• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington 700 SPS Long Range

montgomery627

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 29, 2011
Bastrop, La.
Thinking about buying a 300 WM. Was wondering if anyone has bought or shot one of the "new" SPS Long Range yet? Would it make a good platform to start from?

Re: Remington 700 SPS Long Range

Would be an inexpensive way to build a mag rifle. The stock is supposedly to be better than the older tupperware, but I am not sure the rifle has hit the streets yet. I think they are to be available mid to late June.

It looks the be a web splatter version of the regular SPS Varmint, which is what I have always started with. You should be G2G, trading out the usual suspects, like the stock.

BTW, I was born in Bastrop. HA!

Roggom
I wasn't sure as to when they would hit the streets. I have one on back order from Zanders. Thanks for the heads up on the wait. I'll just use the money I have put to the side already to order a H-S stock and a Rifle Basix trigger for it.

DeadNoise,
You right. They are some great triggers.
I've got a couple of Timney's on older rifles and I just bought a new Rifle Basix to put on an LTR in 300 SAUM.
For some reason, the Basix feels a little better to me but, everyone is different. That's why they offer so many different ones I guess.

Thanks for the response

Skg_Mre_Lght, i agree. All it looks like is an SPS-V with a different colored stock...

good base to build a great gun though!

If you can find one, I would look at the Sendero. They have a good H.S. Precision stock. You can probably pick one up used for maybe 600-700. Just my 2 cents

I was also looking at this new 700 SPS Long Range in 300 Win Mag......I have the SPS Tac .223 and .308 and they are both Sub-MOA rifles w/ Fed GMM ammo...I also have a Rem 700P .338 Lapua Mag but no 300 Win Mag....I thought this new SPS Long Range would be a good start for a new project...

I'm thinking this would work....
700 sps Long Range (300 WM)
Bell Carlson (Varmint/Tactical)
Timney trigger
TPS 20 MOA Steel Base
Warne 30mm Maxima Rings
Leopold Mk4 8.5-25x50mm
Harris Bipod
...and some time finding out what it likes to eat!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DeadNoise</div><div class="ubbcode-body">timney makes a good trigger as well. </div></div>

+1 on the timney. i got mine set @2 lbs, and it came with a tootsie pop! cant beat that!

I have the Rem 700 5R's. Bought the 308 , loved it. 1/2 inch gun. So I bought the 300WM version. Put an AAC BRAKE TO kill recoil. Shoots like a dream.
I bed them and drop in a Timney. Freakin awesome for the money.
I like Seekins base and rings on mine.

Furtaker 223,
I have been looking around here for both a 300 WM and another 7mm STW both in Senderos. Have came up short on my hunt so far. I would find one on gunbroker but, I have seen some deals go south on there and I just don't want to deal with the hassle of trying to get people to do right. All the ones that I've seen come across here on the hide, I have missed out on.

SGTJonesUSMC,
I think you r right. I think that we would be off to a great start with that set up.

Pappasniper,
I wanted a 5r but, I can't order from AccuSport because I don't have a store front. Have met all the other requirements but that one. No one else in our area orders from them either,that I know of. And I don't know of anyone else that carries the 5r.
I will be heading to Baton Rouge next week. I will probably just take a copy of my FFL and just try to pick up one while I'm down there and when the SPS Long Range comes in,I will just let my son have it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: montgomery627</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Pappasniper,
I wanted a 5r but, I can't order from AccuSport because I don't have a store front. Have met all the other requirements but that one. No one else in our area orders from them either,that I know of. And I don't know of anyone else that carries the 5r.
I will be heading to Baton Rouge next week. I will probably just take a copy of my FFL and just try to pick up one while I'm down there and when the SPS Long Range comes in,I will just let my son have it. </div></div>

STG FIREARMS carries them quite often. They are in Prescott AZ , but sell a lot via gunbroker. You could call and ask them. They are good to go.

Good Luck

Thanks for the info PappaSniper. Looks like they have them in stock from what I can tell. I will be contacting them first thing Monday morning.

I have had good(ahh Dencent) luck with both my sps's, Ones getting suited up in a new manners T5A due to terrible stock and one just gonna sit in the safe I guess. If your gonna get a H-S Precision stock then just look for a sendero. Then youll have a better rifle right off the bat. Good luck. Maybe I'll see it at Prince gun range yet.

Why only rem?? I have two remeys but they are both custom builds. I have had way better luck with Savage right out of the box. in .223,6.5 creedmoor and in .204 ruger on the savage side they have all shot bug holes with the first load i have tried in them except the 6.5 creedmoor. and the second load I shot in it was the same as the rest. I like Remington also but if I am going to build it will be on a Remington or a clone. But if I buy a new factory rifle i will choose savage every time. Just a thought for you.

Coug,
To be honest with you, I've never even shot or held a Savage rifle. I've heard good things about them but, I have always owened Remingtons and have had great luck with them. I may look into them.
Thanks for bringing that idea up.

Coug and scoutsout,
If I did by some chance start looking at the Savage line, which ones would be a good one to start with?

