• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington 760 pump action

300zx_tt

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 18, 2021
South East Pennsylvania
Hey all, I just inherited a Remington 760 gamemaster in 30-06. Unfortunately the magazine is MIA. So I hopped on the old interweb and started googling, found a few OEM rem mags that were $70-100 bucks. So I started looking into aftermarket mags which is something I generally don’t buy, so I don’t know what’s what. Who makes a decent mag? What companies should I stay away from? Seriously debating ponying up for 2 oem mags and calling it a day since I’ve had poor luck with the few aftermarket mags I have purchased.

Just get the OEM mags. None of the aftermarket versions are any good, and the extended “high capacity” 10 rd mags are outright garbage. I really wish there was a quality mag available with more than 4 rd capacity, but don’t think anything exists that’s any good.

These are cool rifles though and can be slicked up pretty nicely. Accuracy should be reasonably good (remove the steel piece at the front of the mag tube to free float the barrel) and they don’t suffer the receiver damage issues that the semi-auto versions do. Trigger group is basically Rem 870 and most parts interchange. Rem 870 youth model stocks fit.

And if you get the urge to rebarrel in a different chambering, anything based on the .473” case head is easily done, also including the 35 Rem even though it’s case head is slightly smaller (Remington used the same bolts for both).

I’ve had a few of these for various uses but my current one in 35 Rem is mainly used for suppressed heavy subsonics. Fun rifle in that role.

Just get the OEM mags. None of the aftermarket versions are any good, and the extended “high capacity” 10 rd mags are outright garbage. I really wish there was a quality mag available with more than 4 rd capacity, but don’t think anything exists that’s any good.

These are cool rifles though and can be slicked up pretty nicely. Accuracy should be reasonably good (remove the steel piece at the front of the mag tube to free float the barrel) and they don’t suffer the receiver damage issues that the semi-auto versions do. Trigger group is basically Rem 870 and most parts interchange. Rem 870 youth model stocks fit.

And if you get the urge to rebarrel in a different chambering, anything based on the .473” case head is easily done, also including the 35 Rem even though it’s case head is slightly smaller (Remington used the same bolts for both).

I’ve had a few of these for various uses but my current one in 35 Rem is mainly used for suppressed heavy subsonics. Fun rifle in that role.
I figured as much. I’ve never had good luck with cheap/ aftermarket mags. Found a few on Feebay, which I try not to support, but it’s the only place I’ve found them under $65 bucks

good to know the other info! Thanks!

As an option, you can also use 742/7400 semi-auto mags as well...just be aware they will lock back the action after the last round. This will give you a cheaper option, as 742/7400 mags are more plentiful, cheaper, and easier to find.

Here in Aussieville we have thousands of them. The best magazines were lucky13. They were called "unimag".

MDT got a hold of a few of these, and are soon to be releasing them under their own brand called Mamba mag.

I fully expect a 760 /7600 for 308 / 30-06 to come out in year or so.

7600 30-06 magazine out of stock, but you get the idea.

Maybe with Remington being back in business, they'll be available again. That's what drove the price up. Off the top of my head, they were 30-40$ a piece. I regret not picking up a few more!

Don't worry about caliber stampings. They are either short or long action mags. 308 family and 3006 family. The short actions have a small block in the rear. You'll run into some mags marked with several LA rounds...some 3006, 280, 35 Whelen etc. Theyll all work.

I've never found an aftermarket mag that works.