• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Remington 870 vs Mossberg 590A1

Dark Horse

Private
Minuteman
Jan 7, 2008
Albany, NY
Interested in a comparison of these 2 pump guns for a home defense application. Looking at how they handle, reliability, function and ergonomics. Don't want to turn this into a "mine is better than yours" thread, just looking for pros and cons of both.

Re: Remington 870 vs Mossberg 590A1

I have a couple of each, honestly they are both good shotguns and if you load them and use them you can't go wrong with either.

I prefer the Remington 870, I think because I've used it more and am more familiar with how it works and the assembly etc. My Mossberg 500 is noticeably lighter though.

In a pinch whichever one is behind the bedroom door is the one for me.

I like the Mossberg a little better my self but the 870 seems to have a slight edge in aftermarket parts and gunsmiths that work on them.

Mossberg is great because the safety works great right or left handed. However if you decide to run a pistol grip you can't reach the safety from a firing grip.

Also The 590's have a heavier barrel on them and metal trigger guard and safety. We use one as a patrol shotgun.

Both are great guns though.

Red apple or green apple. They both are great choices, and one is not better than the other. You truly can't pick the "wrong" one.

Both are good reliable choices. The Mossberg feels lighter. I own a 870.

Either shotgun is good. The Mossberg is easier for left hand shooters, but only if you have regular stock on it. If you put a pistol grip stock it is more difficult to access the safety. I prefer the 870 because of the fit, quality and availability of aftermarket products.

Both are amazingly reliable shotguns, either would be a wise choice.

Having said that, I've sold all my Mossbergs but kept my 870's. I just like the feel of the 870's better than the 590's. In fact I ordered another 870 on Monday, hopefully I can pick it up either today or tomorrow. I ordered the tactical version in A-TACS camo pattern, it just looked too cool not to add it to the collection I have.

They're both reliable and handle well. The 870's parts and accessories are easier to find than the 590, but it really comes down to personal preference. For me, the safety and overall feel of the Remington is better than the Mossberg, but I have no trouble handling and using each effectively. It comes down to personal preference IMO.

I have spend a good amount of time with both and I prefer the Remington, however it is a weak preference as in greater than or equal to. I would trust either one. A 500 is lighter if you have to carry it but if not heavier can help with faster follow up shots. I would see which safety is faster for you and go off of that. The 870 p is also available with a metal trigger guard if that matters to you.

Answer: whichever is loaded and ready...
Both are great coices. I have pumped so many rounds through a Mossberg that that's my choice. I have use both through various employers and find both reliable simple and functional - in short, excellent defensive guns. Oh, there is long list of suppliers for aftermarket parts for both.
Since I'm biased anyway, I'll just add that I like the way the mossberg shoulders. The stock and comb seem to fit better.

So, unless you have a lot more experience with one over the other, compare prices and go try each one. Then buy it, and forget about trying to find the 'best' one.

I've always liked 870s for all the above mentioned reasons, but just got a mossberg 500 (for free!?), and I think I prefer the location of the slide release and safety on it. Disassembly is simpler for the 870 though..

Both are great, but IMO...

M870 for Ducks and Clays, M500 for breaching and non-lethal munitions, <span style="font-weight: bold">Pistol or Carbine with a Light</span> for home defense.

I am so back and forth on this I am really stuck. Personally I have a Mossberg 590 that I purchased years ago. It's stock, but with all the features the 590 is known for. Minus the metal trigger-guard and TS.

I like the capacity. I light the weight. I like manual or arms. I am surrounded by professionals who all run 870s of one flavor or another (Benelli as well). They all claim that under heavy use (i.e. classes), they see Mossbergs failing. The main things they cite are the TS breaking (plastic but you can get metal ones from Vang Comp) and the pump rails binding.

Haven't made up my mind yet.

Regards,
Greyson

Both are very reliable weapons, go shoot both before spending your money.
For HD I prefer the 870 with a pistol grip.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MrLowandSlow</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Red apple or green apple. They both are great choices, and one is not better than the other. You truly can't pick the "wrong" one. </div></div>I agree. Both are fantastic shotguns, so it comes down to personal preference. I tend to lean towards the Mossberg, probably because I own one with the ghost ring sights. I call it my Zombie gun. I keep it loaded with standard 2-3/4 single "0" buckshot.

I have owned a lot of 870's over the years and currently have an 870 HD, a Mossberg 500 breacher and a Mossberg 590A1 6 shot with the 18.5" barrel. The 870's feel a little smoother but I like the safety location on the Mossbergs.

I also like that you can replace the magazine tube if it gets damaged on the Mossbergs where the 870's are soldered in to the receiver.

If I needed one in a hurry it wouldn't matter to me which one I grabbed, they are both great shotguns.

