• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Gunsmithing Remington issue

mb121

Nomad
Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 5, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Purchased a new Remington 5r and have found some issues. The recoil lug is canted, but as I have been reading from here easy to fix with a hammer and a solid wack. The bolt release is loose and rattles if moved around or shaken. What is a fix to this issue?

Two of the more serious issues that I have found are that it appears that the base screw holes are misaligned. Pictures shown below:

I understand that one option is to have the receiver trued and 8-40 screws and base installed. Would bedding the base solve anything?

On further look over of the rifle while cleaning it Thursday or Friday I noticed a dent/mark in the chamber rim of the barrel at the 3 o' clock:

Will this affect anything especially accuracy?

Now considering the quality of the QC of the rifle would it even be worth the loss of time to have it sent back to Remington in the slight hope that they might fix it correctly? This is the second rifle that I have purchased from Remington that has shown up with defects (Remington 700 LR is currently at their repair shop), which leads me to have zero confidence of their manufacture process. Which concerns me about their ability to possibly repair it. Should I just spend the cash and send it off to another smith or roll the dice with a Remington repair shop?

I would send it back to Remington.

If you wanted to fix the canted lug, unscrew the barrel, realign it and re-torque it. to align the screw holes, you'll need to open them up to 8-40- that may prove difficult with the amount those are off. The mark is on the barrel tenon- it has nothing to do with accuracy.

You mention "QC", my understanding is they don't pull every gun, only a sample every so often. That may be dated info though.

Good to know about the mark on the barrel tenon. The rifle has been sent back to Remington, this makes both the Remington 5r and 700 LR sent in for repairs. Hopefully they correct it.

You mention "QC", my understanding is they don't pull every gun, only a sample every so often. That may be dated info though.
It doesn't matter what industry you are talking about, the QC department is only ever going to see a small percentage of the total output. It wouldn't be economically feasible to run every single item through QC, let alone trying to explain to the masses that they now have to wait XXX days due to the QC backlog or increase the price $XXX.XX to offset the need to hire more personnel.

We have a Weatherby action in the safe that the scope mount holes are so off of true that it isn't funny. Its going back to them as soon as we get a return authorization.

Yes and no, the issue is the lemming move to lean styles vs the old six sigma approach to quality. The question is what is Remington doing with the data once it is received. Which quality standard are they using?

Some scoff at the Tikka rifle, but take a close look at one. Look how well the parts fit together. The receiver and bottom metal(plastic) are cut so perfect that painting the stock makes it difficult to seat.

I do agree that many American manufactures are doing more with less and have let quality fall to the wayside, products become consumable with lifetime warranties vs a one time quality product.

To OP, good move to send it back, hopefully they will fix it correctly or just send you a new rifle.

If you bought it locally and it's unfired, why not see if the dealer will exchange it for another?

Unfortunately, many retailers have an "all sales final" on firearms and ammunition. CYA and all that.

I'm reluctant to defend Remington's quality, but I learned several years ago in Statistical Process Control (SPC) for ISO9000 certification that a quality product is one that meets the customers' specifications--period. In Remington's case, they make thousands of rifles a year and most go to people that are not type-A anal-retentive perfectionists like us. From an SPC standpoint, their product is most likely "In Control" as it meets the specifications of the majority of its customers. Even an "In Control" process will result in 3 of every 1000 products out of specification. We seem to see a lot of the worst here, but how many do we not see that do meet the customers' satisfaction? I don't know if Remington would let us see their inspection results, but I'm willing to bet that their process is "In Control".

Good luck, hope they make it right for you. All pretty significant issues if you ask me.

Quick update:
Spoke with a Remington rep, the rifle has been received and looked over. Currently they have replaced the whole barreled action, the stock sounds to be the only thing that remains. Stated that it is awaiting inspection, test fire, and shipment. Hopefully it has been fixed.

Side note, the 700 LR was returned still with the chamber dent, much deeper and longer than the one on the 5r. Got rid of it, now have some extra funds that will be either placed to a new stock or correcting the 5r if Remington doesn't fix things to start a custom build.