• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Remington selling refurbished military M24s

Re: Remington selling refurbished military M24s

Pretty cool idea....unless you've never served in the military
smile.gif
...then you have a less than realistic chance of getting one.
Regardless, $3,500 for a VERY used Remington 700 is steep to me.
I'm sure that they will have no problem selling them.

Looks like the raffle is open to civilians. Speaking of the raffle, anybody have a link to where you can enter it? The flyer PDF just said "Raffle tickets here!"

I actually bought one. Looks well used, with Krylon camo. There is basically no other situation where you can own a recent actual used-in-combat US military rifle.

Here is my group. 10 shots, 100 yards, 10x scope, 0.53 inches.

m24.jpg

m24lo.jpg

First: rsilvers, you posted a pic of that exact same rifle in the M40A1 picture thread in April 2010.

Second: The flyer says that the barreled action was going to be removed and an entire new barrel, action, and trigger group would be installed. Seems like a rip-off considering they're replacing the very heart of the rifle.

I bought my rifle in 2009.

My apologies rsilvers, I thought they were just now selling them. I have to wonder, if they replaced the barreled action, how did they get the camo to blend.

They are just selling them now as a program now that XM2010s are taking over - but I have been an employee since 2009.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DocBach</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How much do they want for them? </div></div>

The link above stated the price was going to be $3500 per system

Wow that's a really cool deal wish i had the funds

well considering that's for a new barreled action, old stock, scope, case etc. That's not too bad. I am not an 8541 or I would jump on that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMC_4_life</div><div class="ubbcode-body">well considering that's for a new barreled action, old stock, scope, case etc. That's not too bad. I am not an 8541 or I would jump on that. </div></div>

8541+M24= ?????

Pretty cool deal, don't think I'll have a spare $3500 right now though. Guess I'll hope the raffle deal goes live in the near future.

If I was going to spend $3500 on that rifle system, I'd much rather have the used barrel and action. Rsilvers, convince them to sell whole rifle unaltered, at least just one to me!
smile.gif

Called Remington twice today, the first person I talk too wasn't aware of the sales of the refurbished, and suggested I call back later. The second person was aware of refurb and raffle and told me if you had to purchase tickets at shot show but not be there in person to win.

Road Trip, I wish.............

Can't wait. Just one week till SHOT!

My GAP Crusader shoots as good or better then the M24 rifles and is better built. Maybe the US Army should consider ordering GAP rifles instead of Remingtons
It will cost you 3700 for a brand new GAP crusader built the way you want it instead of a used Remington

I must be missing something....

New receiver, barrel, and trigger mechanism.

Isn't it THOSE parts- the rifle itself- that made them desirable in the first place? I don't know much about the military sniper system- but weren't these weapons painstakingly re-worked, actions trued, etc. by military armorers to make them what they are (or "were")...

What exactly about these makes them any better than a prodction 700 coming off the line, and worth thousands more??

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wannashootit</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What exactly about these makes them any better than a prodction 700 coming off the line, and worth thousands more?? </div></div>Nothing. And it isn't.

They are neither cheap, nor original, nor will it have collector's value as a rifle. And whether the parts like the stock have collector value remains to be seen.

Unless it's the original, unaltered rifle, it looks like a tourist trap to me. What am I missing?

Ill keep my GAP TIS Special.

TTT, existing thread on the M24

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wannashootit</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What exactly about these makes them any better than a prodction 700 coming off the line, and worth thousands more?? </div></div>Nothing. And it isn't.

They are neither cheap, nor original, nor will it have collector's value as a rifle. And whether the parts like the stock have collector value remains to be seen.

Unless it's the original, unaltered rifle, it looks like a tourist trap to me. What am I missing? </div></div>

Sounds like Remington will be including the brand new receiver and 5R barrel, adj.trigger made to original Mil spec. plus include the accessories that were originally shipped, including the scope, mounts, shipping container, etc:

m24sws.jpg

The M24SWS by itself was a $3300 rifle through Remington previously.

The sights are ~$600 (iron back up) The scope is $1399, the rings maybe $120, the Base $100 so when you add those parts together thats $2219. That leaves $1380 for the rifle, without factoring the case... so in other words it's probably a decent deal if the M3A isn't totally worn out- if the glass isn't scratched and if the gun does actually meet the original accuracy specs and perform more or less like a new rifle.

