• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Remington 700P-LTR

HOGGHEAD

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 23, 2009
Rivesville, WV
I am thinking about buying a Remington 700P-LTR rifle in Left handed 308 Winchester cartridge. I am interested in any comments anyone may have about this rifle. Good points?? Bad points?? Modifications the rifle might need??

I will be using this rifle for general shooting and deer hunting out to 700 or 800 yards max. Thanks, Tom.

Re: Remington 700P-LTR

You want to take deer at 800 yards? with a 308?

As far as the rifle goes, its good to go, but I would not recommend it for deer at that distance.

I have one, and I Like it a lot. Right out of the box, with factory ammo, it will shoot well unde 1 MOA. I haven't started handloading for it yet, but with facotry TAP ammo, I have shot some 5 shot groups at 100 yards around .4 inches, with no other mods to the rifle

I'm not sure I understand the fascination of new shooters wanting to take game at ranges where their shooting skills and equipment leave little to be desired for the intended task.

I say this with all due respect - for the deer that is.

I don't have anything against <span style="font-style: italic">responsible</span> long range hunting. Practice, practice, practice before you shoot at game that far... if you can't hit a vital sized (say 10") steel target at whatever range on your first round reliably, then don't shoot at game that far.

All that said, a good rule of thumb for deer class game is 1000 foot pounds of energy. The 308 with pretty much any high BC bullet only carries that to about 600 yards. Limit your shots to that with the 308, after you can hit reliably that far.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Walsh</div><div class="ubbcode-body">With good shot placement I wouldn't doubt it. I'd say 600 yards would stil be more humaine. </div></div>

Imo 600 is still a wee bit far...Not saying it cant be done.Personally i do not shoot at game animals any futher than 300....Look at it like this if you shot a deer at 600 and fired a spoiler the deer would be wise that something is up.The deer would deffiantly be nervous.Your second shot is a hit but to far back and lands in the guts and heads for the next county.What to do now.Hopefully being 600yds away you can tell where the deer took of from.Now by the time you get to where you think he took off from you find 0 blood just a little hair.Now assume you had stalked to within 300 or closer from you original 600 before taking your first shot chances are much better for not fireing a first round spoiler....You see where i am coming from?

I started this thread to gather infprmation about a particular rifle that I can not personally put my hands on. So I was looking for opinions on the "Rifle". I have no idea how it turneds into a thread about ethical ranges for shooting deer??

I really was not saying that I wanted to hunt deer with this rifle to 800 yards. Although by reading my original post I can see how I could have worded my question a little better than I did. However I see no problem with taking a deer at 600 yards with the 308 cartridge, with proper shooting techniques. I have 30-06 rifles and other cartridges that are fully capable of doing this. Tom.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HOGGHEAD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I started this thread to gather infprmation about a particular rifle that I can not personally put my hands on. So I was looking for opinions on the "Rifle". I have no idea how it turneds into a thread about ethical ranges for shooting deer??

I really was not saying that I wanted to hunt deer with this rifle to 800 yards. Although by reading my original post I can see how I could have worded my question a little better than I did. However I see no problem with taking a deer at 600 yards with the 308 cartridge, with proper shooting techniques. I have 30-06 rifles and other cartridges that are fully capable of doing this. Tom.

To each his own friend.....out

</div></div>

Mine easily does 1moa and submoa. I expect that from Remington and have always been impressed so far.
I like the stock; very light, handy. Good balance. Rugged.
No issues otherwise, I have been thinking about putting on a DBM or switching out the bottom metal to something steel. Just for something different.
I recommend it.

my first remington was an LTR, in my opinion the stock is way too small. could never really get comfortable with it.

but thats why mcmillan exists...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HOGGHEAD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I really was not saying that I wanted to hunt deer with this rifle to 800 yards. Although by reading my original post I can see how I could have worded my question a little better than I did.</div></div>

It certainly read that way.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HOGGHEAD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">However I see no problem with taking a deer at 600 yards with the 308 cartridge, with <span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">proper</span></span> shooting techniques.
</div></div>

Agreed.

So on to the rifle. I recently sold my FN SPR A1a and bought an LTR. For my purposes, the LTR is much better suited. The FN had a McMillan A3 stock. It was great for shooting from a bench or prone, but wasn't great for offhand or snap shots. For all around use including hunting, Im much more happy with the slimmed down HS stock on the LTR. Extremely light and handy feeling. Same thing for the rifles as a whole. The LTR just feels natural bring to the shoulder. It's "handy", that's about the best word I can use to describe it.

Accuracy was sub MOA with the first handloads I tried, using 175 SMKs. I tried some 180 SGKs and had some frustrations with the first load... gonna have to give that one some more attention. I'm very happy with it so far. Pic:

DSC_0085.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kyle1974</div><div class="ubbcode-body">with facotry TAP ammo, I have shot some 5 shot groups at 100 yards around .4 inches, with no other mods to the rifle </div></div>

That is my experience as well.

I do reload, and they like 168gr Amaxes and Varget.

I like mine, the best groups I have pulled so far were .629(125gr sierra spitzers) and a .845(168 barnes). I am loading up some 155 smk's on R15 for my next load. But overall I like the rifle. It needs a better trigger. I traded a FN AR heavy barrel .308 for it have not looked back.

go for it
I got one recently, 5 shot groups you can cover with a dime with 44.5g of Varget and 165g Sierra GK BTSPs and 1" at 300 just dialing the scope in, not trying for tiny groups at 300 yards

great gun

IMO, 600's a little far for a factory 308 chaimbered LTR. Say its a .75 moa rifle, you pull .25 moa and the wind takes it .5 moa, you're talking a POI 9" from POA. On deer, that could be way out of the vitals and possibly (hopefully) a complete miss at 600. Of course, you may be enough of a pro to eliminate the wind and trigger pull influances, that would make it an almost definate kill. That said, I really like my LTR, its easily a sub moa rifle right out of the box. Like a post earlier, I never could get comfortable with the fact. HS stock. A B&C medalist tac. stock took care of that. With a lighter stock or the HS it comes with (if you're comfy with it) it will be an excellent hunting rifle. Sure dont think you'd be dissapointed with one. Good luck.

okie

PS. Another plus, the factory stock is well liked enough that it sells pretty well if you decide to change it out.