• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

remington brass wtf

aloreman

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 19, 2011
orangeville pa
a few weeks ago i was shooting off 40 remington core loks in my 300 mag for the brass and noticed 1 cartridge made the bolt hard to lift. reloaded the ammo and went hunting. shot a deer and had a hard time opening the bolt again. 17 of the reloads worked just fine. Primer was completly flat and the head had expanded .02 with an ejector mark on the head. resized the brass and another peice and filled them with water. weighed the cases and the expanded peice weighed 3 grains less than the other.

Re: remington brass wtf

what rifle are you shooting ?

i have noticed alot of the cheaper 700s from say academy , have the same problem,, my syndero had that issuse as well ,, it do see it more in the higher cal. 300 ex

dont really know what the deal is

Is there a question in this thread somewhere? Wouldn't be the first rifle to have sticky bolt lift with a factory round. Being a magnum if you collet sized or neck sized that piece of brass was destined to be trouble again immediately.
Remington rifle was the culprit? Funny, I was gonna say it is probably a Savage. Doesn't sound like a gun problem to me. Sounds like improperly sized brass maybe. I can tell you this 3 grains isn't much in a 300win mag case. If lighter cases equated to larger capacity, and I am most certainly not saying it does, then that would have led to less pressure. Now do you mean it held 3 grains less water because that might make a difference. But you didn't say that. Did you trim the cases before you checked water capacity? If you didn't weigh each case, fill with water and weigh again and subtract the weight of each case repectively then you haven't determined anything. I don't know if I answered whatever question you had or not. I don't think you have a problem. Remington factory ammo has always flattened primers in any gun I ever used the stuff. Hot factory ammo is nothing to get worked up over.

it was a reload for my browning a bolt using a 200 grain nosler partition and 69.5 grains of 4831 powder. absolutly no pressure signs in the other rounds ive fired. probably fired 35 or more of this load. only issue is with that one peice of brass. brass was full length sized and trimmer then weighed fillid with water and weighed again.

tried ten cases all were within 2-3 tenths of a grain. each powder charge was weight on an ohaus scale, just trying to figure out what went wrong.

only thing i could come up with is that with the 3 grain less internal volume at a near max load that was what caused my prssure issue. trying to figure it out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Primer was completly flat and the head had expanded <span style="color: #FF0000">.02</span> with an ejector mark on the head. </div></div>

If you didn't miss a zero, I'm surprised the rifle survived.

Throw that piece of brass out, problem solved. Any manufacturer can have bad piece of brass in the mix. I saw recently an entire batch of RWS brass that was downright dangerous. If everthing else is normal then it was a lucky(actually unlucky) draw. I wouldn't worry about it but I would probably switch to Winchester brass. Remington brass does not seem to be as good as it was 15-20 years ago.

always weigh and measure my brass for my match rifles but guess its time to start doing it for hunting loads as well

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: armorpl8chikn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Throw that piece of brass out, problem solved. Any manufacturer can have bad piece of brass in the mix. I saw recently an entire batch of RWS brass that was downright dangerous. If everthing else is normal then it was a lucky(actually unlucky) draw. I wouldn't worry about it but I would probably switch to Winchester brass. Remington brass does not seem to be as good as it was 15-20 years ago. </div></div>

what was the problem you saw with the RWS brass? i just bought a bunch of 300 win mag and i would like to know what to look for.

A friend got some for a price I thought was too good to be true. The brass littrally had fine cracks in it on the first firing. The cracks were in the body almost like rumblings of a head separation only about 1 inch forward of the head. I can tell you in 30 years I have nevr seen anything like it. I think maybe the metalurgy was off on this batch of brass. Yours may be fine. If you shoot it and anything looks amiss let me know in a PM and we can compare notes.

As far as fine cracks you saw-

In an interview KB of AAC was talking about how Remington brass was double struck (I'm reading that as harder), so that 300BLK could be loaded hotter, more power in the little case to make the 300BLK more serious.

Obviously harder would also imply less ductile. Maybe you've run into a situation where less ductile is a problem.

Some annealing would soften the brass

GA,
I don't plan to highjack this thread. Go back and read the thread from the beginning. I have not seen any cracks in Remington brass. The cracks I have mentioned are too far down the case to "anneal" unless you want to die. Annealing any part of the body of a case is best left to a metalurgist.