• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Remington 700 trigger issues.

cinosbus

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 5, 2008
St. Charles, MO
I've worked over a few 700 triggers and never had to do anything except scrape the goo off and tweak the screws to get a 2.5 to 3lb trigger that was smooth with little to no creep and broke like the over-used proverbial glass rod.

Not this one. It has faught me the whole way. With 1/3rd to 1/2 turn on the sear engagement screw, the best I can get out of it is a coarse, gritty, random weight, approximately 5lb pull with lots of creep. I originally thought the trigger pull spring was too stiff, so I backed it all the way out to where I had to hold the trigger forward to catch the sear. Still around 5lbs and horrible feel.

I removed the trigger connector and sear safety cam. The chrome on the sear safety cam was flaking off and the connector was gouged up. I carefully smoothed both surfaces with an extra fine diamond hone and experienced no improvement. Then I checked all the parts for binding in the trigger housing to no avail. Tried oil, action grease, and dry. No luck.

My only thought is that the geometry is off.

Any ideas how I can make this thing useable? I'm not that picky. Just a nice crisp pull without feeling like 80 grit and anywhere from 2.5 to 4lb consisten pull would do me. I don't really have the budget for a timney, and would rather keep the stock remington trigger if I can, just for commonality among my other rifles. I'm sure Remington will not do anything for me now that I've messed with it.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Re: Remington 700 trigger issues.

Captain Obvious says...

"Put a Timney in it."

On a serious note be safe and just suck it up and replace it. From what you said you have a defective trigger so why risk your's and others safety by continuing to mess with it?

Here is a good article on Gunsmiths.com on the Remington trigger that you may find useful.

http://www.gunsmiths.com/articledetail.php?id=87

I am pretty sure that most the parts are MIM or Powder Metal. If the coating is flaking off, then there isn't really a way to make the metal underneath smooth like the original chrome. On the new MIM stuff, once the 'chrome' coating is worn through or flakes off, the metal underneath wears very quickly.

If you completely remove the trigger/connector reset spring, you can get an idea of what the internal frictions of the trigger are. There are some old stlye connector triggers that are just not adjustable down that low. In fact, I belive they aren't made to be ajusted much below 3.5 pounds anyway, even though many people are having 'luck' with some of the triggers.

I would at a minimum replace parts that have the 'chrome' coating coming off. The better answer is always to replace with a Shilen/Timney/Huber or aftermarket trigger of your choice.

HTH Dave

I should probably add that this is a 1999 vintage rifle that was very slightly (like 3 boxes) used when I got it.

Will Remington sell just a sear safety cam and connector?

No they will want you to send the rifle back into the factory, and they will repair it. Unfortunately if you have 'messed' with it (adjusted it and stoned it), they will likely charge you for a new fire control, and that may be an X-Mark Pro.

Dave

Remington might replace the entire trigger assembly. But I would makesure they were doing it with the old style instead of the X Mark.
Then again, they might charge you for a new trigger since you turned the screws on the original. They are just that way.

-Flush out the trigger with lighter fluid, which leaves a thin coat of lubricant after evaporating. Remove all traces of factory applied thread-locking compound.

-Close the bolt so it cocks the firing pin.

-Turn the Trigger Engagement Screw in until the firing pin drops. Then back it out roughly 1/2 turn.

-Turn the Over Travel/Trigger Stop screw in until it touches the trigger. Then back it out roughly 1/2 turn.

-Adjust the Trigger Weight/Spring Tension screw to the desired pull setting.

-Adjustments need to be done in this sequence.

-Safety check by closing the bolt while pulling the trigger. Make sure the firing pin does not drop.

-Cycle the safety lever on and off with the bolt cocked to verify the firing pin does not drop.

After reassembly, slam the buttstock onto the ground with the bolt cocked to make sure the firing pin wont drop. Dont be a pussy, give it a nice solid whack.

Neil Jones does nice rework of Remington triggers if you desire, about $70.

I reluctantly polished the engagement surfaces with my dremel and a bob with rouge. That seems to have done the trick, sort-of. The pull Weight is still a little over 4lb with minimum safe trigger return spring pressure, but it is smoother and much more consistent.

Trigger passes all safety checks including pushing hard on the bolt shroud and firing pin.

I'm done messing with it.it will serve my purposes until I put In a timney.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lockedandloaded</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
-Turn the Over Travel/Trigger Stop screw in until it touches the trigger. Then back it out roughly 1/2 turn.

-Safety check by closing the bolt while pulling the trigger. Make sure the firing pin does not drop.
</div></div>

Thank you for cop-pasting that from google.

The overtravel adjustment will not always work near 1/2 turn and no 700 will pass the quoted safety check-they don't work like that.

A better way to set overtravel is to put firm pressure on the trigger while backing out the screw until it fires. GIve it just a bit more travel than that to ensure it will always fire.

be careful with the trigger, i know of one that with the safety on and you close the bolt it will go off. This will scare the you no what out of you. Trigger was adjusted and tested for safety many times, the gun was shot over a 100 times without and problems and when out hunting one day, loaded the gun with safety on and it went off. Took the trigger off and it is in the junk bucket now.

I had one that did that. I replaced it with a Timney but the same thing happened.
As it turned out the safety lever was causing the problem. Damned'est thing I've seen. I watched the gun smith change the lever and that was it. It never had the issue again.

The safey detent ball can/does touch the trigger through the trigger housing plate. No wonder moving it can make the rifle fire.

User SPROUT PMd me an idea that I tried. He mentioned that improper timing of the cocking piece can cause added friction in the trigger group if it is binding things up.

About 10min with a dremel stone wheel and my diamond hone took .020" off of the sear safety cam and smoothed it out where it contacts the cocking piece. Problem solved! This trigger is now set at a pretty darn consistent 3lb with plenty of tension on the trigger weight/return screw. Still has some light creep, but it seemed to be going away with some Break Free on the sear contact and a few dry fire reps.