ballistic advanced maybe i could find that more that way if it has the option to account for the 16.5 barrel length.

Regular guy was that a 5 round group at 100 yards ? If so thats impressive and yeah swift I would like to shoot it to see Ive thinking about downloading app ballistic advanced maybe i could find that more that way if it has the option to account for the 16.5 barrel length.

jbmballistics.com. Its a free online calculator that will help determine a bullet's performance under the specific conditions you shoot in. Barrel length is accounted for in the velocity. Shorter barrels will launch em slower than longer barrels but this is the most difficult variable if you don't have the rifle and chrono in hand. Rule of thumb is 14-18fps per inch but it's a broad generalization.

If you're not familiar with ballistic calculators, pm me and I'll walk you through JBM.

Its fine.

My (former) rifle pictured in the other thread put 168gr Hornady TAP out at 2524fps; velocity was a 10rd average, then was verified on steel at 900yd. At that range, in my AO, the bullet was juuuust barely supersonic and it took 10.7mil up from a 100yd zero.

My first time shooting beyond 650yd, or a 308 (let alone a shorty), that performance impressed me. Inside 800yd, I wouldn't think twice about it.

A 308 is gonna get blown around at that range, and the lower velocity of a short barrel makes it worse than a 20-24" tube. But if you can read wind and know your ballistics, you can make reliable hits.

In short, go buy the damn rifle, run some rounds over a chrono, put it in a ballistics calculator and go shoot.

I say buy the rifle, as it will be very useful for the majority of distances you'll likely use it for. Do not think of it as a gun that will excel much beyond 400-500 yds. There are better rifles and calibers suited for those distances.

As a point of reference, I lost about 200 fps when I chopped my 308, 1/10 tw, MTU contour barrel from 24" to 16.5". For my purposes with this rifle, it's plenty. I have a 6.5 CM barrel for longer range stuff.

Searched a Long Time for one a while back and Finally found it! Mine shot Great right out of the Box, the setup is the same as RegularGuy`s above.

Here's a link of my rifle when I first got it:

http://www.snipershide.com/shooting/snipers-hide-bolt-action-rifles/180609-finally-found-one.html

And here's what it looks like now Bedded in a B&C Tactical Medalist Stock with CDI DBM. needless to say it Shoots EVEN BETTER.

2efqr7d.jpg

Im no expert but for general LEO situations 200 yards or less I think this little rifle will do just fine for the fast and tight urban environments.