• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington R5 Milspec - First Range Session

Re: Remington R5 Milspec - First Range Session

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: crackerbacks</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok. This may be a stupid question but what is the actual model of a 5R? I have seen some 700's with 5R but that stupid looking triangle barrel.</div></div>

Remington 700, model 29663

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Blackops_2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I had mine bedded in a McMillan A-5, gunsmith took the creep out of the trigger and adjusted it to 1lb. I think it's worth it. So it takes alot of my error out of it. But i still plan on giving it a complete overhall to the point all thats left is the action. I plan on putting a KMW bolt knob on it, surgeon bottom metal, and a bartelin m40/m24 5R, then getting it painted.

36028_1337146910490_1285620147_30773994_326575_n.jpg

</div></div>

I have started to upgrade my 5R based on this configuration:

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1473381

After I got an AICS 2.0, I found that the comb was too high for me, and I had to bend neck to be able to look through the stock. Trade the stock off. The knob and FTE brake looked very cool on stainless steel background

How much does the McMillan stock set-up cost you? The price of the stock is 500-600, but I guess you need to add bottom metal and bedding?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: yej0001</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I have started to upgrade my 5R based on this configuration:

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1473381

After I got an AICS 2.0, I found that the comb was too high for me, and I had to bend neck to be able to look through the stock. Trade the stock off. The knob and FTE brake looked very cool on stainless steel background

How much does the McMillan stock set-up cost you? The price of the stock is 500-600, but I guess you need to add bottom metal and bedding?</div></div>

If i remember right i payed 525$ for my A5, and then pillar glass bedding cost me 321$ so around 850 when it was all said and done. I really wanted the A5 with all the bells and whistles but honestly i don't need an adjustable cheek piece or adjustable LOP. Idk i guess i got lucky and the stock just fits me. I do love the stock though. I just need to get around to finishing it. I've had the rifle for two years now and have just now shot it a good bit and chronographed it.

I have a new unfired 300 win 5R and I am wondering if any one is shooting 300 win 5r and if so what loads are working for them? Still need to get base rings and scope....

I am about a heart beat away from purchasing a new 5R in a 300 win mag...anyone shooting big metal at 600 yards?

While trying to get rid of my inconsistent loads the last 3 shots i shot today must've been spot on. For a factory rifle its impressing me. Last 3 shots circled @ 300yds.
eqs9yt.jpg

Originally Posted By: yej0001The only complaint I have for my 5R is the stiff trigger. In fact I may get rid of it because of that. Also debating whether to throw the towel and give it an overhaul - adding an FTE brake, tactical knob, and jewell trigger pack, possibly a new stock

I have the old style Remington in my 5R. Tuned to 2Lbs, no creep, breaks sweet.

Second time at the range with my Remington R5 Milspec/USO ST-10.

100 yards
Front rest/rear bag
Temperature 52 degrees
Winds 20 gusting to 30 MPH
Ammo surplus FN 7.62mm Ball, 1981

Best group .563 down from .680 inches. Center group sight-in.

Added a 1.5 lb Timney trigger, still shooting the cheap stuff. I'm determined to shoot a .5 inch group before I buy good ammo.

R5031811_0563.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dbsinh20</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Second time at the range with my Remington R5 Milspec/USO ST-10.

100 yards
Front rest/rear bag
Temperature 52 degrees
Winds 20 gusting to 30 MPH
Ammo surplus FN 7.62mm Ball, 1981

Best group .563 down from .680 inches. Center group sight-in.

Added a 1.5 lb Timney trigger, still shooting the cheap stuff. I'm determined to shoot a .5 inch group before I buy good ammo.
</div></div>

Very impressive with surplus ammo!

I shot my newly acquired SSG69 last weekend with Lake City XM80 practice 308 - it did subMOA easily with 6x42 ZFM scope. I hear the German surplus in battle pack is also good ammo. Anyone tried them yet?

Got some of the German battle packs yesterday and will be shooting them this weekend with my 5R and a GI M-14.

Was talking with Jonathan at SRT before I bought my AE and he was having some pretty good results with the German surplus. I probably should have bought a battle pack, because the Prvi "match" (I use that term loosely) junk I bought to plink with turned my AI into a shotgun.
shocked.gif

mine shoots 168gr Privi match <3/4" @100yds. just got some 175gr to test, will report.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shoot4fun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My load is 175 SMK with 45 grains Varget. No pressure issues at all. And shoot good too.
</div></div>

+1 best load for mine

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MEW</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> just got some 175gr to test, will report. </div></div>

Good luck. 175 was what i was shooting and was very disappointed. But then again didn't exactly have too high expectations
grin.gif

Here is my latest groups. The center target is 3 fouling shots. This time with 175gr BTHP. Groups were in increments of .5 worked up from 43-45gr. I settled on 44gr. But i didn't do 44.5gr any justice (bottom right corner) i started getting jumpy.
Load Data:
Nosler Brass
Berger 175gr BT LR
44gr varget
FGMM 210 primers
OAL 2.800
ES: 11 SD: 4.5
jt1e6u.jpg

29p83ly.jpg

Those Mil Spec rifles one of the best factory rifles you can get. They are fun to up grade also.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: crackerbacks</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Another question...... Is barrel stamped so I know it is a 5r? </div></div>

Mine is not.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: crackerbacks</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Another question...... Is barrel stamped so I know it is a 5r? </div></div>
You could look down the barrel and see the rifling I suppose.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lochem158</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a new unfired 300 win 5R and I am wondering if any one is shooting 300 win 5r and if so what loads are working for them? Still need to get base rings and scope.... </div></div>
I have one in .300WM it's sitting in a AICS 2.0 and I had the trigger adjusted the barrel cut down and a brake put on. Ive only shot about 125 rnds of 190gr FGMM and the rifle easily outshoots me. Hitting clay pigeons at 850yds is a hoot I highly recommend it.

Karl2500

I shot this 4 shot group yesterday the gun shoots way better than I can. It is a stock 5 r with a timney trigger and a bipod. This one is marked 10th anniversary and had the x mark pro trigger.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Karl2500</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I shot this 4 shot group yesterday the gun shoots way better than I can. It is a stock 5 r with a timney trigger and a bipod. This one is marked 10th anniversary and had the x mark pro trigger. </div></div>

Nice shooting & welcome to the Hide.

I fixed your pic. Try the "Preview Post" button when inserting images.

f8021cbe.jpg

Shot this group this morning @ 300yds. Nothing incredible but ill take it. I could've been more patient and steady on my part, i feel the gun will do better. Still shooting the 175gr BT LRs over 44gr of varget.
5d15b6.jpg

back from the dead. Subed for load info. My Milspec is in the mail now. cant wait to get it! Still shopping for a scope....not sure what to run on it yet. what are you guys?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scottx88</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Try 44gr. of Varget with a 175SMK. Works great in mine.</div></div>

I'm running Berger 175gr BT LRs over 44gr varget and it does very well in my 5R also.

Gkad to see all these posts! I just got one today!!!!

I have had my 5R for a few years now. It has always seemed to like the 175 SMK over anything else. This is a typical 5 shot group @ 100yds shooting factory match BH ammo. Also does well out to 1k yds.

DSC00024.jpg

I've had a couple of 5Rs, and they have all shot great. I just wish Remington would offer them in a couple of different barrel lengths. I believe a 20" 5R would be a great seller!

I had the same "cold" results".I'm goin with varget, next time. A guy, at the range, mentioned Viht would tear up my barrel. Any input?

Where did ya shoot? I was just south of Dover, Delaware. It was cold as a witches------, and blowing hard. I had the same results, with my 5R. Nice shooting!

I've been mulling over whether to buy the 5r to start with or an sps tactical and changing the stock/ bedding it. It sounds like the 5r mil spec is the way to go. When I compared the two rifles the mil spec seemed to have a much nicer, slicker action to it than the sps.

I am interested in the 20" threaded version since I had planned on having the barrel cut down anyway. Anyone shot one of those yet? From what I've been reading on here there is a very negligible difference between the 24" and 20" barrel lengths with a .308.

I have always had 24 or 26 sticks myself, If you are going to can it or just want a compact stick, then by all means go with the threaded 20". Plus you get the flashy stainless with the 5R too..LOL

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: usmc80</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shoot4fun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My load is 175 SMK with 45 grains Varget. No pressure issues at all. And shoot good too.
</div></div>

+1 best load for mine </div></div>+1 more except runnin 178 BTHP

Am I the only guy who hasn't had good results with VARGET in a 5R? LOL

I've used VARGET for years in several other calibers with great success. The consistent 1 MOA groups I get with VARGET has me scratching my head, both RE-15 and IMR 4064 both provide consistent .5 MOA groups in my gun with 175 SMKs and Nosler CCs.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMC mustang</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Am I the only guy who hasn't had good results with VARGET in a 5R? LOL

I've used VARGET for years in several other calibers with great success. The consistent 1 MOA groups I get with VARGET has me scratching my head, both RE-15 and IMR 4064 both provide consistent .5 MOA groups in my gun with 175 SMKs and Nosler CCs. </div></div>

What I found in mine it liked to be a little dirty about 15rds fired but not to dirty no more than 80 rds fired.
I loaded mine 43.5 varget, 175smk COAL 2.830 CCI BR-2 Primers, Lapua or Nosler brass.

I'm to the range, today, with my first varget loads. Will let ya know. While at the store, I got some 4064, cause it's always been a good "go to" powder. We'll see if I come back alive. Made some "hot loads", per suggestions. 44,7 Varget ,behind a 168 BTHP. Of course, I've got some slower loads, and am"working up", with my gun. I made 10 of the hot loads, just to try. That first shot will be "inspected" What gets me is the Factory stuff. Nothing in my Hornady book, comes close to the fps. numbers on the Factory box.<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMC mustang</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Am I the only guy who hasn't had good results with VARGET in a 5R? LOL

I've used VARGET for years in several other calibers with great success. The consistent 1 MOA groups I get with VARGET has me scratching my head, both RE-15 and IMR 4064 both provide consistent .5 MOA groups in my gun with 175 SMKs and Nosler CCs. </div></div>

While this thread is a 5R appreciation society one here is mine:
http://i820.photobucket.com/albums/zz128/Muskett_2009/IMG_4487.jpg

Feeding it 165 Hornady and 168 Hornady ballistic tips. It shoots both so tight that in all honesty I can't tell the difference other than a few clicks between the two. Both group as tight as I can shoot, and it keeps it like that as far as I want to go.

What I like about the 5R is that it isn't ammo fussy and even better when you find something that it likes which isn't difficult. From very good to give a custom a run for its money. All from an off the shelf rifle.

Mine with all the toys was less than a custom on its own:
Standard trigger just with a bit of work done to ensure it was sweet.
NF rings and bases, Zeiss Victory scope 60 illum reticule,
Seekins mag housing that takes 10 or 5 AI mags.
Atlas and Accupod,
Quick Silver Moderator
Hunters cheek piece,
And a knob job.

Its my culling rifle and though a bit long will take the 308 as far as the 308 can go. Like to know how 300WM owners are getting on.

starting to make me think twice about piecing something together and just getting a 5r.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shoot 1st</div><div class="ubbcode-body">starting to make me think twice about piecing something together and just getting a 5r.</div></div>

Get a 5R shoot it then when you feel you want to bite the bullet and go full length custom ditch the stock and barrel and build off the action. I've had mine for two years now (i think)maybe three and i do love it, it's an excellent factory rifle but the end product is and always was intended to be something else. I might keep the barrel when i rebarrel though. Right now it's sitting in a McM A-5.

Loading up some Berger 168Gr Hybrids this weekend to try out. Probably start with varget, find a group, then load some for single feed and mag length and see the results i can get. Man oh man these things are purdy
smile.gif

From left to right
168gr VLD, 168gr Hybrid, 175gr BT LR.
soyb8z.jpg

I love my 5R (.308 with 24" barrel) so far.....only been to the range once and then shipped it off to Phoenix Custom Rifles (PCR) to get some work done. Here are my results from my first range visit along with some pictures of the rifle before sending it to PCR:

R700Milspec5R_ResultsSummary_30Dec2011-1.jpg

Range results based on this configuration with the original factory HS stock:

Infidel_0046-1.jpg

What it looked like before shipping it to PCR to have the barreled action cerakoted, Timney trigger installed, threading for a suppressor, and a PCR bolt knob installed:

Infidel_0058-1.jpg

I can't wait to get it back in my hands and out to the range. The 5R could soon be my favorite rifle.

You guys are killing me!!

I have my new .300WM 5R mounted in a Mcree Precision stock and I have ordered a Vortex Razor 5-20x50....I can't wait!!!