• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington 700 XCR Tactical

Re: Remington 700 XCR Tactical

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: anglo-saxon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My XCR shoots very well. But I agree with the comment that it needs an adjustable cheekpiece on the stock due to the height of the scope (I have a Falcon Menace Counter Sniper Series 4-14 on mine). Can anyone who has tried the Karsten (http://www.snipercentral.com/karsten.htm) product post your opinions of this please. They look good to me, but before I go trilling through my rifle, it would be nice to hear some independent thoguth on the topic.</div></div>

I believe that the Karsten Adjustable Cheek Piece (in my opinion) is the way to go. I have a 50mm scope and I was shooting with the stock on the side of my jaw just so I can get a straight line of sight. It sucked and hurt sometimes. Best $60 I have ever spent on a gun part by far! It's easy as hell to install too. The website I ordered it from and snipershide both have installation directions pages because it's so popular. No need for a gunsmith.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BobinNC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Karsten cheek rest works well. The problem with all adjustable cheekpieces is that they adjust, and sometimes they adjust when you do not want them to. So you are constantly fiddling with them. Also B&C stocks and H-S Precision stocks, are for the most part hollow. Thus they give little support to the Karsten screws.</div></div>

My Karsten rest has never slid down or come loose when I didn't want it to. The knobs are great and they stay really tight. They also make the B-model that doesn't have knobs. If you're worried about it ever moving, you can buy the B-model instead and tighten it down and never have to worry about knobs unscrewing.

http://www.tacticalworks.com/Karsten-s-Custom-Cheek-Rest-B-Model.html

Your right, the Bell and Carlson stock is hollow, but it's damn sturdy. I didn't get any give when I tightened the screws.

Sturdy adjustable cheek rest for a sturdy stock.

Just my two cents...

Last edited:

At the moment I've just sewed some folded material to the inside of an elastic stock-sock for a cheekrest. I think the Karsden would be a great addition to the typical R700 stock.

If you're sick of using a bipod there is the option to use a different rest (Atlas Bipods have a great reputation but cost an arm and a leg!).

Daniel Jenkins from http://precisionriflesolutions.com/ makes a small tripod with a cradle - it definitely would do the trick and keep your stick light at the front. [See a pic in this SH thread] I just bought one in the medium size to use prone and in long grass.

Sucks to hear you have a 2" rifle - if your smith has such a great rep maybe hand it over to him to improve it as he sees fit and I bet he'll fix it up.

I finally got my XCR Tactical .300 out to 400 yards today. With my 220gr SMK loads, I was getting just under 1/2MOA 5-round groups with H1000 pushing the 220gr to 2825. I think I might have found my load.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: anglo-saxon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Gets a bit wobly over that weight. I put 180's through it and it was hopeless (2.0" at least). </div></div>

Weird bro, maybe it was the ammo. I've never had that problem in mine...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: QuietShootr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I finally got my XCR Tactical .300 out to 400 yards today. With my 220gr SMK loads, I was getting just under 1/2MOA 5-round groups with H1000 pushing the 220gr to 2825. I think I might have found my load.</div></div>

Nice! I'm headed out to 500 yards on Friday. All I have left are my 168gr (.308), so we'll see if that's too far for that load soon.

I have the .308 and love it!!! Any word on the .338 Laupa Mag.? the catalog shows it but haven't seen one yet. I'm saving all my spare change for one. "Why?" you ask,,, because it's cool!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Skully1971</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have the .308 and live it!!! Any word on the .338 Laupa Mag.? the catalog shows it but haven't seen one yet. I'm saving all my spare change for one. "Why?" you ask,,, because it's cool!!!</div></div>

Do you have the Long Range version like me? What distance are you shooting, load, accuracy?

I've only put 40 rounds through it, and 200yds was as far as I made it. Getting everything together to go play with it more, made up some Hornady A-Max 168's. So I should start being able to start a record of things next time I take it out.

Oh and yes I have the tac long range, BUT it dosen't have an adjustable trigger.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Skully1971</div><div class="ubbcode-body">... and yes I have the tac long range, BUT it dosen't have an adjustable trigger.</div></div>

I have the adjustable one and changed it out for a timney - a very worthy upgrade!! My mate is putting my 40-x into his sps tactical

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bwanajcj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'll agree with most the xcr compact is a great out of the box rifle. it's basically an LTR with a green stock. </div></div>

Not to nitpick but there are more differences between the LTR and XCR Compact Tactical than there are similarities. The LTR is made of carbon steel, and a parkerized finish. It is manufactured in Remington's LE/ Mil portion of the factory, and undergoes a more stringent inspection process (similar to the 870P vs. 870 Express). The XCR Compact Tactical is made in the "civilian" part of the factory, is stainless steel, with an Ionbond finish, and the 40X trigger. This is all per the Remington factory rep I spoke with.

Mine is a great shooter, with a McMillan stock, not even bedded, it was shooting sub .5 MOA for the brief time I shot it before the bolt knob popped off. Don't get me wrong, I still love the rifle and Remington did fix the knob (a much better welding job the second time around). But from what I've read, the XCR Compact Tactical seems to have a higher occurrance of bolt knobs popping off than other models of the 700. Here is a link to my report:

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...894#Post2464894

I just got mine in a 300wm can't wait to shoot it, waiting on getting a NF 5.5-22x56 they are hard to get in canada. rifle looks awesome!