• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Remington 700 Stock: McMillan A5, Manners T5A or B&C Tactical Medalist 5

arbogb06

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 4, 2013
Seaford, DE
Gentleman,

My buddy has a Remington 700 SPS AAC-SD in .308 that he has just had trued, bought a muzzle brake for, timney trigger for (set at 1.5 lbs), Vortex rings, Vortex 6-24x50 Viper PST FFP Mil/Mil for and is going to upgrade the factory houe stock and asked me which I stock I preferred. Having trigger time behind a Manners T5 I have the most experience with this stock. Having held a B&C Tactical Medalist 5 on another 700 I also liked that stock as well because the drop/pistol grip gives it that thumb hole feel since it goes so low. However I noticed a lot of Rem 700 shooters have the McMillan a5 adjustable stocks and I wanted to know why they choose that stock over the other listed. Any insight would be greatly appreciated especially from shooters that have expereinced all 3. I am asking this for my buddy because I shoot with him all the time and do some work on his gun and reload for him. His main use for the gun is shooting steel and targets from 0-600 yards, maybe once in a blue moon 800-1,000 yards max.

Any insight is appreciated as after seeing his 100 yard group before the gun was trued with factory Federal match ammo I may have to have one of these in my gun safe here shortly.

Thanks.

Subscribed to this thread! I have the exact same question for my 700 SPS AAC-SD in .308.

Any pictures of this rifle in above mentioned stocks would be awesome as well!

I decided to go old school with my 700 AAC SD and put on a McMillan M40 stock. The difference between the Hogue and McMillan stocks is night and day. I had issues with the magazine not feeding properly which was corrected when I put the new stock. I would expect the same improvement to cycling as well as a true flee floating barrel with any of the above mentioned stocks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
I really like my AAC-SD in the B&C medalist. Fits me perfect but everyone has their own ergonomics. If able, I recommend holding each one to find your preference.

Rem 700 AAC-SD, McM A5, Badger Metal all over, Timney and Leupy Mark4.

I shoot it in tactical matches as well as long range precision matches out to 1100 yards. It struggles past 800 yards but I scare the shit outta the steel.

My next build will sit in a Manners T4A DBM mini-chassis...

thrust.jpg

Last edited:
On my second Manners stock now and I couldn't see myself using anything else. Tom and crew build great stocks and have some of the best customer service in the business. If he is not sure about the feel of the stock have him give Manners a call and if he pays the shipping they will send a him a stock to get the feel of.

Walter

Are any of these stocks considered a bolt-on and go? or do they all need some type of bedding done?

Also, does anyone have any experience with a JAE-700 stock?

Thanks for the insight fellows. I really like my Manners t5 so I guess that is my next build a Remington 700 in .308. Now comes the fun part whatever comes first a Rem. 700 action for a good price to build off of or a Rem 700 SPS AAC-SD for a good price.

Thanks again.

Are any of these stocks considered a bolt-on and go? or do they all need some type of bedding done?

Also, does anyone have any experience with a JAE-700 stock?

Mini Chassis on the Manners is a bolt and go. Others pretty much need to be bedded some how to get full contact. If you want a bolt and go check out chassis systems. People have started to receive their JAE-700 stocks. It's a long long wait.

This may be a dumb question, but I'm gonna ask it anyway. What barrell would the one on the 700 AAC-SD .308 fall under. I've been looking around on Stocky's and the options are either for a 700 BDL S/A Sendero/Varmint, or a 700 BDL S/A M24 MilSpec.....

Am I correct when I say I feel like if you want a "bomb proof tank of a stock" you'd get a Manners? I know the McMillans are great, and the FN SPR I'm looking at comes with one but I haven't as many comments about its durability as I have the Manners.

I know you cant go wrong with either one, just curious to see which was the lighter/stronger of the two.

Sorry, hope my question keeps in line with OP.

I don't think you'd be disapointed with any of those. I only own the B&C and for the money it's hard to beat. The stock is solid, but fairly heavy. If you want a M5 DBM it will have to be milled out. Very adjustable to fit the user.

I own numerous B&C stocks, my AAC currently wears a Manners T4a mini-chassis that is the shit. But for the money I think the B&C's are hard to beat. I currently own 3 B&C stocks, and all have required some type of modification to fit correctly. But it's never been anything that my dremel, and a lil bit of time didn't fix. But if you are looking for the last stock your gun will ever need, then I would say go for the Manners. Their fit & finish are second to none, there is no doubt that they take some serious pride in the craftmanship of their stocks, and are super easy to deal with.

I shoot the best with a t4a but recently got a t6a and its a winner too. The t5a is a nice stock too if the thumb hole works for you.

To me it depends on budget. I bought a B&C M40 for my AAC but I didnt want to spend a ton since it is a fun/hunting gun and it will shoot 1/2 MOA @ 100 not bedded or trued. Since your friend is putting the money out to get the rifle trued and all, I assume he wants a little more performance out of it. Look at a McMillan A5, which I have on a comp rifle and really like, but I would suggest the lighter fills. Mine is a sniper fill and is great for prone shooting but is a little heavy IMO for off hand or positional. I havent had much time behind a Manners or one with a mini chassis, but I think the reviews out there speak for themselves. Of course you would have to bed the A5 for maximum performance but its only a few more dollars in the big picture.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364890410.757572.jpg

I put a B&C medalist on my Remington 700 and it shoots under 3/4 MOA @100 on the first outing. I wish I had the green or tan, but the black looks good....

Last edited: