• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing Remington model 7 magazine length

350 kid

Private
Minuteman
Aug 28, 2011
Pa
I understand that the wyatt's 700 short action magazine box will not fit in a model 7.Is there anyway i can make the magazine longer so i can seat bullets to a longer oal? 260 cal.mag is 2.83 oal.

Re: Remington model 7 magazine length

Are you sure? The 260 model 7 I just sold I was loading to just shy of 2.800 at 2.775 Pretty sure the factory mag is the same length as a regular model 700 SA box,

I'm sure.It's 2.830. Some 700 short actions are 2.8,I know i own several.I want to make the mag longer but a wyatt's won't work. maybe i could grind the inside of the box to gain .020 or .040?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 350 Kid</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm sure.It's 2.830. Some 700 short actions are 2.8,I know i own several.I want to make the mag longer but a wyatt's won't work. maybe i could grind the inside of the box to gain .020 or .040? </div></div>

You're sure of what?
Your original post says mag is 2.3 but this says you're sure it is 2.830.
Would be nice if someone made a DBM for the M7. I think I have seen where R700 actions were modified to work with longer AW mags. Maybe one of our innovative builders here could come up with a DBM/action mod for the M7 and AICS mags??
I'd be interested.

Mr Dixon can they be made longer?It would have to be up front because the trigger is behind.

Anything is possible however fiddling with a feedramp to get a longer coal isn't a practice I'm real excited about. That ramp is also the lower lug abutment. Robbing material just for the sake of a longer seating depth isn't a practice I advocate. Many smiths do it and there prolly 10's of thousands of guns built this way that shoot just fine.

I still prefer to leave it alone.

C.

Thank you Chad.Your work is awesome.I love your posts.