• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington M700 P/PSS/LTR

Saber329

Private
Minuteman
Nov 28, 2018
I'm searching for my first precision bolt gun in a Remington 700. I can easily identify the LTR due to its fluted barrel, however other rifles are a little harder.

Were the older Police or PSS rifles stamped with a designation that identified them as such?

Also, I've noticed on Gunbroker, some rifles being sold as the AAC-SD rifles having jeweled bolts rather than a matte finish and some are lacking the AAC-SD stamping on the left side of the receiver. Is this normal or are the sellers unaware of what they have?

Thanks.

If memory serves the (circa 2000-2007) R700 .308 PSS had had a black parkerized finish w/24” 1-12 twist barrel.
It was in a black HS precision Police stock with beaver tail palm swell fore end with two bipod studs.
Additionally, the R700 .308 VS of that era with a 24” 1-12 barrel was the exact same rifle, other than the finish, which was blued and the bolt which was jeweled and the HS precision Varmint stock (shorter fore end) with one bipod stud.
These are in the F and G prefix range.
I’ve still got my 2004 R700 VS “F” prefix 308 action and it’s on its fourth barrel.

why a rem700?
I currently have Badger Ordnance rails to fit both long and short action M700 rifles and a couple Trigger Tech triggers.

I've hunted with 700s since I was a kid.

Why not?

What else would you recommend?

I currently have Badger Ordnance rails to fit both long and short action M700 rifles and a couple Trigger Tech triggers.

Why not?

Something cool and from this millennium

If you do go rem700 don’t pay more for a fancy model name but the same action and barrel. Get a cheap rem and put a remage barrel on it.

I have had several of the LTR, 5R, and P rifles. My favorite being the 5r in 223. The stainless rifles all were better actions. Easily. Stocks on these differed as well. Length and palm swell. Pad thickness was minimum on the 223 guns. Triggers evolved thru production.

Reactions: lash
The 700P was nothing more than an SPS varmint with a different finish and a different stock, they did eventually upgrade the trigger.

The 700 PSS was more or less, hand selected, they quit making those in the late nineties, very early 2000's. I saw a grand total of ONE in the wild, it was a VERY nice rifle.

I bought a 5R mil-spec back in about 2009, came with an X mark trigger that was actually pretty decent.
It was incredibly accurate.

If memory serves, the pic rails would also fit a Bergara. That is not a good reason to buy a specific brand of rifle, you can sell the pic rails and buy a Howa oryx.

I have had a total of one Howa. POS does not equate to PSS.
To quote the warranty smith, I get these back like that by the pallets full.
Clean used 5R’s are out there.Some interesting re barreled 700’s are out there. Better gamble.

Reactions: lash
I have had a total of one Howa. POS does not equate to PSS.
To quote the warranty smith, I get these back like that by the pallets full.
Clean used 5R’s are out there.Some interesting re barreled 700’s are out there. Better gamble.
Not my experience.

Get a Bergara HMR 308. Or a Terrain model if you don't like "tactical/Competition" stocks.

Highlights:
-Remington 700 footprint
-Remington 700 scope mounts
-Better than 700 action
-Better barrel
-700 aftermarket works for the Bergara
-1/10 twist for 308 and not the old AF 1/12 and 1/11.25

Retails around $1k most street or used prices are under $900 for the HMR. The terrain maybe a little more.

Bergara-B14-Series-HMR-6-5-Creedmoor-043125014415_image1__41567.1556357210.jpg

hardware-bergara-b14-wilderness-terrain_inset1.jpeg

Reactions: Tx_Aggie
@Saber329

I have a 700 5R SS (ah...gen 2...don't you love these names..sigh) and like it a lot. Basic deer gun in .308 for me with 20" barrel but they were made with 24" also.

I did have the action bedded into the aluminum bedding block of the HS stock and that was worthwhile.

Put a reasonable brake on it, contoured to the barrel....sort of worth while unless you are on the bench next to me.

