• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing remington 700 sticky bolt issues

wets7

Private
Minuteman
Jan 25, 2014
I just bought a Timney 510 trigger and installed it in my remington 700 sps tactical .308 and everything went smooth as could be at first. After the install I cycled the bolt and pulled the trigger to make sure everything was working properly and it was. Then after about 10 times cycling the bolt it started to seize up when I tried to cycle the bolt back. When you go to pull the bolt handle up to bring it back I have to use an extreme amount of strength to get it to move. I disassembled the bolt and nothing was out of the ordinary or anything like that so I put the bolt back together and then tried to cycle it a few times and it worked for a minute and then all of sudden it got extremely hard to pull open. I have no idea what is causing this. If there is anyone that has any advice that would be helpful.

Try it before you put it back in the stock. You may have a slightly too long front action screw binding on the lugs if you torqued it down too much.

It is already out the stock because I thought that was the issue as well. The only time its hard to lift the bolt is after you fire the bolt, when the bolt is already charged its easy to lift and pull back but soon as you fire the bolt the lift after is really difficult to pull up

Possibly not enough over travel and the top lever is binding up with the trigger that's keeping the firing pin cocking piece in a bind. If that's not it there is something going on in that area.

Do a google search for this if you haven't. I had the same problem with a Timney and finally found the solution. I think it was as simple as putting a dab of oil on the cocking piece, but can't remember for sure. It was a simple fix that required a bunch of digging online. Try the drop of oil first.

Just a thought, but is it possible the timney trigger is sitting too high in the receiver - causing the bolt to bind on the sear? Have you called timney?
I have heard of a similar problem, and I think that was the issue.