The M24 is an aging system - pretty much obsoleted at this point, but it is still a damn site better than a PSS IMO. I once put 9 of 10 rounds into a 6x6" target at 600 meters in a 15 mph full value wind with one of the Army issue guns.

Reading through this thread, I was curious on any unique properties to the barrelled receiver. I had assumed the barrel was a hammer-forged Rem "5R" to a different exterior profile. Is the chamber cut different?

Don't be confused by the two different rifles. Remington sells a Remington 700 Stainless 24" Barrel .308 5-R MilSpec Rifling Part number 29663. There are LOTS of folks that are thinking this is the M24 and it isn't. Not even close. Google this or look on Gunbroker for pics.

Remington, for this 25th Anniversary M24, is providing a NEW M24 Receiver, NEW M24 Barrel which is a 24" 5R barrel chambered for 7.62mm, and a NEW M24 Trigger on top of a used parts and accessories from a returned Army M24 SWS in the product upgrade program for the XM2010 SWSs.

The only thing similar in barrels between the former and the latter is the style of rifling.

Then of course you can always put out a little more money and get a brand new M24 SWS or rifle only

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wannashootit</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I must be missing something....

New receiver, barrel, and trigger mechanism.

Isn't it THOSE parts- the rifle itself- that made them desirable in the first place? I don't know much about the military sniper system- but weren't these weapons painstakingly re-worked, actions trued, etc. by military armorers to make them what they are (or "were")...

What exactly about these makes them any better than a prodction 700 coming off the line, and worth thousands more?? </div></div>

In my opinion, you are correct, the barreled action is the rifle. Its been said that a buyer of these 25th anniversary M24s will get stocks that are painted and so on, finish wearing off various parts. I wouldn't buy one myself unless I could put my hands on it first to examine how worn out the other parts are. Scope condition, etc.

The fact that you're not getting the issue M24 receiver with the "US" property stamp sort of ruins it for me. Of course I wouldn't want a barrel that's had 12,000 rds through it so I'd prefer it to have a new barrel.

However Army armorers did not tinker or rework these weapons. That was one of the Army's specifications that it be an off the shelf, ready to shoot weapons system right out of the box. I think you must be referring to the USMC's M40A1/3/5 series of sniper rifles. They are custom built at Quantico not by Remington.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EODsix</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> In my opinion, you are correct, the barreled action is the rifle. Its been said that a buyer of these 25th anniversary M24s will get stocks that are painted and so on, finish wearing off various parts. I wouldn't buy one myself unless I could put my hands on it first to examine how worn out the other parts are. Scope condition, etc.

The fact that you're not getting the issue M24 receiver with the "US" property stamp sort of ruins it for me. Of course I wouldn't want a barrel that's had 12,000 rds through it so I'd prefer it to have a new barrel.

However Army armorers did not tinker or rework these weapons. That was one of the Army's specifications that it be an off the shelf, ready to shoot weapons system right out of the box. I think you must be referring to the USMC's M40A1/3/5 series of sniper rifles. They are custom built at Quantico not by Remington. </div></div>
There was no Army armorers that could service the M24. If the sniper couldnt fix it with parts in the deployment kit it had to ship to Remington. EOD is spot on. I had a burr on my boltface once. Kept peelling brass off the cartrage and jamming up the extractor and ejector. I would have been screwd. Sniper team 3 would have been out of business until it made it back from Remington. At the time I was 25th ID in Hawaii. Had some great friends from STA in K-bay on the other side off the island. We grabbed a military vehicle, the rifle and made a road trip to the Marine Base on the other side of the island. Met up with the STA Gunny, got walked to the armory building, he conducted the secret knock on the door, the slot window opened. I explained my rifle's illness and passed it off to the pair of eyeballs in the little window. A few hours later I was back in the shooting business. I still love Marines.

Reactions: Troglodyte6

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Boomholzer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Reading through this thread, I was curious on any unique properties to the barrelled receiver. I had assumed the barrel was a hammer-forged Rem "5R" to a different exterior profile. Is the chamber cut different? </div></div>

To me it sounds like an M24 quality action for a reasonable price. I doubt Remington would pull fraud on everyone and turn out a bunch of low quality shit that looked like an M24 and try to pawn it off as a rebuilt M24.

They always did take orders for M24's stripped no optics or sights- no case etc - the price was $3300. So this still seems like a good value on something Remington says is an M24.

Is the gun not an M24?? I heard Obermeyer supplied some or maybe even all barrels, but in my experience 3 M24's might have 3 different style barrel crowns even- but they all were issued M24's. So in other words I'm not even sure all the issued guns were exactly the same.

