• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington 700P, .308--New Gun, New Loads

mforsch

Private
Minuteman
Mar 19, 2014
After 30+ years my feather weight M70 Win .308 is ready for Social Security. I've acquired a Rem 700P-.308---and have to scrap 30 years worth of notes and loads; as we all know, every rifle has it own range of loads that it works best with.
If some of you personally, have a 700P .308 (26" heavy, non-fluted barrel----not the Lt Tac model)-----and wouldn't mind revealing a few loads that your gun likes, it would save me months and dollars by having a starting place.
My idea is to limit the range of bullet weights between 150 g. & 175 g.---the ultimate goal is 2 bullets, same weight; one hunting, one target, no monkeying with the scope.
I favor Sierra bullets, but have used all the brands in the past.

Thanks

I have the same rifle. My 700P loves the two following loads:

168 gr hpbt (either SMK or Hornady), 44.5 gr of Varget, CCI large rifle primers, 2.80" OAL

175/178 gr SMK/hpbt, 43.5 gr of Varget, CCI large rifle primers, 2.80" OAL

Last edited:
Lapua brass, 175 SMK, 43.5 grains Varget, Federal 210M primer, loaded to maximum mag length.

First thing I'd do is get a Hornady OAL gauge and see how far down the tube the throat ends. If you have one of Remington's "Mile Long Freebore" rifles then you're going to want to look at longer bullets. A good number of these rifles do best with 175 gr bullets and the smaller ones just don't yield good accuracy.

As stated before a 175 gr (or 178 gr A-Max) would be a great starting point. Then use the proven powders like Varget, IMR-4064, IMR-8208 XBR or 2000MR to work up the best load for THAT rifle.

I can't count the number of times I've read of a "Pet Load" that was capable of shooting the testicles off a gnat at 500 yards but when I tried that same load in my rifle it yielded 3" groups at 100 yards.

Take the time to develop your own loads using time tested methods like the Audette "Ladder" test or Dan Newberry's OCW method. You'd be amazed at how many components you'll save in the process and how little frustration you'll feel.

First thing I'd do is get a Hornady OAL gauge and see how far down the tube the throat ends. If you have one of Remington's "Mile Long Freebore" rifles then you're going to want to look at longer bullets. A good number of these rifles do best with 175 gr bullets and the smaller ones just don't yield good accuracy.

As stated before a 175 gr (or 178 gr A-Max) would be a great starting point. Then use the proven powders like Varget, IMR-4064, IMR-8208 XBR or 2000MR to work up the best load for THAT rifle.

I can't count the number of times I've read of a "Pet Load" that was capable of shooting the testicles off a gnat at 500 yards but when I tried that same load in my rifle it yielded 3" groups at 100 yards.

Take the time to develop your own loads using time tested methods like the Audette "Ladder" test or Dan Newberry's OCW method. You'd be amazed at how many components you'll save in the process and how little frustration you'll feel.
I've checked my 700P with the Hornady OAL gauge. Damn thing has such a long throat that if you wanted to load ammo to touch the lands, you'd have to load them to 2.96" OAL. I just stick with mag length and I'm very impressed with the accuracy.

Thanks for the all the input..
The reason I solicited group info was that---if it appeared that most shooters found favorable results with midrange weight bullet (as opposed to lighter or heavier) then I would start there-----or vice versa. As we all have come to know, every tube has it's own set of harmonics about it. With the price of components these days if a person can eliminate even a few boxes of different weights or types----that's probably a few hundred bucks.
The old rifle shot the spot with Speer 168HPBT Match, Speer 190 Match and Sierra 180 GK's with a full load of powder-----seems odd for a feather weight. It never liked slower, softer loads----or few other bullets----but it took years to find the right pick.
Thanks again