Put a Jewel trigger in it and that was DEF worthwhile.

Sent it to Joe Ducos to put Terry Cross' KMW Loggerhead adjustable comb kit in it...vastly worthwhile.

Oh, finally, I replaced the two sling swivel studs on the fore end with Seekins PIC adapter that screwed right into the same holes/captive fasteners and also provides a sling attachment point. Worthwhile for bench shooting and such.

Best of luck.

Reactions: SporterII
My R700 mil-spec 5R was an amazing shooting rifle!! I got it in .308, with a 1:11.25 twist barrel. The HS precision stock was stiff and an all around great rifle. Me personally, I would look for a mil-spec 5R in .308. The barrel will last a very long time!

Last edited:
I'll take a look at the Bergara and the Seekins PIC adapter.

For you guys that are shooting the slower twist, what's the heaviest rounds your able to put on target with accuracy; say minute-of-bad-guy?

I'll look into the 5R as well, but right now I have a line on an M700 AAC-SD for a decent price.

For you guys that are shooting the slower twist, what's the heaviest rounds your able to put on target with accuracy; say minute-of-bad-guy?

I'll look into the 5R as well, but right now I have a line on an M700 AAC-SD for a decent price.
A 1-12" twist stabilizes the 175 SMK with no issues.
The AAC-SD model comes with a 1-10" twist, so your good there.
It better be a really good deal, as you'll end up with a new stock or chassis and a new trigger, so just figure those into the price.
A really nice upgrade for the stock that still uses the BDL floorplate is the B&C M40 stock, for about 285.

Why not?

zermatt origin
rem700 inlet
rem700 triggers
prefit barrels available from TONS of different places (just picked up proof steel prefits for sub $500)
better feel in every way
dont need to spend any money to make it function (bolt release, extraction, ejection, bolt handle timing, blueprinting etc etc)

Reactions: Steel head

My last 2 700p's I couldn't get them to do much better than 1moa with 175gr. HSM 168 match or FGMM 168 did about 3/4moa ish. I only shoot factory ammo and there could have been other limiting factors so YMMV.

The biggest issue here is you said "precision rifle" Remington 700s are everything but "precision". You can add a nice stock and all the fixings and may get it down, close to, a consistent sub MOA gun but at the end of the day you still have a factory barreled action that isn't square, the bore is more than likely not centered and the chamber is purely cut for function with a wide selection of ammo. Assuming Remington was having a good day and QC was awake on the job. You'll probably have feeding and extraction issues (Not a lot, but they will happen).

I mentioned the Bergara because for close to the same money you are going to reduce the shortcomings of a factory built Remy. From people who have a lot of pride in their guns and go the extra mile. Not to say Bergara is perfect but it's a lot better for your dollar.

Don't misunderstand me I love 700s there are just better factory options out there.

My last 2 700p's I couldn't get them to do much better than 1moa with 175gr. HSM 168 match or FGMM 168 did about 3/4moa ish. I only shoot factory ammo and there could have been other limiting factors so YMMV.

The biggest issue here is you said "precision rifle" Remington 700s are everything but "precision". You can add a nice stock and all the fixings and may get it down, close to, a consistent sub MOA gun but at the end of the day you still have a factory barreled action that isn't square, the bore is more than likely not centered and the chamber is purely cut for function with a wide selection of ammo. Assuming Remington was having a good day and QC was awake on the job. You'll probably have feeding and extraction issues (Not a lot, but they will happen).

I mentioned the Bergara because for close to the same money you are going to reduce the shortcomings of a factory built Remy. From people who have a lot of pride in their guns and go the extra mile. Not to say Bergara is perfect but it's a lot better for your dollar.

Don't misunderstand me I love 700s there are just better factory options out there.
I definitely like the Bergara Wilderness pictured above, but would like to handle one. All up, it would be a heavy rifle, but I suppose no heavier than the route I'm currently going down.