So I don't know where being a purist ends and this rifle actually being a functionally different item begins.

I'm baffled about the negative responses posted on this package?

When the USMC/McMillan M40A1 stocks hit the market, collectors went apeshiit trying to build clones. And what price did they actually end up paying when completed?

When Brack Wilson/Starlite Cases sold 120 USMC Barrett M82A1 at $4600, collectors resold them for over 5X that price. Yes, those were complete original systems. But still...

If it's a marketing gimic, hats off to Remington. The 24 maybe a bit dated and the M3A was NOT my favorite optic, but STILL. I'm hooked. I want one. Comes down to what the system sells for. My unit had 21's when I came in. I was nothing but thrilled with getting the 24. I'd love to own one, even the rebuild.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: predator3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If it's a marketing gimic, hats off to Remington. The 24 maybe a bit dated and the M3A was NOT my favorite optic, but STILL. I'm hooked. I want one. Comes down to what the system sells for. My unit had 21's when I came in. I was nothing but thrilled with getting the 24. I'd love to own one, even the rebuild. </div></div>

Not at all a gimmick. It's an example of firearm industry leadership. Remington was purchased by the Freedom Group (Cerberus)years ago. When the FY2010 Defense Appropriations Bill authorized $5.8Million on M24 upgrades for approx. 700 rifles , they took the challenge and won over bids from both AI and Sako. That contract was worth more than $8,000 per rifle. It now includes approx. 2000 rifles, or about $16Million in sales. Care to guess what that project managers take-home bonus is gonna be?

And about the M3A optic, back in the day it was the top of the line American manufactured scope. Its competitors included Leatherwood, Redfield, Weaver, B&L, Lyman, Shepherd, Phrobis. The European brands were Swarovski, Zeiss, and Hensoldt, all mostly had non-centered reticles at the time with oddball ranging patterns.

(legal disclaimer I do not directly hold shares in these companies)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Griffin Armament</div><div class="ubbcode-body">To me it sounds like an M24 quality action for a reasonable price. I doubt Remington would pull fraud on everyone and turn out a bunch of low quality shit that looked like an M24 and try to pawn it off as a rebuilt M24.

They always did take orders for M24's stripped no optics or sights- no case etc - the price was $3300. So this still seems like a good value on something Remington says is an M24.

Is the gun not an M24?? I heard Obermeyer supplied some or maybe even all barrels, but in my experience 3 M24's might have 3 different style barrel crowns even- but they all were issued M24's. So in other words I'm not even sure all the issued guns were exactly the same.

So I don't know where being a purist ends and this rifle actually being a functionally different item begins. </div></div>

Well sure like you said in your first post the barreled action IS the gun and since you would be getting a NEW barreled action in the M24 25th Anniversary package, that makes it a pretty good buy. Also I'm sure that Remington isn't going to put broken stocks on the new actions and sell them that way. However these stocks and scopes and trigger guards and so on have had a lot of wear. Remington isn't going to refinish these weapons and scopes. The finished product will indeed be an M24 with a nearly complete package of parts and accessories. Remington did say in the flyer that the package would include most of the parts and tools.

Remington isn't trying to fraud anyone, what I said before is that some consumers are confusing another weapon that Remington sells. The packaging label doesn't say anything at all about being an M24 but because it's 1) Remington, 2) .308, 3) 5R barrel, there are dealers that saying it is "like M24" when it really isn't. The AK-74 has a 5R barrel which is where this technology really comes from. Obermeyer as I understand it, designed the barrel, Mike Rock produced the early barrels for Remington before they got their hammer forge machines and then Remington essentially put Mike Rock out of business and subsequently rebarreled all the M24s that had Mike Rock's barrels. Remington has made all the barrels since the very early days.

As for the differences you encountered, I agree also. Take for instance the iron sight bases. There are several variations on both front and rear bases within the realm of the Redfield sights. I know for a fact that Remington made the front sight base in-house for the M24 and 40X rifles. It's nearly identical to Redfield's sight base but not exactly the same. The rear sight bases have had many variations as well.

