• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Gunsmithing Remington 870 tactical build

Furtaker_.223

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 22, 2010
Columbia IL
www.snipershide.com
Guys I am looking for some options on a remington 870 tactical build.

I have been thinking on maybee 3 gun compition. Don't know just yet.
But, what stock to use, adjustable stock? What forend, threaded for break?

I also thought about guncoating. So many options. I have never had a scatter gun like this, so this is going to be a fun build. I did a search but did not find anything. So sorry if this a duplicate.

Your input will be greatly appreciated.

Re: Remington 870 tactical build

nighthawk does 870's, vang comp those are two that comes immediately to mind. i like my vang comp.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: furtaker_.223</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Guys I am looking for some options on a remington 870 tactical build.

I have been thinking on maybee 3 gun compition. Don't know just yet.
But, what stock to use, adjustable stock? What forend, threaded for break?

I also thought about guncoating. So many options. I have never had a scatter gun like this, so this is going to be a fun build. I did a search but did not find anything. So sorry if this a duplicate.

Your input will be greatly appreciated. </div></div>

I do quite a few Custom 870's using Skunkworks proprietary components and methods. The one pictured here is a 13.5" CQB/Breacher using Skunkworks sights, rail, Breaching Standoff, One Shot Ext, Safety, Follower and it has the Skunkworks action and trigger work. I do a number of different 18" packages as well.

20zwc5h.jpg

1195kbt.jpg

i forgot you did them mike, well there ya go bro. go skunkworks

Damn Mike, This is one sweet scatter gun.

But, I would like to do most of the work myself. I will on the other hand have someone do the gun coating, and trigger work.

On your sights, how are thos affixed? I might have you do this type of work for me if you would? What is your turn around time?

I will be doing some searching on other accessories to go along with it.
I am hoping this is going to be as fun as my 308 custom.

I built mine starting with an older Wingmaster receiver; not sure how much truth their is to this, but my armor informed me that the express receivers were really just out of spec wingmasters, either way the finish on express models isn't that great and the trigger guard is plastic. I had my armorer rebuild the receiver with current parts, I even sent it off to Wilson Combat and had them convert it to 3" magnum. Bought a new 18" police barrel, added a Vang Comp rail/ rear sight, Wilson Combat 1 round mag extender (I am still contemplating registering it and cutting the barrel at 14 inches), Houge 12" stock, surefire fore end, and Gun Coated it myself. Without the Surefire fore end I came in about $100 less than a new 870 Police. I'm very Happy with it.

P1020210.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: furtaker_.223</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Damn Mike, This is one sweet scatter gun.

But, I would like to do most of the work myself. I will on the other hand have someone do the gun coating, and trigger work.

On your sights, how are thos affixed? I might have you do this type of work for me if you would? What is your turn around time?

I will be doing some searching on other accessories to go along with it.
I am hoping this is going to be as fun as my 308 custom. </div></div>

The front sight is silver brazed and the rail and rear sight is a combination of screws/pins. I can do the sight work for you if you want, but give me until after SHOT. We leave for SHOT on the 17th and will be back in the shop on the 24th.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: furtaker_.223</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mike,

Do you have a price list for scatter guns? As far as the guncoating, sights etc? </div></div>

I do, but I removed the shotguns from the website temporarily. Give me a call at the shop on Monday or shoot me a PM and I'll give you my cell number if you can/want to talk tomorrow....

Shotguns get damn heavy in a hurry as you hang more and more stuff on em. I would try to apply the KISS principle and do mods that make sense and you will use.

A light is a must on any tactical close range weapon like this. When I put my 870 together the surefire fore ends were the only real option available. They are nice, but super expensive. To be honest, mine recoils the bulge for the light on the fore end into my hand...and that hurts! Today, I would say put a railed fore-end on it and a 50 dollar g2X surefire light and call it a day.

I wouldn't worry about a breaching standoff unless you plan to be breaching doors with it. They look cool, but they also add weight. If you are going to put a break on it, thats another idea but I never thought shotgun recoil was unmanageable anyway.

Bighead safety is a great item and its about an 8 dollar part you can install yourself. Sights are up to you. For what you would pay to have ghost rings installed you could probably have your receiver drilled/tapped for a rail and throw a red dot sight on it that will have a better field of view.

Short barrels are nice but then you get into the class 3 restrictions and all the hoops that come with them. I would say try a friend's stock thats adjustable and find the right LOP and then buy one fixed. You have to be careful with the m4 style stocks. A lot of them move straight back from the receiver as opposed to down and back like a traditional rifle stock. It sits your cheek higher and depending on your sights that may affect POA vs POI. Happened with an adjustable stock I had. I wound up buying a shorter speed feed and not looking back.

All good thoughts to think about. I just got the scatter gun to start tearing apart and start the build.

Mike, sorry I forgot to call. I will call tomorrow sometime.

I am looking at doing a 870 soon as well. Is there any real advantage to starting with a police model or the better internals?

I have an 870 express that has the factory stock and a 20" bbl, fixed mod choke, with the rifle sights. Added a mag tube extension and a side saddle and it worked great for my 3 gun needs! Just keep in mind that for 3 gun keep it simple and practical! 8 rounds in the tube, and a side saddle is really all you need!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: furtaker_.223</div><div class="ubbcode-body">All good thoughts to think about. I just got the scatter gun to start tearing apart and start the build.

Mike, sorry I forgot to call. I will call tomorrow sometime. </div></div>

No worries. Give me a call at the shop if/when you get a chance....

If you need anything from Nighthawk you can PM me. You can also find some good gear at Mesa Tactical or Choate if you want good gear at an affordable price. If there's anything I can do to help let me know. Looks like your in good hands though.

Sorry to try and revive an old thread I just really wish I could find one of those modified LPA Ghost Ring sights, But sadly the last I heard they were not being made anymore. =( does anyone know what Breaching Standoff is on that SkunkWorks 870?