• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Remington 700 Trigger Installation Woes....

cmdecker

Private
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 11, 2007
Jackson, MS
Guys,

Anyone have any links or pictures they can post that will show me how to get my trigger, hammer, etc.. re-installed in my remington 700 sps tactical? I sent it off to be threaded and UPS broke original trigger off during shipment. Now that it is back, I am trying to install the factory replacement trigger I bought.

Cliff

Re: Remington 700 Trigger Installation Woes....

make sure the trigger is on safe the long pin goes toward the rear or the butt of the gun the short pin to the front Put the pins in from the saftey side I put the small one in first

you should only have a black piece and a spring left the black piece the bolt stop its hard to explain how it goes but there is a small tit on the end and it goes to the rear I would send a pic but I would have to take my un completly down

don't go to that amount of trouble. I'll look at the exploded view in the owners manual.

Does the spring go in the slot with the black piece?

The rear pin goes thru the circle in the spring,short leg of the spring towards the rear, and the tab at the very rear slides over in to snap in.

BR2.jpg

BR1.jpg

Life will be much easier if the trigger group pins are installed from left to right for a RH action.
Looking at the 6 o'clock position of the action,there are 2(TWO) stake marks(safety lever side) to keep trigger group pins from walking.
Insert front pin first to install trigger housing & sear into receiver.
Position bolt stop in receiver,captivate bolt stop spring with rear pin,swing trigger group up into action,depress sear into housing,push rear pin through.

One other question, there is a hole in the receiver just forward of the chamber, should there be something in this hole?

As an aside, I got the entire rifle assembled thanks to you guys pics and help. I appreciate it!

God Bless snipers hide and the search function!! My bolt stop spring was missing and i would have NEVER guessed it went like that, makes sense after the pic!!! Thanks HateCA!!

This thread so helped me to. Thanks for Brain pointing me this way, Great people here.

Thanks for the info. I have a guy that has two to do. I just sent him the link.

The hide is here to help out guys in need, can't tell you how many times it has got me out of a bind.

I just want to confirm that it is easier to put the pins in from the left side to right side ( safety being the right side ).

Thanks

I pulled mine out last evening. As the "stake marks" are on the right side, it does make pushing/pulling the pins through that side more difficult.

I pushed mine out the left (drove them from the right side and out the left) and will insert them from the left to the right when I replace the trigger. One of the trigger companies (Jewell?) recommends using a .125 size drill bit to open the hole so it doesn't make a difference. I'm not sure that is needed, but "YMMV."

Watch the Bolt release spring (Hence the name Spring) I was re-installing my Trigger the otherday and as I was trying to keep everything lined up the Spring slipped and went flying. The bad part for me is that my Eyes are getting bad (close up) and I am almost Deaf. I heard it hit but being deaf I couldn't tell were being blind it was hard to see. After about 30 min I finally found the thing about two feet away still on the table.

Thanks for the pics. Saved me a bunch of time trying to remember how the trigger went back together after bedding my action.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DANS40X</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Life will be much easier if the trigger group pins are installed from left to right for a RH action.
Looking at the 6 o'clock position of the action,there are 2(TWO) stake marks(safety lever side) to keep trigger group pins from walking.
Position bolt stop in receiver,captivate bolt stop spring with rear pin,swing trigger group up into action,depress sear into housing,push rear pin through.</div></div>

Thanks, good to know. On another forum, I read the following regarding reassembling the trigger itself:

<span style="font-style: italic">Tip: if you have a plastic spray tube (aerosol lube & cleaner, etc.) available, then it is approximately the same or smaller diameter of the retaining pin holes; cut it to the same width as the trigger assembly and insert in forward hole first, then depress top and insert same in rear hole. The plastic inserts, especially if smaller in diameter than the hole, will hold tension of spring, will keep everything in place, and will slide out easily when you insert retaining pins (you will not need three hands to reassemble).</span>

Awesome! thanks for the pics. Helped me put mine back together last night.. Thought I remembered how to put everything on then I got to looking and was like crap... But now im good to go. Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: B. Melick</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DANS40X</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Life will be much easier if the trigger group pins are installed from left to right for a RH action.
Position bolt stop in receiver,captivate bolt stop spring with rear pin,swing trigger group up into action,depress sear into housing,push rear pin through.</div></div>

Thanks, good to know. On another forum, I read the following regarding reassembling the trigger itself:

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Tip: if you have a plastic spray tube (aerosol lube & cleaner, etc.) available, then it is approximately the same or smaller diameter of the retaining pin holes; cut it to the same width as the trigger assembly and insert in forward hole first, then depress top and insert same in rear hole. The plastic inserts, especially if smaller in diameter than the hole, will hold tension of spring, will keep everything in place, and will slide out easily when you insert retaining pins (you will not need three hands to reassemble).</span> </div></div></span>

Pretty slick little trick.

Awesome...Helped allot on a pillar bedding job. I was being careful and still sent that spring to the floor. Took 20 minutes to find it. It ended up in a box of .40 brass. Thanks to everyone for posting.