My point is that "let the buyer beware". NEW M24 Barreled Action in a well used stock with a scope that may have scratched glass and half the black worn off, worn out sling, some missing tools or parts in the D-Kit. Just be prepared. The "US" stamp on the receiver will be absent since you're getting the new receiver. If those things DO NOT MATTER to you then it IS a GOOD BUY.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EODsix</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't be confused by the two different rifles..... </div></div>

I am aware of the Rem 5R, I owned one. I was curious on any accuracy enhancements or differences in the manufacturing or design of the M24 barrelled action. I was not implying any ill towards it. I honestly never paid much attention to them.

So the response is that it is a M24.....it is new, it is quality, it is different AND it looks different; because it is a M24.

I don't understand the hype. They are way over prived, there are better rifles for much less money. I don't see the historical value, hell if you want historical value, buy a CMP M1 Garand.

If it didn't say 'SNIPER' we wouldn't even be discussing this.

Maybe I'm ranting, I just bought two boxes of Remington Ammo that takes two or three primer hits to get it to go off their quality control people wont answer my e-mails.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Boomholzer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EODsix</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't be confused by the two different rifles..... </div></div>

I am aware of the Rem 5R, I owned one. I was curious on any accuracy enhancements or differences in the manufacturing or design of the M24 barrelled action. I was not implying any ill towards it. I honestly never paid much attention to them.

So the response is that it is a M24.....it is new, it is quality, it is different AND it looks different; because it is a M24. </div></div>

I cannot attest to your first paragraph, I've never handled one of the Rem 5Rs and really I can't tell you exactly what Remington's magic is on the M24s barreled actions.

You are spot on in your paragraph 2 though.

I agree with Lockedandloaded.Used M40A1 stocks go for a grand, and some are beat up fairly well. Look at the price of the Old Green Redfields and MST's. Folks drop thousands on building "Tribute" rifles on New Receivers. How much did the Remington M40 SSA Commemorative go up in value. Yes there are much better rifles out there, but one day, someone will be wanting to build an "Correct to Spec" rifle and be willing to drop the change on that Scratched scope, worn out Stock or the case alone. And as far as history goes, I'm sure the M24 has claimed its fair share of the count.

I always had the impression the M24 was built on a blueprinted action.

AKA 40X action.

If this is true... that's an up-sell for sure.

Of course information is a little lacking from Remington on the actual specs.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: predator3</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EODsix</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> In my opinion, you are correct, the barreled action is the rifle. Its been said that a buyer of these 25th anniversary M24s will get stocks that are painted and so on, finish wearing off various parts. I wouldn't buy one myself unless I could put my hands on it first to examine how worn out the other parts are. Scope condition, etc.

However Army armorers did not tinker or rework these weapons. That was one of the Army's specifications that it be an off the shelf, ready to shoot weapons system right out of the box. I think you must be referring to the USMC's M40A1/3/5 series of sniper rifles. They are custom built at Quantico not by Remington. </div></div>
There was no Army armorers that could service the M24. If the sniper couldnt fix it with parts in the deployment kit it had to ship to Remington. EOD is spot on. I had a burr on my boltface once. Kept peelling brass off the cartrage and jamming up the extractor and ejector. I would have been screwd. Sniper team 3 would have been out of business until it made it back from Remington. At the time I was 25th ID in Hawaii. Had some great friends from STA in K-bay on the other side off the island. We grabbed a military vehicle, the rifle and made a road trip to the Marine Base on the other side of the island. Met up with the STA Gunny, got walked to the armory building, he conducted the secret knock on the door, the slot window opened. I explained my rifle's illness and passed it off to the pair of eyeballs in the little window. A few hours later I was back in the shooting business. I still love Marines. </div></div>

Wow...no shit...

I know jack about how our military purchases, distributes and services it's weapon systems. But sure as hell seems ridiculous that the armorers could not service a 700 action? What would be the reasoning behind that?

Curious...
<span style="font-style: italic">IF</span>you had turned in your rifle, and it was shipped back to Remington for repair- what happens then? Would you get a replacement rifle "permanently", or a "loaner" (shitty term, but you get my point) until your rifle came back?

Howz all that work?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wannashootit</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: predator3</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EODsix</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> In my opinion, you are correct, the barreled action is the rifle. Its been said that a buyer of these 25th anniversary M24s will get stocks that are painted and so on, finish wearing off various parts. I wouldn't buy one myself unless I could put my hands on it first to examine how worn out the other parts are. Scope condition, etc.

