• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington 700 SPS Tactical .308 or Varmint .308

tanda10506

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 10, 2010
Phelan, CA
Hello everyone. I'm new to Sniper's Hide and relatively new to long range shooting. I'm considering getting one of the above mentioned rifles but need some help. I've searched on here and there's alot of info on the SPS Tactical, and a decent amount on the Varmint, but with all that information I still can't determin which is a better rifle. For long range shooting (600 to 1000 yards) I figured the Varmint would be better since it has the 26" barrel. I've read articles that a 24"-27" barrel is prime for long range shooting with the .308. But I see great reviews for the tactical. What do you guys recomend?

One more question: How are you guys able to use detatchable magazines on the 700 Tactical? This might be a stupid question but I'm pretty new to this stuff.

Re: Remington 700 SPS Tactical .308 or Varmint .308

which is better?: varmint, because it's cheaper. The barrel on the tactical is no better, just shorter. You will eventually replace the bbl on either. As far as detachable mags is concerned, neither is set up to accept them from the factory. You will need to replace the stock on either, and buy DBM bottom metal for either before they will accept mags. Buy the cheaper of the two so you will have the saved money to make the same upgrades that you will inevitably make. Start with the glass and ammo.

tanda10506: Just a point in the right direction. Fill out your profile ( Like where you live.). You will get hounded if you don't do it. Also. The Remington varmit rifles are nice rifles for factory rifles. I own one in 22-250 and it has the HSPrecision stock... It shoots sweet... I would not hesitate to grab a varmit special in 308 if hunting for a good shooting factory rifle. Good luck with your choice....SmokeRolls

I have a SPS-V and I really like it. It's my first true long range rifle. I bought a HS Pres stock for it and I've really liked it so far, but mine is a .300WSM. Either way you'll get a good gun. Lots of people shoot out to 1000 yds with 20" barrels so it's really just whatever you decide.

Good luck!

my first rifle was a sps-v it shot well even with the stock it comes with. i eventually traded the stock for a hs precision. the best thing you can do to make your shooting fun is buy a good rifle scope. i tried to penny pinch and it always gets me... with that rifle start off with a leupold vx1 its cheap and awesome. have fun first! go to the store and buy a laser sight that fits into the rifle chamber and sight it in at 50yards. so that way your popin targets asap.

im new to this as well only been shooting for a yr and im still learnin

Re: Remington 700 SPS Tactical .308 or Varmint .30

Dude with the Varmint your going to want to change out the stock. I ordered a H&C Medalist Tactical in long action accidently and took my stock off.......ITS CRAP I posted a review here

gunboards http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?152926-Remington-SPS-Varmint-Stocks-SUCK!!!

It shoots great groups at 100 yrds but 200 it gets a lot worse with follow up shots. The cold bore is always on but any heat what so ever and you can bet a wild shot. Its like someone with an aircraft engineering degree designed it.......not a good choice in a weapon. The stock has cross members with many open spaces and bunches of different contact points. Ill be sure to post a review once I get my new stock monday from midway.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: N2DADARK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dude with the Varmint your going to want to change out the stock. I ordered a H&C Medalist Tactical in long action accidently and took my stock off.......ITS CRAP I posted a review here

gunboards http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?152926-Remington-SPS-Varmint-Stocks-SUCK!!!

It shoots great groups at 100 yrds but 200 it gets a lot worse with follow up shots. The cold bore is always on but any heat what so ever and you can bet a wild shot. Its like someone with an aircraft engineering degree designed it.......not a good choice in a weapon. The stock has cross members with many open spaces and bunches of different contact points. Ill be sure to post a review once I get my new stock monday from midway. </div></div>

For a new shooter he should get a new stock? and besides I was super new and was shooting decent groups at 300yards man sized targets. its normal for 2-3 shots to go in and have a wild shot. or even 1-2 shots to go in and a 3rd wild shot.

remember its a remington factory special he should get familiar with the rifle first! then start tinkering with the rifle.

but the stock doesnt fit anyone but a small female or child....it's going to get replaced, might as well now.

26" can be cut later. Less blast.

I'm going to practice using epoxy on the stock and free floating the barrel. Cheap education and may even gain accuracy, as have others who have tried it.

If this is primarily going to be a range rifle the 26" would be fine. You will get a little boost in velocity for your long range shots. If you are hunting with it in brushy areas or tight places the tactical would be my choice. As money allows you can switch out the stock. That would be the time to consider going to an AICS mag system if you want one. (I like mine) I started shooting with a varmint before there were SPS models, mine came with a HS stock. 1 1/2" to 1 1/4" groups were common with its prefered handload at 200 yards.

One interesting fact I have found. I recently picked up a rebarreled action with a Rock Creek barrel that is 21 1/2" and I get higher velocity out of that than the factory 26", better groups too.
grin.gif
I dont think to may factory rifles are in my future now that I've been spoiled.

I had bought a sps varmint because of the price just to see how it would shoot. I agree with farmboy, get used to it. i had some glass bed laying around, and bedded the factory "pop bottel" stock and it actually shot very well. i was broke at the time and couldent get a new stock.options on the stock anytime you want. get used to the gun, most of the remingtons now hace the 40x adj. trigger. Try it out. and just starting out try the bell and carlson, you can get a nice aluminum bedded stock for 225.00 shipped.

SPS tactical is good to go. Just replace the stock.

If you're serious about marksmanship and are willing to budget money over time to improve the rifle, I say go with the Varmint. You'll only likely keep the action in the end anyway.

If not, the Tactical seems like a neater rifle. Short barrel looks better and I hear is easier to drag around on a hunting trip. It should be more accurate out the box, but I get half inch groups out of my SPS Varmint (front sandbag, rear fist, match ammo) and all I did is bed the stock. You can also just buy the Tactical's stock off of Gunbroker. I paid $75 for one, but decided I like the Varmint's stock better. I'll let you have it for 50
wink.gif

The tactical still needs bedding, I think, even though I couldn't tell a difference in group size on the one day I took it out.

I don't mind putting money into the rifle over time. But I know both rifle's are very accurate and that the only things I'd be replacing on them would be the stock, at least for some time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tanda10506</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't mind putting money into the rifle over time. But I know both rifle's are very accurate and that the only things I'd be replacing on them would be the stock, at least for some time. </div></div>
then get the sps-v and you'll have saved more money for your starter glass and mounts.

Get either, There's a good chance either will outshoot you for quite some time. For the glass, look around on here for a used Super Sniper in 10x or 16x, should cost $250 or less for that. go to burris for there tactial rings for a good deal and get to shooting. Replace the stock when you get around to it.

It works pretty well as it sits but will be better when the rifle fits you better.

The sps rifle is a good rifle. As far a a detachable mag you need new bottom metal or an aics stock works very well.

the only problem I had with my sps was that the stock was touching the barrel, easy fix though. find out where its touching, take the stock off, file or dremel the stock down where it was touching, put it back on and you are good to go. I sighted mine in at 100 yards and had a surprisingly tight group. I used it this year on the dear hunt and dropped my deer at 284 yds and the bullet impacted exactly where I was aiming so I would recommend the sps, I bought that a super sniper scope and used some rings and bases I had at the house and it has been great so far. I think it really just depends on what you want to be using your rifle for and what you expect out of it.