Get a Bergara HMR 308. Or a Terrain model if you don't like "tactical/Competition" stocks.

Highlights:
-Remington 700 footprint
-Remington 700 scope mounts
-Better than 700 action
-Better barrel
-700 aftermarket works for the Bergara
-1/10 twist for 308 and not the old AF 1/12 and 1/11.25

Retails around $1k most street or used prices are under $900 for the HMR. The terrain maybe a little more.

View attachment 7798783
View attachment 7798784
Do you know the barrel diameter for the Terrain Wilderness? Is the barrel thick enough to run a can?

Also, what about the Springfield Waypoint in 308? Whatever route I go, I'm eventually putting a can on it.

Do you know the barrel diameter for the Terrain Wilderness? Is the barrel thick enough to run a can?

Also, what about the Springfield Waypoint in 308? Whatever route I go, I'm eventually putting a can on it.
I don’t know the actual diameter of the wilderness. I have an HMR and I wouldn’t hesitate to run a can on it.

No experience with the Springfield. Waiting on one to show up at the gun store.

I'm searching for my first precision bolt gun in a Remington 700. I can easily identify the LTR due to its fluted barrel, however other rifles are a little harder.

Were the older Police or PSS rifles stamped with a designation that identified them as such?

Also, I've noticed on Gunbroker, some rifles being sold as the AAC-SD rifles having jeweled bolts rather than a matte finish and some are lacking the AAC-SD stamping on the left side of the receiver. Is this normal or are the sellers unaware of what they have?

Thanks.
First if all, thanks for the add to the forum..

I have a Remington 700 PSS in .308 cal. that I purchased new on 8/22/1992 from The Traders in San Leandro, CA for the princely sum of $539.97. I also purchased a Leupold VX-III 3.5x10x Police Standard riflescope ($339.97) and Leupold rings ($46.00) for it at the same time. It got zero use during the last 30 years (except for an abbreviated 2 week US Army sniper course for CA Nasty Guard members).

I was recently doing an inventory of the bunker for future estate purposes when I came across it way in the back of the vault. Bored & needing a new project, I decided to give the PSS a modern day "tune-up", so I installed a Timney 533 2-stage trigger, had the barrel threaded for a AB Raptor suppressor and installed a Wayne 10 rd. detachable magazine. After completing those mods, my first trip to the range with my PSS in over 3 decades turned out to be a very enjoyable experience. It's quite the shooter, even with an old, cross eye dominant fart like myself behind the controls.

My question is a simple one. Most of the information that I find online from Remington says that the original Remington 700 PSS came with a 26" barrel, but as evidenced by the attached pictures of the box end and owner's information, mine came with a 24" barrel. Did the supposed 26" barrel model come along later in the production of the PSS, or is that just a typo on Remington's part? It really doesn't make any difference, as my PSS is currently 5'+ in length right now with the suppressor attached. I'd just like to know if the PSS was actually made in two barrel length or somebody mis-measured.

What say ye & thanks again for adding me to the forum...

Attachments

• Remington 700 PSS.jpg
    Remington 700 PSS.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 102
  • Remington 700 PSS 2.jpg
    Remington 700 PSS 2.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 83
All my Rem700 (5R) are half MOA or better. Just bed the scope base, hang a timney trigger, and go have fun. The H&S stock isn't too bad, but I put mine in McRee folding chassis. The ones that come with Hogue stock, you'll need a new stock or chassis right away.

I have a Remington 700 PSS in .308 cal. that I purchased new on 8/22/1992 from The Traders in San Leandro, CA for the princely sum of $539.97. I also purchased a Leupold VX-III 3.5x10x Police Standard riflescope ($339.97) and Leupold rings ($46.00) for it at the same time. It got zero use during the last 30 years (except for an abbreviated 2 week US Army sniper course for CA Nasty Guard members).