I replaced the stock on the 870 with a Speedfeed youth stock and on the 590A1 with an Aimpro Hogue 13", I think this is a must [the normal short Hogue is a 12" which I find too short, Aimpro had them make a special run of 13" for them]

Like the posts before me, pick one and go with it. But if you go with a Rem/mos don’t buy one of each, keep it simple. The safety/slide release is very different between the two. its not a good idea to get awoke in the middle of the night, grab a shotgun and try to figure out which one is in hand and fumble for the safety. Just my 2cents

Owned two 870s and sold them. I have the 590A1 and I prefer it over the 870s...I like the safety position and for me I can reload faster with the 590A1.

I've owned, at one time or other 8, 870's over the years. You can't argue with success, with 12+ million 870's sold for every conceivable purpose you can't go wrong with one.... Just a thought....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: willy7586</div><div class="ubbcode-body">But if you go with a Rem/mos don’t buy one of each, keep it simple. </div></div>

I bought one of each and I just ignore the 870. I keep it oiled though b/c the heavy steel receiver can rust. I couldn't tell you which way is FIRE on the duckhunter safety and it's slower to reload because of the elevator.

I also like the captive mag cap on my M500A. More simple and one less piece to lose.

I will take a.870 over the 500 or 590 any day. The mossbergs will drop the live shell out the bottom if you don't rack the slide hard all the way back. I've never had an issue in over 4000 rounds between field, woods, trap, and sheet on my 870. But dropped a lot of rounds out of the 590 at just the range.

No this problem is not just one specific 590. It has happened on 8 different 590's from different year makes, one 500, and a maverick

I owned a mossy 590, it was built like a tank, but drove like one too. i like the 870 action better, but for the smoothest pump shotty action i have ever felt was a Winchester 1200

but what i really want in a shotgun is an AA-12

but not to sure why this is in the suppressor section

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Whisky Shot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

but not to sure why this is in the suppressor section </div></div>

Because there is no shotgun section

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DocHoliday13</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The mossbergs will drop the live shell out the bottom if you don't rack the slide hard all the way back... dropped a lot of rounds out of the 590 at just the range.
</div></div>

This is odd, b/c I can't really picture how this is happening... is it dropping from the bottom, or the ejection port?

I've watched an Infantry company of total noobs become shotgun swashbucklers with M500s and I've never seen this happen once.

If you are having a problem with short stroking, you should correct your technique though. From your testimonial, it sounds like the M870 may be a more forgiving platform, but the issue still needs to be corrected.

Love me the 870. Decades of operational use and hunting use in some of the crappiest environments possible. Never a hitch while all of the fancier scatterguns failed. Back in the day the Mossberg was a cheaper, lesser weapon but everything I hear indicates that has changed and the 590 is reported to be excellent. But I have never had a reason to try it given how well the 870 works. I have to believe that it would come down to personal preference as they are both apparently quality, functional firearms.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VTgunner</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Whisky Shot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Because there is no shotgun section </div></div>

And the suppressor section seemed like the next best choice?
grin.gif

OP: you'll be happy with either. I prefer the 870 a little bit more, but that's only because I grew up with one...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Mossberg is great because the safety works great right or left handed. However if you decide to run a pistol grip you can't reach the safety from a firing grip.

</div></div>

I own one of each also, however the statement above is the sole reason my 500 is the home defense choice. Both work first time, everytime, both are extremely durable. however my wife or sons can easily operate the safety on the 500. in my house its not personal defense, its family. we all can run what is available.

Trying to put together a Pros and Cons for these two weapons in a home defense comparison is like comparing apples and apples.

If you plan on doing anything else with the weapon other than home defense, such as 3-gun matches, hard consistent training or patrol (depending on your profession) I would recommend the Remington 870 as it is more durable and would be more of a single user weapon.

regardless of your choice, opt for three post sights or ghost rings over the bead, my 500 bead warped and fell out after a long weekend of serious training.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Proud Noob</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VTgunner</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Whisky Shot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Because there is no shotgun section </div></div>

And the suppressor section seemed like the next best choice?
grin.gif

OP: you'll be happy with either. I prefer the 870 a little bit more, but that's only because I grew up with one... </div></div>

you can suppress alot of things with a 12 gauge!
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Whisky Shot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I owned a mossy 590, it was built like a tank, but drove like one too. i like the 870 action better, but for the smoothest pump shotty action i have ever felt was a Winchester 1200

but what i really want in a shotgun is an AA-12

For anyone questioning why this is in the suppressor section, it was in the sidearm/suppressor section before it was split into two separate sections.

As far the guns, I have held both and the Mossberg felt better to me and came to bear on target easier with the ghost rings sights. I have now added another dilemma to this because the Remington 887 Nitro Mag Tactical felt the best out of the three. I know it goes against the grain, but it just seemed to fit me better.