There was no Army armorers that could service the M24. If the sniper couldnt fix it with parts in the deployment kit it had to ship to Remington. EOD is spot on. I had a burr on my boltface once. Kept peelling brass off the cartrage and jamming up the extractor and ejector. I would have been screwd. Sniper team 3 would have been out of business until it made it back from Remington. At the time I was 25th ID in Hawaii. Had some great friends from STA in K-bay on the other side off the island. We grabbed a military vehicle, the rifle and made a road trip to the Marine Base on the other side of the island. Met up with the STA Gunny, got walked to the armory building, he conducted the secret knock on the door, the slot window opened. I explained my rifle's illness and passed it off to the pair of eyeballs in the little window. A few hours later I was back in the shooting business. I still love Marines. </div></div>

Wow...no shit...

I know jack about how our military purchases, distributes and services it's weapon systems. But sure as hell seems ridiculous that the armorers could not service a 700 action? What would be the reasoning behind that?

Curious...
<span style="font-style: italic">IF</span>you had turned in your rifle, and it was shipped back to Remington for repair- what happens then? Would you get a replacement rifle "permanently", or a "loaner" (shitty term, but you get my point) until your rifle came back?

Howz all that work?

</div></div>

It's because the Army didn't have qualified personnel to do the work of master rifle builders like GAP or APA. Remington had real gun builders capable of quality work.

The Army has the USAMTU shop, but they build competition guns- they don't have enough personnel to service 6000 sniper rifles of three different types from the big army side alone. The AMTU shop is busy building competition pistols and rifles for the Army shooting team.

So when the guns go down, they were shipped to their manufacturer per the contract, and then fixed and returned. Typically the guys were taught to be careful with the guns and service between deployments if necessary.

On the M24- aside from some trigger issues, or a bad crown from field abuse, the guns typically don't go down in ways the shooter can't fix with the tool kit. Barrels wear out in 10K-20,000 rounds

Kind of on topic...
A 21 year old M24 pic I forgot I had...
1991m24.jpg

The reason why some of us would pay for it is due to a close tie to this particular weapon system. I'm B4 and served close to three years on sniper team and I would love to own one of these.

So who's ponying up the dough? Im on the fence on this one... they are including all the deployment kit "fluff" that I dont really need.

3500? Is it worth it? Im not sure. I loved my time with the m24 but 3500 is a tough pill to swallow.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Griffin Armament</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I always had the impression the M24 was built on a blueprinted action.

AKA 40X action.

If this is true... that's an up-sell for sure.

Of course information is a little lacking from Remington on the actual specs. </div></div>
Probably not a 40X action as the 40X is only available in Short-Action.

As a shooter I would think these are good rifles but not worth the $$$. As a collectible, they will become more valuable as time goes on and the true story about their origin becomes more convoluted. FWIW...

The M24 "refurb" or M24R is in fact a real M24, it uses a new barrel, action, bolt and trigger. No it doesn’t have "U.S." roll stamped into the receiver as that stamp was discontinued years ago. It was never required by the US Government, therefore Remington discontinued doing it because it was more step in the build. The rifles that will be sold (none of them have yet) use the stock, floor plate, optics base, optics and accessories that were not required for the XM2010. The receivers could not be used for the M24R because they were either used on the XM2010 or were too damaged to be used, therefore no one will get the serial number they had while on active duty. Each of the initial rifles will come as a complete kit until the parts are exhausted. There were a number of changes to the M24 over its life, namely the change from a one piece optics base to a two piece as well as a change in the iron sights from Redfield Palma rear and Olympic front to RPA sights. Therefore, rifles may have either type of base or type of iron sights depending on what is available. The rifle system will be as complete as possible; however there may be some missing accessories depending on availability. Also, in some cases some accessories may be used while in others they may be new, again depending on what is available. The M24 uses a standard Remington 700 long action that is built by the M24 shop; much like the custom shop in that each rifle is built by a craftsman. The action does undergo a higher level of quality control than the main line 700 actions and the barrels and actions are closely monitored for fit and trueness during the built.
With regards to the lack of response from Remington on this program; the problem is that the infrastructure needed to process these orders was not established prior to the program being announced. This was a significant mistake, however it is being addressed a quickly as possible at the present moment. In fact, some people have already been contacted.
With regards to the price; while some may think that $3500 is too much for a rifle such as this, that is their opinion as a consumer. Having built a rifle or two, I would say that $3500 for a heavy barreled military grade weapon with optics and accessories is a fair price; however it is for each person to decide for themselves. Whether or not the rifle will have collector value remains to be seen, however Remington believes that it is a fair price for what it is.