Any of the 10fp,fcp,fcp-sr etc. or 12 series in the Savage line

Just go to there site and look under the law enforcement line any of those should do or the target series. They really are fine rifles and out of the box accuracy really can't be beat. I own both Remington and Savage and I reach for the Savages more often then not.

Thanks Scoutsout. I will check into them. I was looking through one of the flyers that we got in from Zanders Sporting Goods and noticed that they have a Winchester Stealth in a 300 wsm on sale. I may check into it also. I may start a new thread and see if anyone knows anything about them before I make a final decision on which one I get. I can always cancel the SPS LR that's on order.

Well heck,the bug bit today. I walked into a shop and they had a 700 PSS in 300WM and I just couldn't resist it. Had to go ahead and get it.

Congrats on the new tool, I also looked at the sps long range but went with the aac-sd in. 308.

Thanks Thecelt. I think you made a good choice. I don't personally have one but, from everything I hear, they are great rifles. I had thought about cancelling the SPS Long Range that I have on order but, what the heck, I'll just wait till it comes in and give it a try. Don't think I can go wrong with it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: montgomery627</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well heck,the bug bit today. I walked into a shop and they had a 700 PSS in 300WM and I just couldn't resist it. Had to go ahead and get it. </div></div>

How has the PSS been working out for you? I've been thinking of picking one of these up with the 40X trigger, or finding a 5R somewhere and upgrading the trigger for a more 'solid' factory trainer. The new SPS LR looks to be a solid rifle, although cheapened up to help move rifles off the shelf. It would be nice if Remington would follow Savage and allow you to build a rifle pretty much how you want it from available parts, and not spend a fortune in the Custom Shop.

I might have to pick one of these up in 7mm. I've been wanting another 7mm of some sort but wouldn't shoot it enough to justify putting a bunch of money in one. If these are priced like SPS-V's you could drop one into a HS takeoff stock or a B&C and have $700-800 in the rifle.

Hey guys, it's almost 2014. Did the Remington 700 SPS Long Range model ever hit the market? I can't find them anywhere. Remington's website still shows its status as "New."

Around about this time last year I called Remington's customer service and they said the SPS Long Range would begin production in January of this year, I still haven't seen any on the market. I remember reading somewhere that it had been canceled due to "issues with the stock" but I don't have a link to cite. If anyone has different news or information, I'd love to be wrong on this one.

I've been checking for them intermittently since I saw the first ad last year. Haven't seen a thing. Wouldn't be surprised if the stock was an issue, probably can't make it hold up at the price point and profit they want. I'd be perfectly content if they just sold it as a barreled action, considering with a crummy plastic stock that's all it would be for many people I don't see why not.

I don't think they're gonna happen. You'd want to chunk the factory tuppeware anyway and turn it into a sendero. Might as well just start with the Sendero in the 1st place

Maybe you guys are talking about a different rifle....but i just picked up a 700 Long Range 300wm. Model# 84164. Have not shot it yet but it looks and feels far better than my old 700 tactical. Im on a new phone. Pics coming shortly.

I saw it on the remington site early this year but looking just now it is no longer listed. I wonder if they discontinued them after making just a few and you got one of those...

I was hoping to get a 7mm mag, I got a empty AICS 2.0 waiting for it when I heard about them...

Last edited:
I have no idea. I know my gun shop still has at least two in 300wm. The stock is different than the images from remington and the vids on youtube. Hopefully i can get this phone figured out to post a pic (if im even allowed to post them yet)

I have no idea. I know my gun shop still has at least two in 300wm. The stock is different than the images from remington and the vids on youtube. Hopefully i can get this phone figured out to post a pic (if im even allowed to post them yet)

From your link that isn’t the one I saw on remington's site. The difference is the stock, which should be very good for you. The ones I saw had a long action version of the injected plastic types the varmints ship with. I'd bet they found out what we already know about that plastic stock and tried to fix it with the b&c and ended up with something that would compete to closely to their sendero... but then I think too much, LOL.

From your link that isn’t the one I saw on remington's site. The difference is the stock, which should be very good for you. The ones I saw had a long action version of the injected plastic types the varmints ship with. I'd bet they found out what we already know about that plastic stock and tried to fix it with the b&c and ended up with something that would compete to closely to their sendero... but then I think too much, LOL.

That's what I recall as well.
I suspect you're right and this model missed the pricepoint that they were trying for. At its price I would hope for something better than the rust prone matte blued finish, maybe parkerized, but then I guess we'd have discounted Police model in a different stock. Other possibility is that it was a special run for a distributor, they do that sometimes. Guessing they listed the specs wrong 1:14 in a 300WM?

I emailed remington asking about the twist. I was told it was a 1:10 and read online 1:10 and 1:14. Sure hope its NOT 1:14

The picture on the website show what looks like an SPS stock which would be useless. Maybe, just maybe Remington did their homework this time and postponed the final release to fit the rifle with a proper stock. One that is at a minimum pillar bedded.