• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington SPS Varmint

jpistolero02

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 9, 2008
Austin, TX
After hanging around this site for a few months, I decided I wanted to try my hand at some long distance shooting. I have hunted all my life and have several non tactical rifles in various calibers. I don't consider myself a crack shot, but I don't feel I am lousy either. Anyway, I decided to start fairly cheap and purchased a Remington SPS Varmint in .308. I replaced the stock right away with a McMillan A-5 from Third Generation Shooting Supply. Tonight was my first chance to shoot the rifle and I only took along cheap Remington and Winchester 150 grain lead nose bullets to break-in the barrel. I don't know what I was expecting with these bullets, but I couldn't get them to group any tighter than about 1.5"-2". I realize this could be shooter error but has anyone had similar results? I am waiting on the rest of my handload supplies to get in so I can try some 175 grain MatchKings. Should I expect the groups to tighten up that much or should I look into other issues? Thanks in advance for the help.

Re: Remington SPS Varmint

Handloads should be much better. Every rifle is different, but my SPS-Varmint shot the Win 150 PSPs into about .5" at 100 pretty consistently.

Did you bed the stock? Is your barrel free floated? That can make a difference as well.

Also, after you get about 150-200 the Remy factory tubes tend to start shooting even better. Without a free floated barrel generally you can run into more flyers as the barrel vibrates off of the stock.

One practically free test option is to let someone else who is a very consistent shooter try your rifle.

It gets much much better with quality ammo, mine shot night and day better with my hand loads mostly 168gr smk's and a-max's, than it did with the cheap gray box winchester ammo i started out with.

I guess I did fail to mention I was shooting at 100 yards. I was flying solo tonight so I didn't have anyone else to try it out. The barrel is free floating although it favors the left side of the barrel channel. I was thinking about getting the barrel cut down and the action bedded. I guess we will see what happens with so handloads.

Same here. 168 SMK's with BLC2 shot in a competition and came in 4th place. I had the only factory rifle there. I would have placed higher but my pistol shooting is not that great.

if u cant hand load right now find some hornady tap 168 they seem to shoot good in every thing ive had in 308...Jgillam is right about the quality ammo.. dont get down about it just find out what it likes and shoot the mess out of it chaz

It should do better with handloads.

These are literally shots 4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11 and 12 ever fired from my spsv. Three different loads and bullet weights. It has continued to shoot very well though I did cut the 26" bbl back to 20"

168,175 and 155 3 shot groups 1/2" or under
IMG_9950.jpg

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Pg8IGFgJXXc"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Pg8IGFgJXXc" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Very nice shooting el Gordo. That is what I am looking for. What is your load for the 175? I have a bunch of Varget that I use for a couple of .223's so I was hoping I could find a load that could utilize it.