I was recently doing an inventory of the bunker for future estate purposes when I came across it way in the back of the vault. Bored & needing a new project, I decided to give the PSS a modern day "tune-up", so I installed a Timney 533 2-stage trigger, had the barrel threaded for a AB Raptor suppressor and installed a Wayne 10 rd. detachable magazine. After completing those mods, my first trip to the range with my PSS in over 3 decades turned out to be a very enjoyable experience. It's quite the shooter, even with an old, cross eye dominant fart like myself behind the controls.

My question is a simple one. Most of the information that I find online from Remington says that the original Remington 700 PSS came with a 26" barrel, but as evidenced by the attached pictures of the box end and owner's information, mine came with a 24" barrel. Did the supposed 26" barrel model come along later in the production of the PSS, or is that just a typo on Remington's part? It really doesn't make any difference, as my PSS is currently 5'+ in length right now with the suppressor attached. I'd just like to know if the PSS was actually made in two barrel length or somebody mis-measured.

That box is marked PSS not 700P.
It is hard to find much info on what was done at the factory, but a PSS (which stood for police sharp shooter or sniper special depending on who you believe), was not a rack grade rifle pulled off the assembly line. Some say it was semi custom from their custom shop, they have a well earned reputation.
The 700P, with the 26" barrel was nothing more than a 700 SPS Varmint, pulled off the regular production line, parkerized and put in an HS Precision stock. Later models had 40X triggers installed.
I'm sure the change happened around the time they were bought out by the freedom group and quality began to nosedive.

That box is marked PSS not 700P.
It is hard to find much info on what was done at the factory, but a PSS (which stood for police sharp shooter or sniper special depending on who you believe), was not a rack grade rifle pulled off the assembly line. Some say it was semi custom from their custom shop, they have a well earned reputation.
The 700P, with the 26" barrel was nothing more than a 700 SPS Varmint, pulled off the regular production line, parkerized and put in an HS Precision stock. Later models had 40X triggers installed.
I'm sure the change happened around the time they were bought out by the freedom group and quality began to nosedive.
Here's one link that states that "the standard PSS rifle sports a regular production, hammer-forged, 26-inch barrel of what might be termed medium-heavy" (https://smallarmsreview.com/remingtons-black-rifle-the-model-700-p-pss/) & another link that states that the PSS came with a 26" barrel (http://armusa.com/RemingtonModel700_PSS_LTR_Page.htm). Since the one that I purchased was probably an early model (or not?), somewhere along the line the 26" barrel PSS version information/mis-information originated. Kind of hard to believe that manufacturers don't keep better records but maybe that's why Remington has gone thru 1, 2 or 3 bankruptcies...

Reactions: Hobo Hilton
Something cool and from this millennium

If you do go rem700 don’t pay more for a fancy model name but the same action and barrel. Get a cheap rem and put a remage barrel on it.
If youre going factory don't get one of the POS parkerized of whatever it is finished actions find a nice blued or stainless actions.

Good old Remington and DuPont days.

Reactions: Archmark
Good old Remington and DuPont days.
Until I dug out the box the other day & looked at the end label, I wasn't even aware that Dupont was associated with and/or a former owner of Remington. I'll do a little research on the ownership of the company. Is it safe to say that Remington's "slide" began when Dupont divested itself of the company (Remington)? Personally I don't feel that that when a firearms maker is acquired by another firm, whether firearms related or not. Perfect example is Ruger acquiring Marlin. I've been a Ruger "hater" ever since the late, not so great Bill Ruger publicly announced his support for the original "Assault Weapons Ban", EXCEPT for his company's Mini-14 & Ruger high capacity magazines. It remains to be seen if Ruger will run Marlin into the ground. I know I won't buy either brand in the future...

Reactions: Hkmiller
There are still ways to approach the R700 that make it a very viable rifle. Just ask Mike R. @ Tacops. I can vouch for his work and will continue to recommend him as long as he is building rifles.